• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Well, I f'd up the install of my HK BFSIII. It took 3 weeks for me to get some time to do this. Needed to change out the blue hammer spring for the stronger one and one of the hammer spacers got away and is no place to be found. I've never lost anything in this work area before, so I must say that I'm surprised that I could not find it. I spent an hour looking for that damn thing. *sigh*

The manual says, "Note that the hammer has a left and right spacer held in by the hammer pin. Do not let them roll away." Haha. But it didn't say do not let them fly out of the assembly, hit the metal rung of your bench chair, and go into oblivion. My work area has a rug, and that usually deters long distance part travels.

Now, I am in search of a replacement part. :sad20:

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Well, I f'd up the install of my HK BFSIII. It took 3 weeks for me to get some time to do this. Needed to change out the blue hammer spring for the stronger one and one of the hammer spacers got away and is no place to be found. I've never lost anything in this work area before, so I must say that I'm surprised that I could not find it. I spent an hour looking for that damn thing. *sigh*

The manual says, "Note that the hammer has a left and right spacer held in by the hammer pin. Do not let them roll away." Haha. But it didn't say do not let them fly out of the assembly, hit the metal rung of your bench chair, and go into oblivion. My work area has a rug, and that usually deters long distance part travels.

Now, I am in search of a replacement part. :sad20:

If it is any consolation, I was installing a Gen III Binary trigger in one of my AR15s. I have built a dozen of AR lowers. I don't need to read any directions, right? I did not know that you had to put the selector switch in first. So while I was pulling the trigger out in order to install the selector switch, a very small spring shot across the room. I found it, but it took me a good long time. Also, by not re-installing the slave pins before removing the trigger, it made the process much more difficult. I never stop learning from my mistakes. LOL

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I've built AR lowers on this bench and have managed to not lose anything. That darned spacer, I have no idea where it could have went. I'm thinking wormhole to a different dimension.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I think I posted this earlier but I was curious to see how the binary trigger worked before I assembled it. I pulled the trigger and the thing just exploded into a mess of springs and parts all over my workroom. I spent an hour tracking down every part and then had to figure out how to put it back together from memory. I eventually prevailed.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I did receive a response from Franklin Armory today. They are looking to see if they have any spares hanging around. The ones they sell for the AR BFSIII aren't the same. I will continue looking around for that little bugger.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I did receive a response from Franklin Armory today. They are looking to see if they have any spares hanging around. The ones they sell for the AR BFSIII aren't the same. I will continue looking around for that little bugger.

Don't look low. If it sprang out of the receiver, maybe it's sitting on top of something higher than the floor. Maybe a lot higher.

Good Luck!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I don't think it sprung out. Nothing was under tension at that point. But, it did get loose while I was holding the trigger assembly 5 or 6 inches above my bench - "it flew" lol. Where is that third hand when you need it? I thought I heard it hit one of the metal rungs of my bench chair.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't think it sprung out. Nothing was under tension at that point. But, it did get loose while I was holding the trigger assembly 5 or 6 inches above my bench - "it flew" lol. Where is that third hand when you need it? I thought I heard it hit one of the metal rungs of my bench chair.

I know this is going to sound strange, but if your wife will come down and look for it, I bet she will find it.

I've lost springs and such over the years. Each time I looked and looked. I couldn't find it. Asked my wife to look for it and within minutes she finds it. She's looking for anything out of place, while your looking for something that you think you should know what it will look like.

It works.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I know this is going to sound strange, but if your wife will come down and look for it, I bet she will find it.

I've lost springs and such over the years. Each time I looked and looked. I couldn't find it. Asked my wife to look for it and within minutes she finds it. She's looking for anything out of place, while your looking for something that you think you should know what it will look like.

It works.

That special skill they have works against us (men) most of the time. My wife can spot a cookie crumb on the kitchen counter from the family room.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The instructions are really hard to follow. I got mine in pretty easily, but I still hate the gap between the selector and receiver on both sides. I can understand engineering in some tolerance, but that's just sloppy-looking ridiculous.

It shoots like a dream though, and I can swap 5.56 and .22 uppers all day long.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    The Franklin AK-C1 came in today! I am too busy to mess with it right now but here are a couple of quick pictures so you can see what comes in the box.

Attachments

• 20191002_094245.1.jpg
      20191002_094245.1.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 519
    • 20191002_094559.jpg
      20191002_094559.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 508
    • 20191002_094508.jpg
      20191002_094508.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 533

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Ummm… I hope you don't live in MD. The ban went into effect yesterday. Hide!

No, don't live in Maryland. Can you say infringe much?

That is a real shame though. These things did not come in until exactly one day after the ban in MD.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    It pays to have property in multiple states.

I think I know what my Christmas present this year is going to be... it's not a firearm, but it does involve fire and I can't play with it in MD.... but it will be fun to play with over the line.

Come on, Christmas!!

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    OK, so I got a little time to mess around with the new Franklin Armory AK-C1 binary trigger. Turns out that trigger pack is held in with the grip screw. That's it. The bottom of the inside of your AK frame must be basically flat. The trigger pack has cutouts for the trigger guard rivets but if you have an under folding stock with rear frame trunnion like the one in the third picture, it will not work. The trigger pack sets where the yellow box is drawn in the picture. The grip screw goes through where the orange circle is. The red X-Box can not be there and still let your trigger pack lay flat. I was planning on installing this Franklin trigger in a ten year old Drako that does not have a underfolder stock but it does have an underfolder style rear trunnion. Looks like it should work in a M92 PAP. I am going to wait till the Fostech trigger comes out before I decide what to do with this trigger.

Yellow circle: Set screw I presume to tighten against the grip screw tension.
    Green circle: Cuts for trigger guard rivets.
    Red circle: Grip screw threads.
    Yellow block: Binary trigger location
    Red Block: Rear trunnion brace that is in the way for installation. Found on underfolder stock models.
    Orange circle: Grip screw location.

Attachments

• 20191002_094245.1.jpg
      20191002_094245.1.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 413
    • 20191008_204025.1.jpg
      20191008_204025.1.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 392
    • wm_4675682.1.jpg
      wm_4675682.1.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 451

Users who are viewing this thread