• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Would an out of state vendor be legally required to honor a subpoena froma MD Court Judge?

not quite a subpoena, but we got a surprise bill from Commonwealth of Virginia a while back for sales tax on furniture we bought in Carolina and had shipped to us. I doubt the NC furniture company freely offered this info to VA, so some out of state influence must have been involved for VA to get their list.

and this is the same govt that bans ar15's but ar10's are just fine, so not real reasonable to think judges or anyone else are informed enough to make decisions about firearms-related subpoenas or anything else.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    not quite a subpoena, but we got a surprise bill from Commonwealth of Virginia a while back for sales tax on furniture we bought in Carolina and had shipped to us. I doubt the NC furniture company freely offered this info to VA, so some out of state influence must have been involved for VA to get their list.

I think this is similar to why you can't buy tires over the counter at the Tire Rack depot in tax-free Delaware. All of the other ones let people do that. Tire Rack was apparently intimidated not to do that because so many Marylanders would be picking them up there. Or so I heard.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    and this is the same govt that bans ar15's but ar10's are just fine, so not real reasonable to think judges or anyone else are informed enough to make decisions about firearms-related subpoenas or anything else.

That's because an AR-10 is only two-thirds as powerful as an AR-15. :innocent0

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

King Willie Don, as governor, had MSP inspect trucks hauling furniture at the weigh/inspection stations. If the furniture was destined for a MD address and there was no record of MD sales/use tax being paid, the state mailed them (the recipient) a bill.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Totally legit. I was picked up yesterday on such a warrant. I have been tried, convicted, and am now on death row for being an accomplice in the murders of unicorns.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Can I believe some permutation of this is happening? Yes. MSP has gone beyond the letter of the law with banning rifles and I have seen assclowns brag on FB and elsewhere about building/buying/selling illegal AR configurations. Weren't there a few posts about MSP getting info from VA FFLs and door knocking last year?

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    One of my LEO buddies told me that he just executed three warrants brought to him by MSP for potential violations of Maryland's 2013 Gun Safety law.

Apparently, MSP is subpoenaing sales records for online vendors who will ship parts in to MD, and if the parts don't jive with the current law, warrants are issued.

He mentioned that MSP is also using records from sales of lowers to help target individuals. I don't know how that would be accomplished, but he said that it would be a "flag" to cross reference with the online sales records.

I don't doubt that at least part of this is true (I'd be stupid to doubt ANYTHING like this in this day and age), but it screams a little of big-brother-gov't snooping. The takeaway message for me was to be careful with online purchases.

MSP has their own team to execute their risk warrants. Unless your buddy is on the State team I am calling BS.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I would say 50/50 truth/BS. I think that if during an ATF audit at a dealer in another State that has had a large number of shipments of AR parts to a Maryland address, I would think a flag may go up. Then MSP would take that info and start looking into the address and how many other packages have been dropped off (USPS/UPS/FedEx). Then it's No Knock time. But if you purchased an upper for your legal AR lower and hat upper was an HBAR who cares. If you purchase M4 barrel for your legal AR that was a M4 before the Safety Act then who caress. Chris

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I think this is the most likely scenario. A personal aquantance of mine was prosecuted and convicted via crossreferencing his Facebook page with his history. He was unaware that he had become a prohibited person.

I suspect that MSP has compiled a database of all prohibited persons in MD and continually or automatically follow them on social media for possible violations.

The software tool would not be that hard to develop.

When overtime opportunities (3AM no-knock raids), and promotions are closely tied to the "number of guns seized" a motivated LEO would be dumb not to do this ^^^

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Did anyone see the story of the guy that bought cigarettes on line and now the state of Arizona has assessed taxes and penalties on him from 2006 and 2007 for back taxes owed since he bought them tax free? sorry I cant post a link right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom