• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    Some have only a single gun, perhaps a .22LR. Some have many large gun safes chocked full of guns of various types and calibers. I imagine that most are somewhere in between. Each has different plans for what they intend to do in a SHTF event. Some want to bug out to the woods and live off the land. Others have identified a remote retreat where they plan to wait it out. A large segment of those who have prepared for the unknown plan to shelter in place, after all that is most likely where the preps and arsenal are located. My plan A is to shelter in place. However, I may have to vacate my home and shelter due to external events such as damage or potential damage to premises because of wildfires, floods, tornadoes, attacking mobs, chemical attacks, etc. My plan B is if something forces me out of my shelter I will leave by my pick up truck. I have prepared a Bug Out Bag or BOB. It contains gear, water, and food to sustain life for a "few days". Anything beyond that will have to be worked out on the fly. Thankfully, I live in a semi rural area in the central Texas Hill Country. I believe in general that watching what is happening in urban areas around me will give me an idea of what is happening and what will be coming my way in the future.

What about firearms? Sheltering in place gives tremendous advantages. You have access to your entire battery of weapons, ammunition cache, and for many, reloading equipment and components for resupply. The question becomes how many firearms, what types and calibers, and how much ammo can you carry if you have to leave your shelter.

Let's look at what you expect from your firearms in a bug out senerio. Primary is protection of yourself, your family, and your group. Secondary, perhaps is harvesting wildlife for food. Ideally you would like to have different weapons for different jobs. Handguns for close distance jobs like personal protection and threats like snakes. Rifles for longer distances whether the targets be human or wildlife.

What to take with you? I subscribe to handguns and rifles of a single caliber, .357 Magnum. Revolvers for close work, concealable and a round that can do the job. Rifles for longer distances. Sticking to a single caliber greatly simplifies logistics.

I suggest a .357 Magnum revolver for each adult and each young person who has been properly trained in their use. Revolvers are famous for reliability and simple use, pull the trigger and they go bang. It is much easier to collect spent cases from a revolver than a semi automatic which flings empty fired cases into the weeds. The empty cases can be easily reloaded in the field, more on that later. If you feel you must have a semi automatic handgun, the Desert Eagle and Coonan are produced in .357 Magnum.

What about rifles? I propose a bolt action rifle with a scope chambered in .357 Magnum for longer distance shots whether sniping or hunting. For more rapid fire at distant or mid ranges I propose a lever action in .357 Magnum.

Lets look at the .357 Magnum cartridge. Developed in 1934 by Elmer Keith, Phillip Sharpe, and Douglas Wesson. Based on the existing .38 Special cartridge, the .357 Magnum is the same straight rimmed case, only slightly longer allowing more powder for increased performance. The .357 Magnum is known for its terminal ballistics in hunting and defense. It was the go to gun for police forces during the 1950's and 1960's. With bullet weights ranging from 125 grains to 158 grains the cartridge archives velocities from 1,200 to 1,600 fps, energy from 400 to 700 foot pounds, and penetration from 9 to 15 inches, depending on how they are loaded. Deer are commonly taken each year at moderate distances with the .357 Magnum.

It is common knowledge that the lighter .38 Special cartridge can be fired in guns chambered for .357 Magnum, but not vice versa. This is helpful in a couple of ways. One, .38 Special ammunition is cheaper to purchase than .357 Magnum and has less recoil so may be a good regime for training. Second, because of the lighter recoil, firing .38 Special may be a good option for youth, the elderly, and anyone who because of physical limitations or infirmities cannot handle the stronger recoil of the. 357 Magnum. Firearms chambered in. 357 Magnum that have had .38 Special fired in them should be fully cleaned before. 357 Magnum is fired in them. This is because the shorter. 38 Special cartridge leaves space in the. 357 Magnum chamber that can be fouled.

Because the .38 Special and .357 Magnum cartridges are both rimmed straight cases, they are some of the easiest to reload. Reloading becomes extremely important when it becomes difficult to obtain manufactured ammunition, such as in times of unrest. Reloading can be done with equipment ranging from simple and inexpensive to complex automatic and expensive equipment. If able to stay in your home base with whatever reloading equipment and supplies you have, reloading is a great way of resupply. However, if you have to bug out and are on the run, you need a small, practical method of reloading.

This is where having a single caliber really shines. It means that the same equipment and supplies can supply ammunition for your entire battery of firearms. Let's look at such a system. I will make the following assumptions. Guns include two revolvers, a 2" barrel and a 4" barrel, a bolt action rifle with a scope, and a lever action rifle, all chambered in. 357 Magnum. You bug out with these four guns and 50 rounds of. 38 Special manufactured ammunition and 150 rounds of. 357 Magnum manufactured ammunition, a Lee Loader in either .38 Special or .357 Magnum caliber, one pound of Unique smokeless gunpowder, 1000 small pistol primers, and 1000 .38/.357 plated manufactured flatnosed bullets. An alternative to the manufactured bullets would be 22 pounds of lead and a .38 Special/.357 Magnum bullet mold. With this equipment and supplies you can reload 1000 fired cartridges in the field. The Lee Precision website states that a .38 Special Lee Loader can reload .38 Special and .357 Magnum, and a .357 Magnum Lee Loader can reload .357 Magnum and. 38 Special cartridges. So, either one will reload both calibers.

If you are not familiar with the Lee Loader, it is a small collection of tools sold by the Lee Precision company that provides the equipment needed to reload a single caliber, in this case two calibers. It is very inexpensive, very manual, and very slow. There are lots of videos on YouTube on using Lee Loaders.

What is the cost of such a setup to reload in the field. I won't address the cost of the firearms because of the many models available, new and used, ranging from a couple of hundred to over a thousand dollars each.

The following are current MSRP approximate prices and are currently available from sporting goods stores, eBay, or on line vendors. They do not include shipping or taxes.
    Lead is available at local scrap yards and recycling sites.

One box .38 Special Ammunition $ 20
    Three boxes .357 Magnum Ammunition @ $ 25 = $ 75
    One Lee Loader, .38 Special or .357 Magnum $ 41
    1000 Small Pistol Primers $ 35
    One pound Unique Smokeless Gunpowder $ 30
    1000 .38/.357 Plated Flat Nose Bullets $ 100

Alternatively, instead of purchasing bullets:
    22 pounds of lead @ $ 0.45 per pound = $ 10
    One .38/.357 two cavity bullet mold $ 25
    One bottle Lee Alox Bullet Lube $ 7

With this setup you can reload 1000 .357 Magnum or 1400 .38 Special cartridges using the cases of the original manufactured ammunition you begin with. This can be done almost anywhere including sitting around a campfire in the woods. Using a soup can or almost any metal container you can cast the lead bullets over the campfire if you choose the cast bullet option. If casting bullets, you will need to lubricate them to prevent lead fouling in the barrel. Place cast bullets in almost any container, pour in a little Alox Lube, and shake.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I had a Vietnam vet buddy years ago when I was out west. He had one rifle, I think a .308 which he was very, very good with. When I (much younger than he) messed with him about not having more options and back ups he simply said if/when the time came he could use that rifle to take whatever rifle the other guy was carrying.

Old saying about "fear the man with one gun" as he likely knows how to use it well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Some good points. Lots of thought went into it I expect.

Different situations require different solutions. Traveling light and over a long time, what you post has some validity to it.

If my Family of 6 were to bug out, I think I'd possibly specialize. At least 1 kid would have a 22 Rifle, maybe 2.
    22LR is light to carry and can acquire LOTS of food.
    Multiple ARs, scoped 308 and 9mm pistols. Why because I have those. My 38 pistols are C&$ and about 100 years old.

Suppressors will be important to keep others from finding us as easily. Suppressed 22 can gather food and help from being located as easily

I have the vehicles to take lots of stuff and drive far.
    If I had to drive far and survive in the woods, I'd be bringing lots of stuff with me and have to adjust my plan when I get there.
    If there was a situation truely requiring bugging out and driving far, Highly likely I may have to fend my self off of others and if that is the case, I need firepower. I may even need to barter. Food, Ammo and guns will be the commodity. I need ammo that will be in demand by the masses.
    Other than having food, camping gear and Guns, I have not thought that far cause the things that are more probable, have consumed my time.

Hope I never have to do that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are bugging out, and carrying stuff, I agree with one caliber.

If you are going to bug in, why not have options. Revolvers are reliable, until they are not. And when they have problems, it typically takes a gunsmith to fix them.

Even a bolt rifle, .357 is not going to reach out like a real rifle cartridge.

Any point the many calibers idea is, if things are bad for a while, you will have a firearm for any ammunition that you happen to find.

As for reloading, in a bug out situation, I would not consider it. For bug in, why not have a real press and dies for the calibers you have firearms for.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is still carry two. A 5.56 and a 9mm. You can still take most medium game if you’ve got the right round and are mildly careful. I don’t need to carry hundred and hundreds of handgun ammo. If I’ve had to resort to my handgun, I am probably not making it out of whatever situation. 5.56/.223 and 9mm can be found most places and don’t weigh a ton.

I certainly would not do .38/.357. Sure they can be okay, but you probably aren’t reaching out to 300 or 400yds. A revolver is sure reliable. It also is limited to 6-8 rounds and a much slower reload than a semi-auto.

I am not worried about reloading my Ammo if I am bugging out. Why the heck would I be?

I don’t really need ammo for an army and several lifetimes. If the world is ending, I probably am not going to use more than a few hundred rounds for life. It’s not like I am going to be spending ammo or making crap loads of noise by target shooting. It’s going to be hunting, self defense and some limited teaching my kids or ensuring zero.

If it’s self defense, again I am likely not firing more than a few hundred rounds. And as much as I like my odds, I doubt I am going to do that more than a couple times in my life before I am not making it out.

Oh, sure. I don’t want to take a 20 round box in to the apocalypse, but I am not worrying about supplying an army either. I have reloading stuff more because it’s enjoyable and for some calibers I can save some money. Most of my calibers I’ve got at least 1k rounds.

I don’t need to reload them if the world ends. If I am bugging out I am probably carrying my 10/22 and 2k rounds, a couple 9mm handguns and probably 500 rounds. A couple AR-15s and maybe 2k rounds. Also my 6.5 Grendel AR and probably 500 rounds.

And then if I had to hoof it each family member gets a gun except my daughter who just turns 8 and hasn’t shot a gun yet (I aim to change that soon).

And I’d take some small fraction of that ammo. Probably a brick for the 10/22. A few loaded mags for the handguns. Probably like 360 rounds for the 5.56 AR-15s and maybe 200 for the Grendel.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you have one gun, I would definitely choose the AS-007 in 4.62x28 (with the gen 2 sights and a 1-4x scope). Its a bit rare, but I bought it cash and carry at a Virginia gun show with no background check. Ammo is scarce but IPs get it in regularly enough now that I can stack it high and deep (and wide). You can change the barrel out and put in in the pistol config with a brace, or put it in the 2-barrel belt fed config for the home invasion or rioting scenario. Of course, the gen 2 double compact suppressor is super quiet for hunting applications.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If you have one gun, I would definitely choose the AS-007 in 4.62x28 (with the gen 2 sights and a 1-4x scope). Its a bit rare, but I bought it cash and carry at a Virginia gun show with no background check. Ammo is scarce but IPs get it in regularly enough now that I can stack it high and deep (and wide). You can change the barrel out and put in in the pistol config with a brace, or put it in the 2-barrel belt fed config for the home invasion or rioting scenario. Of course, the gen 2 double compact suppressor is super quiet for hunting applications.

Winner!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    People are going to have to get this into their noggins.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The modern marvels have their place.

Still, there is much to be said for Glock's tried and true AKBAR4715 sniper model.

Attachments

• PY-617_Daisy-Match-Grade-Avanti_1467218363.jpg
      PY-617_Daisy-Match-Grade-Avanti_1467218363.jpg
      11.7 KB · Views: 1,028

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is still carry two. A 5.56 and a 9mm. You can still take most medium game if you’ve got the right round and are mildly careful. I don’t need to carry hundred and hundreds of handgun ammo. If I’ve had to resort to my handgun, I am probably not making it out of whatever situation. 5.56/.223 and 9mm can be found most places and don’t weigh a ton.
    I'm with you. I could even be convinced of a 9mm / 308 combo if hunting is a real consideration.

If your primary mission is self-defense against an attack on you in some sort of SHTF / no-rules situation, I'm just not sure how lever guns and revolvers in a hopped-up pistol caliber are going to cut it against dudes shooting at you with ARs. It doesn't have the range, it doesn't have the power, and good luck reloading fast in an extended fight.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No one right answer.

Again, bug in, more calibers, the more likely you can use any ammo your find later.

Bug out, how many people.

One or two people, 5.56 rifles and 9mm or 45 pistols. Possibly a .22 conversion and some .22 ammo for small game. Or maybe one .22 pistol.

Add more people, especially children, I would add at least a .22 rifle. And if more adults, a .308 rifle. I would probably stick with a single caliber for pistols.

Also, how are you bugging out? On foot? You will be seriously limited to how much ammo you can carry. Think not? Grab a case of 5.56 and carry it a mile. And that is without a rifle or food or anything else.

If in a vehicle, you can carry a lot more. In that case, even with 1 or 2, I would add at least one .22 rifle, one .22 handgun, and a LOT of .22 (you can barter the extra). And definitely a .308 rifle.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I mostly agree with the op, but chosen 2/4 calibers. I'll take the 38/357 combo and the 454 casull / 45 Colt combo. Out here in Colorado things are bigger and I wouldn't want to try taking a mule deer or elk or moose with a 357, and I don't have to roam too far to get into grizzly country.

I thought long and hard about using just 44 mag but I fell in love with my 3" sp101 for EDC and since I already had a Ruger Alaskan 454/45 this combo became a no-brainer.

Of course I have more calibers at home but these are where my focus is and what will travel with me whenever I leave my house.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think 5.56 with a LPVO wins this discussion. I can do just about anything 0-600y easily. There are better tools for the task, but I think that's the best do it all load out. Plus with a conversion kit you can shoot .22lr with enough accuracy to nab some small game

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

Rumor has it the Gen3 is going to have an optional bump bolt for rapid fire.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP is planning for an old school Survival Situation ala 1960's , whereby you disappear into the wilderness , live off the land, and rarely encounter other humans , and cast bullets around the campfire . Being he's in the Texas Hill Country , that may well have relevance to him .

I'll wager the OP has read the famous Skeeter Skelton article on the subject . ( I don't have a link handy , but google, and you'll easily find it . To cut to the chase, for Only ONE firearm , a 4in .357 .)

In that context, a .357 is still valid .

In that context , if you are bringing more than one firearm , then include a single shot .22lr rifle, and a cpl bricks of ammo .

A scope sighted .357 bolt action is overkill . A good .357 levergun will kill Bambi out to the limits of the ctg . If you wish a long range scoped rifle , bite the bullet, and add another caliber ( or reconsider your long range desires ) .

Of course , back East here , repelling gangs of home invaders is a bigger consideration than stalking Mule Deer through the sagebrush .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom