• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    380/1000 doesn't sound like much of a bargain. check targetsportsusa and palmettostatearmory, but also check gunbot and ammoseek, and of course factor in shipping costs. targetsports always has free shipping on case quantities.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    380/1000 doesn't sound like much of a bargain. check targetsportsusa and palmettostatearmory, but also check gunbot and ammoseek, and of course factor in shipping costs. targetsports always has free shipping on case quantities.

Except I didn't want to buy a case quantity is the thing...

As for the mags, since I plan to try to use my AR-15 for deer hunting, a 10 round mag would be nice since I can only put 8 in it. Just need the one.

I actually plan a trip to Cabela's and ordering for delivery to the store a few 20 and 30rnd PMags and some Ruger BX-25s. Once it is built. I have a 20rnd mag right now...just to function check of my completed lower of course.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm assuming you would be using actual hunting and not fmj ammo for deer, but hopeful you would consider a larger cartridge such as 308 etc. surely a meager .22 long rifle has killed every animal on earth, but a little more diameter and energy helps ensure a clean dispatch.

think of buying case qtys as an investment. you'll use it all sooner or later (sooner if you're like most MDS-ers) and save a lot of $$ along the way.

ok off the soapbox.

in any event good luck and have fun.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    You would be better off (financially) picking up some Wolf Gold. And don't tell me it isn't accurate. I put 29 out of 30 in the ten spot at 50 yards with Magpul sights. :party29:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'll be using .223 Federal Trophy Nosler Partitions. About the highest energy factory ammo loaded in .223/5.56 that I have found and should be able to rip through a shoulder without breaking up. It'll be out of a 20" barrel

Also I agree on a bigger and higher energy round. Which is why my .308 Sako is my primary general firearms deer hunting rifle with my CVA .50 24" ML with .44cal 240gr XTP on top of 100gr of 777 as my primary muzzleloader deer hunting rifle.

But since I am building the thing and it is MD legal with the right ammo for deer, I kind of want to try it once or twice. It is going to pretty much be a coyote/varmit/range rifle otherwise.

At some point I'll invest in a case, but I am struggling for the spare money just to finish building the rifle right now. Dropping $300+ on a case right now would land me in the dog house with my wife for a VERY long time. Next year, I can probably buy a case.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'll be using .223 Federal Trophy Nosler Partitions. About the highest energy factory ammo loaded in .223/5.56 that I have found and should be able to rip through a shoulder without breaking up. It'll be out of a 20" barrel

Also I agree on a bigger and higher energy round. Which is why my .308 Sako is my primary general firearms deer hunting rifle with my CVA .50 24" ML with .44cal 240gr XTP on top of 100gr of 777 as my primary muzzleloader deer hunting rifle.

But since I am building the thing and it is MD legal with the right ammo for deer, I kind of want to try it once or twice. It is going to pretty much be a coyote/varmit/range rifle otherwise.

At some point I'll invest in a case, but I am struggling for the spare money just to finish building the rifle right now. Dropping $300+ on a case right now would land me in the dog house with my wife for a VERY long time. Next year, I can probably buy a case.

Surf the classifieds, you might find a deal on a Pelican or a Starlight case.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Surf the classifieds, you might find a deal on a Pelican or a Starlight case.

Err, sorry I meant a case of ammo. That said, I think I will need a case eventually. Or at least a "tactical" bag. My 46" scoped rifle bag I think will fit an AR-15 in it, with folding BUIS. I don't think it'll fit one with a scope, but I could be wrong. But I plan on just running flip up irons for awhile.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Err, sorry I meant a case of ammo. That said, I think I will need a case eventually. Or at least a "tactical" bag. My 46" scoped rifle bag I think will fit an AR-15 in it, with folding BUIS. I don't think it'll fit one with a scope, but I could be wrong. But I plan on just running flip up irons for awhile.
    An AR is generally less than 38" in length. Your bag will be good.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am worried about how tall it'll be with a scope on it. Folding BUIS, so I don't think I need a raised scope mount, but I've been sort of assuming it'll be too tall since it is a pistol grip, but I really don't have a clue.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I never knew .223 was legal for deer in Maryland.

Any rifle with 1200ft-lbs of muzzle energy is legal for deer in Maryland. There are one or two factory loads out of a 16" barrel that exceed that. There are a few out of a 20", which is partly why I went 20" for my AR-15 (produces 7-9% more muzzle energy than 16" depending on the load)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom