• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orlando

So I should just ignore the safety that's impossible to set and release without two hands, and the bolt that's hard to cock and the clip that will not go in?
    Just what are you saying. That's the definition of a service grade?

And I disagree with your assessment and your zeroing in on one reported problem that may or may not affect the functioning.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-50541.html
    I dont understand exact;y what you mean by the above post but
    that thread just confirms what I said earlier, only NM garands had timed locks.
    I have been collecting, shooting Garands for 20 years, have also built Garands from NOS parts, reaming headspacing installing barrels ,the whole deal. I know the workings of the Garand very well

Just beacuse you are having issues does not change the grade of the rifle. You have a Service Grade that needs some attention
    Have you completely dissasembled the rifle to the smallest parts, cleaaned and properly greased the rifle?
    A rifle that has heavy parkerizing or not cleaned and greased between the safety and trigger housing can be very hard to engage. Strip down the rifle , look parts over
    If you already did strip down the rifle make sure you did not installed the follower/slide backwards

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Yes it is heavily parkerized. And yes it was completely stripped down and oiled and greased, except for the trigger housing. The new clip is also heavily parkerized which is why I'll test it with one I knows works.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yes it is heavily parkerized. And yes it was completely stripped down and oiled and greased, except for the trigger housing. The new clip is also heavily parkerized which is why I'll test it with one I knows works.

Why are you having this discussion? If you're unhappy with a rifle you received from the CMP, then give them a call. Nothing anyone here is going to change the condition of the rifle. You seem to know enough, to believe there is a problem. Give the CMP a call and talk it over with them.

Orlando

CMP will make it right but if its something simple may as well fix it yourself. How about the follower/slide is it installed backwards?
    Remove the safety and grease that back of it where it rubs on the housing. Also make sure the window of the hammer spring housing isnt backwards, if it is it will be very difficult to engage the safety. The window in the hammer spring housing should be towards the safety, not seen when installed

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Why are you having this discussion? If you're unhappy with a rifle you received from the CMP, then give them a call. Nothing anyone here is going to change the condition of the rifle. You seem to know enough, to believe there is a problem. Give the CMP a call and talk it over with them.

Your right, I really didn't want to carry this conversation on in this post. I'll post in the rifle forum when I resolve the issues along with the beat up stock that looks like it was attacked by a Samurai. I decided to keep that as is.

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    They have a few new service grade receivers online, WRA and IHC. Parts are likely mixed and priced accordingly.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom