• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Long and short I helped a buddy assemble a lower and everything was working fine when I gave it to him. I admittedly didn't have the upper to fit on it and didn't thread the buffer tube on enough so when he tossed an upper on it and charged it the Buffer Tube spring and Detent came out. Easy fix!

he is now claiming that the actual hammer when half cocked stays in place instead of falling forward. When we were doing it there was plenty of tension causing it to fall forward.

I'll admit I don't have the lower in front of me so I can't tell you a ton more but I will be removing the trigger at a later date and adding a new one just in case. Is this a spring issue? What would you all think?

UPDATE IN POST #17

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Make sure the sear spring is right side up{not sure if this will be the cause but it's the first thing i look at after seeing if the hammer spring isn't up side down.)?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Buffer tube threaded far enough on? If not the detent and spring will fly out and the spring will get mangled in the FCG.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Buffer tube threaded far enough on? If not the detent and spring will fly out and the spring will get mangled in the FCG.

That issue has been fixed but that was the initial issue but now the hammer will stay in a half-cocked position and you have to manually move it forward. It still locks in place and still goes forward when the trigger is pulled but when cocking the hammer back you can pull it back a half inch and it will stay in that position instead of the tension causing it drop forward.

if that makes sense

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Is the upper attached to the lower when this happens? Is he using a full auto profile bolt? Is the hammer notched?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Sounds like it's catching the disconnector and not releasing to the sear. Check the disconnector Spring is not upside down or missing all together.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think the consensus is the trigger spring is in backwards. Try that before going too deep into other possibilities.

Good Luck!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Hammer Pin could be broken

The Hammer axle may be too wide and is binding in the lower

The disconnector wont release properly

The J Spring in the hammer may be broken

Grip screw may be too long causing the trigger to be tripped which means just the discconnector is catching the hammer and wont release it.

Does it have KNS Pins?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The Hammer Pin could be broken

The Hammer axle may be too wide and is binding in the lower

The disconnector wont release properly

The J Spring in the hammer may be broken

Grip screw may be too long causing the trigger to be tripped which means just the discconnector is catching the hammer and wont release it.

Does it have KNS Pins?

So I just got the lower from him and will be taking it apart. He didn't accurately describe the problem.

The actual issue he has having is............

When slack is taken on the trigger it gets to a point that feels almost like a reset. It will travel back like 2cm (probably less) and then the trigger stays in that position instead of going back forward and has to be pushed manually forward.

The hammer drops just fine. When the trigger is pulled all the way everything seems to work 100%. What he is concerned about is that the trigger has to be pushed forward and does not push itself forward after being depressed a small amount.

I should have waited to post until I knew the actual problem I guess but that is his issue with the trigger.

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    Sounds to me like you installed the trigger spring in the wrong orientation like others have pointed out. Pull the FCG and start over.

ALGACT-2_zpsqem8voqp.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So I took the trigger out and installed a new one which is working fine. The trigger was installed correctly. I actually don't fully know what caused it. The trigger pulled back just fine and the hammer dropped as intended, it just would get stuck in that small creep area before the break and wouldn't go back into the forward position.

The best way to describe it would be when your shooting a glock you can pull the trigger back halfway before the reset and should you decide not to shoot the trigger will go back in its forward most position but in the AR15 trigger it would have to be manually pushed forward. I am assuming that it was to tight in the lower and the pressure of the hammer and spring pushing down on it was part of the issue. WHY? I don't know! It is however fixed. I really don't think it was a real issue because the amount of travel was so small but it he wanted it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom