• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    But the bears are so cuddly and cute! :sarcasm:

The adult children in this state won't face reality until some jogger or hiker ends up as bear chow. And even then, unless it happens within a 5-file radius of their home or to one of their facebook friends, they'll ignore the problem as "something that only happens to others".

I am not paranoid about black bears. I've encountered them 100 times myself and know that black bears are generally very timid about human encounters. But as their numbers grow and they push into more populated areas, sooner or later they're going to lose their fear of people, and the shear number of bear/human encounters will mean that someone's going to accidentally end up in a bear's face, or between a momma bear and her cubs.

Hunting pressure is needed to keep the bear population down, keep them wary of humans, and keep them away from densely populated areas.

Maryland bear hunters are only delaying the full state expansion of the bear population in Maryland. And I'd like to see bears in every county of our state.

Bears can reduce overpopulated deer herds, especially where hunting is not allowed. And I love the chance of getting another Maryland bear permit. Someone just bagged a 559 pound bruin in Allegany County, Maryland

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    The black bears that are hunted generally do not eat deer. Near human populations they mostly eat garbage and are nuisances. You are just chock full of misinformation.

Dan, are you saying I should set up a tree stand over a well used dumpster?:D

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    The black bears that are hunted generally do not eat deer. Near human populations they mostly eat garbage and are nuisances. You are just chock full of misinformation.

2001 --- An ongoing cooperative study of fawn mortality between Penn State's College of Agriculture Sciences and the Pennsylvania Game Commission at two sites in Central Pennsylvania has revealed that black bears are major predators of fawns.

http://www.news.psu.edu/story/18668...e-study-shows-bears-are-major-predators-fawns

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You should hope it isn't true. If black bears prey on fawns, they will also learn to prey on pets. The only thing worse for the bear population than a lot of bear-garbage interactions will be a lot of bear-pet interactions. If fluffy gets mauled, the bear will die.

They might be doing it in the deep woods, because they are opportunistic, but in suburbia doe fawns will not be the easy targets. Human garbage and domestic pets will be the easy targets. Coyotes are already known in HoCo to take small dogs.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Maryland has put a dent in the black bears progress to overcome our state of Maryland. But we'll all have to get used to the realization...that black bears will eventually inhabit every county in our state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom