• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I have a question for anyone willing to answer.

I finally got my hql and would like to purchase my first handgun. Unfortunately I currently live with family until I get an apartment later this year/early next year, who do not want firearms in the household. Can I legally store a hand gun at a close friends house (everyone there is over the age of 21) in a triple locked case with no ammo or magazines being stored with the firearm or at the same residence? It would just be the handgun itself without magazines or ammo. It would be in a double locked hard case with a trigger lock also. If this is possible would I need to leave a letter with them or statement of who has possession of the firearm along with contact info and hql number?

Be an American, buy the pistol. Keep the slide with you, it is not a firearm. Lock the rest in a box and keep it at your friends. You can be in a hurry to get it because your an American, remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    whats the difference between a triple locked case at someone elses house and one at your house?

If you cannot keep one at your house, rent until you can.

Why pay someone else to own a pistol when you can own it your self? To save money for more ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I don't see why people are saying this is illegal.

The term "receive" may be unclear, but I don't see how you can count storage as possession.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    And yes! No offense meant to anyone! If I am wrong, I'll admit it and thank you for the knowledge.

Cheers to all, as we agonize over getting it right...
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Woody, you are actually correct after all and I'm in error, mea culpa, mea cupla! The MSP put out an advisory a few months ago but for some reason they couldn't get it to post on their website. Can you believe it, they put out an advisory for the word "receive". They are making sure this get's taken care of and posted to their website. Peace

eTrvQtS.png

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Woody, you are actually correct after all and I'm in error, mea culpa, mea cupla! The MSP put out an advisory a few months ago but for some reason they couldn't get it to post on their website. Can you believe it, they put out an advisory for the word "receive". They are making sure this get's taken care of and posted to their website. Peace

eTrvQtS.png
    Thank you for posting that...I sure never saw it, and it does positively clarify.

Iron sharpens iron... Some sparks now and then are just part of the deal.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    Interesting, sooooo I'm confused again. Does that mean it is legal for a person to store a regulated firearm at another residence(who has no hql) as long as anyone at the house in question is over 21 and has not done anything to prohibit them from otherwise having the ability to own firearms?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Interesting, sooooo I'm confused again. Does that mean it is legal for a person to store a regulated firearm at another residence(who has no hql) as long as anyone at the house in question is over 21 and has not done anything to prohibit them from otherwise having the ability to own firearms?

LOL welcome to MD

I'd be willing to place a sizeable bet that even the wackadoodles that wrote all these laws don't understand them. Except Kirk, I believe Kirk had something to do with their construction.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016

Going by the letter of the MSP Advisory, it's totally "LEGAL" for you to loan your neighbor your handgun on a temporary basis. My initial understanding of the law was negated by the Advisory.

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    Going by the letter of the MSP Advisory, it's totally "LEGAL" for you to loan your neighbor your handgun on a temporary basis. My initial understanding of the law was negated by the Advisory.

I guess I might have to reconsider not waiting as long as it is legal then. These laws and bylaws are giving me a headache lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom