• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I sent an appeal to MSP directly and want to know if anyone else has, what was the wait time for decision, did the cash your 10 dollar check and deny, did you get your modification?

Thanks

Nobody

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    You're appealing to lift your restrictions to the very same people that gave them to you? Good luck with that. Should have just wiped your ass with that 10 bucks.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Better chance appealing to Hprb. The MSP will not remove your restrictions but they might update the wording based on new SOP language. What does your restriction say?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    There shouldn't be any cost associated with your informal appeal request given that it was on your initial issuance. (as long as it was sent in within the 10 day period)

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I sent it to the HPRB first (within 1`0 days)and was told that I have to appeal to stat police so I sent a letter asking for modification.
    I thought it was funny appealing to those who issued it first but that waht I was told so I sent it. AS far a further restricting it I just received my permit in early June so I will wait and see what happens. I wnder how long till I hear...two weeks?

NOBODY

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I sent in a request for restriction removal (OPM breach) with an address change request. Mailed 5/23, check cashed 6/22 and nothing so far. I'm guessing I'll be denied and my new address permit will show up at some point. I'm prepared to take it to the HPRB if that's what it takes but hoping to skip that step if possible. I read on here someone was able to have MSP modify but not sure who it was and not searching on mobile device (new platform sucks...).

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I sent it to the HPRB first (within 1`0 days)and was told that I have to appeal to stat police so I sent a letter asking for modification.
    I thought it was funny appealing to those who issued it first but that waht I was told so I sent it. AS far a further restricting it I just received my permit in early June so I will wait and see what happens. I wnder how long till I hear...two weeks?

NOBODY

Ugh! Mr. Neverdon (or whoever told you that) advised you incorrectly. During the issuance of a permit, you may challenge a denial OR the restrictions placed on an issued permit directly with the HPRB. They tried to take me the same route as you, but I would not comply with that.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    My restrictions
    Nobody

When were you issued the permit? By "appealing" do you mean you are asking for a modification? Appeals go to the HPRB, modifications go to the MSP.

As indicated on the letter that hopefully accompanied your permit, appeals to MSP decisions must be made in writing to the HPRB within 10 days of receiving your permit. You can request a modification, which costs $10, at anytime. If you paid $10, you are asking for a modification. If you want to appeal a decision by the MSP, not a victory in a HPRB meeting, then you must submit it in writing to the HPRB.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I guess no news was good news but at least they are (pretending?) to give me a chance to elaborate.

My story is I was OPM brewxhed

MSP said:
    Mr. MarylandMark,

A review of your handgun permit application #867-5309 by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division Handgun Permit Unit revealed that the information you provided is insufficient for an "unrestricted" handgun permit. An electronic breach in your banking ,does not qualify you to have a mod request granted.You will need to provide the following documentation :

1. Any Threats, verbal or physical against you or your business provided by a police report or a third party witness .

If the documentation is not received in this office by August 20 2016, your modification will be disapproved.

Please return a copy of this email and the requested documentation to the Handgun Permit Unit at 1111 Reisterstown Rd., Pikesville, MD 21208. If you have further questions contact me via email at MSP@maryland.gov

Master Trooper
    MSP
    Licensing Division
    Handgun Permit Section

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I guess no news was good news but at least they are (pretending?) to give me a chance to elaborate.

I was OPM breached, provided the confirmation letter and a print out from my bank showing my financial information has been compromised several times since.

My permit is for my business, however going the modification route for one of my other jobs in communications. My angle is I am at a higher threat than most because I have access to "the internet". You don't need to hack in to any thing when you can see that data passing over the net angle.. Encryption? I don't know much about it but I know for the most part to get the key to you, it has to be sent over the same pipeline I sit on all day every day type thing.

MSP said:
    Mr. MarylandMark,

A review of your handgun permit application #867-5309 by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division Handgun Permit Unit revealed that the information you provided is insufficient for an "unrestricted" handgun permit. An electronic breach in your banking ,does not qualify you to have a mod request granted.You will need to provide the following documentation :

1. Any Threats, verbal or physical against you or your business provided by a police report or a third party witness .

If the documentation is not received in this office by August 20 2016, your modification will be disapproved.

Please return a copy of this email and the requested documentation to the Handgun Permit Unit at 1111 Reisterstown Rd., Pikesville, MD 21208. If you have further questions contact me via email at MSP@maryland.gov

Master Trooper
    MSP
    Licensing Division
    Handgun Permit Section

Last edited:

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    So.....

1. Respond myself knowing I'll most likely be denied?

2. Don't respond, get denied and head to the HGRB, which may look unfavorably at me because I didn't respond to the MSP?

3. Engage a lawyer (Brit?) and let them handle this and the HGRB?

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I believe it was RavenUSAF that was successful in having his restrictions removed using the OPM hack. He was able to find local (MD) arrests/ threats related to the OPMH which MSP did not find and argued that they did not make an adequate attempt I their investigation.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Apparently things have eased a bit at MSP LD for restriction modifications. Try that route first and you just may avoid the long wait time for a HPRB meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom