• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    You might be better off getting a pump shotgun and getting it fitted properly. The cheaper O/U's seem to have a reputation for not staying together very long. Maybe I'm mistaken; if so I'd be interested in one as well. I know a break-action gun seems to swing a little faster and lighter for me.

ETA: A true trap gun is a single barrel, and generally still not cheap. NEF (H&R) made one but they seem to be hard to come by lately.

Would that include the ruger red label. I've been looking at them.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When I was first deciding if I liked shooting trap/sporting clays I bought a cheap Tristar Hunter. I shot it almost every weekend for 6 months and never had an issue with it. It probably has around 6,000 shells through it now and is a little loose but still works great for second gun to let other people shoot when we go out (not all places have rental guns). Now if you think there is a possibility that you're really going to get into the sport and shoot it quite a bit, I would agree with the others that have responded to get a "better" gun from the beginning. If you're only going to go out and shoot 100 to 150 shells every couple of months and like the idea of an over/under do you really need a $2000+ gun?

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I don't know that gun personally, but I wouldn't put it in the "cheap" category. A quick search shows that they start around $1,200.

And they have been out of production for quite a few years so everyone trying to sell it has an inflated sense of their value.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was talking about a single trigger gun. The first time it happened to me years ago when shooting sporting clays, it scared the hell out of me. At the time, I didn't even know they could do that... LOL

Had that happen on my Ruger Red Label after about 3000 shots shooting skeet. Sent it to Ruger and they had it fixed and back to me in two weeks, no charge. The Ruger was intended to be field gun, and not designed for the high volume of shells that shooting skeet put through it. But it was an economical way for me to get into the sport.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since ATA is the sanctioning body for Trap, does Shooting USA's opinion matter much ?

But whatever the porported reasons, its all about image and keeping out the wrong element. Kind of like going to a golf club in cut off shorts, tie dyed tee shirt and chucks.

But at a budget of $4-500 for o/u , don't . If I wanted a double in that price range, I'd get a Stevens M311 s x s long before a cheap o\u. Tripple that, would put you into entry level of acceptable o/u .

Meanwhile, OP has some redundency in current herd, that could be converted.

The 11-87 Magnum is redundant to the 10ga in purpose. Multiple Moss 500 could be thinned by one. Those proceedes plus the 4-500 could put you around a nice o/u.

OR , get a trap bbl for the std 11-87 .

Meanwhile, revolver skeet w/ shotshells would be a nonstarter. But has been done with "Hotshot" Contenders .

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    Since ATA is the sanctioning body for Trap, does Shooting USA's opinion matter much ?

But whatever the porported reasons, its all about image and keeping out the wrong element. Kind of like going to a golf club in cut off shorts, tie dyed tee shirt and chucks.

But at a budget of $4-500 for o/u , don't . If I wanted a double in that price range, I'd get a Stevens M311 s x s long before a cheap o\u. Tripple that, would put you into entry level of acceptable o/u .

Meanwhile, OP has some redundency in current herd, that could be converted.

The 11-87 Magnum is redundant to the 10ga in purpose. Multiple Moss 500 could be thinned by one. Those proceedes plus the 4-500 could put you around a nice o/u.

OR , get a trap bbl for the std 11-87 .

Meanwhile, revolver skeet w/ shotshells would be a nonstarter. But has been done with "Hotshot" Contenders .
    I don't get rid of guns anymore. And nothing is comparable to a 10 ga. in performance....purpose ,possibly.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    There is no actual need for the gun so the budget is pretty low. $4-500 would be about it,any more and I'd just keep looking for a Glock 43 or a semi 20ga.

Sounds like you're in the same boat I was in when I got bitten by the trap/skeet/sporting clays bug.

I still haven't secured my O/U yet, but have picked up two decent firearms for the range in the meantime. An older SxS that busts clays all day long, and a Remington 878 automaster (also older) that also works quite well. Doesn't have to be shiny and new to work. Got both with a C&R and online auctions for sub $200. I personally can't shoot skeet with a pump, I'm sure I'd be better with practice, but that extra action just kills my scores, hence my desire for these other ones.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wonder if you can get 30 year financing on one of those?

I was at the SHOT Show in the early 90s. Perrazzi guy TOSSED me a 28 guage to try.

A mere $68,000 28 gauge shotgun. And it was not the top grade.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was at the SHOT Show in the early 90s. Perrazzi guy TOSSED me a 28 guage to try.

A mere $68,000 28 gauge shotgun. And it was not the top grade.

I'm all for buying quality firearms, but how much better can that gun shoot than a $3000 shotgun?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I bought a BSA 12ga O/U made somewhere in the eastern block. No fancy wood nor is the blue like a mirror but for $300 it's the best shotgun to take to the pits. It likes mud, rain, snow and killing birds. I guess I have about 10 goose seasons with it so far and it's ready for more. What more could you ask of a hunting gun. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom