• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You could also use MecSoft's FreeMill for a free 'pro' cam solution. http://mecsoft.com/freemill/

If you are new to cnc, for the FCG pocket I would HIGHLY recommend you write the code by hand. Its a skill that should be learned. Its basically 2-3 rectangles which are a dozen lines of code w/ a for loop. Cn't get any easier. If you use cutter radius comp (G41/G42) its REALLY easy. The ray-vin manual will give you the dimensions. IIRC he shows the auto-sear denial 'hump' but I've seen commercial lowers done both ways. If you leave it open like a M16 and your cad model, you are one hole away (and a couple trigger parts) from full-auto. I've never understood how that passes ATF muster for 'not easy to convert'.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You could also use MecSoft's FreeMill for a free 'pro' cam solution. http://mecsoft.com/freemill/

If you are new to cnc, for the FCG pocket I would HIGHLY recommend you write the code by hand.

If you leave it open like a M16 and your cad model, you are one hole away (and a couple trigger parts) from full-auto. I've never understood how that passes ATF muster for 'not easy to convert'.

Thanks for the advice on both accounts. I have two 20hp CNC machines at work for with proprietary CAM software for stone fabrication so I have the basics but most of our work is 2D. So I will be learning something new here.

Also thanks for pointing out that the cad model included the M16 pocket. I'll be using my AR receiver as a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    It's alive. Still lots of testing and learning to do.

https://vimeo.com/180532740

ed3d770e8b843a4d7bedf84fa2a47818.jpg

But I just couldn't help myself.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If you are new to cnc, for the FCG pocket I would HIGHLY recommend you write the code by hand. Its a skill that should be learned. Its basically 2-3 rectangles which are a dozen lines of code w/ a for loop.

Smdub, I played around doing the block of wood sample by creating one narrow pocket then copying and pasting the rest of the milling code while stepping down the Z each loop. It was not too bad. However I found out about Autodesk Fusion 360 and it has built in 3D design and what seems to be a good CAM. So I've modeled the Lower and two guides and now seem to be able to create a good pocket.

d85bfe145c6932211a0b3312f5c812cb.jpg

Now that I am at the milling stage I realize I really have no idea what feed speed to use. It seems like when I plug in the materials, mill size and router speed into the Fusion 360 settings that the tool is moving very fast maybe 2000mm/min. I really lack experience in this area.

Is there any good beginners resource that you can recommend.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    google feed/speed calculator online. This is the first one that turns up:
    http://www.custompartnet.com/calculator/milling-speed-and-feed
    for surface speed ballpark 200sfm in aluminum but your machine rigidity is going to be *THE* limit. Grab a block of 6061 and start milling a slot/pocket. 1/4" 2FL @ 0.001"chipload @ 200sfm = 3000rpm spindle & 6ipm feed. The BIG question is then how deep can you cut in one pass? Only you can figure that out. For roughing out the cavity, you probably can't beat plunge roughing for speed on a lightweight machine if you can generate the g code.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I think you just highlighted another problem I'm going to have. The minimum speed on the router is 15k.

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    You can cut aluminum at that rpm with a 1/8 in diameter bit. May have to lube it. But then the problem is the overall length of the bit. Cavities on the lowers are pretty deep and getting down in there may be a problem. Also your frame stiffness may be a problem for chatter. One way to see, get a block of scrap aluminum and just try it.

John C

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I don't see how you can do it w/ a 1/8" bit. That's like a 10D deep hole. If you attempt that, don't even think about using a HSS bit. And take a *TINY* depth of cut each pass. You'll spend enough on electricity running it that long to just buy a lower;)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Finally had some time today to get back to this project. I ended up buying a true router spindle and VF Drive on eBay. Got it all hooked up last week.

Today was a test run to make the lower receiver holding fixtures.

So far so good.

08db78db033e5653c34b3eafe4e3f230.jpg

26512ed39785f0b803d258f0aa5a11ec.jpg

Im going to run a test of the FCG pocket in solid bar of aluminum later this week. If all goes well I hope to have a finished lower soon. Then I can start my 300BO pistol build.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    It would help you to drill out as much as you can before you start milling. Even if its just a entry pocket for a plunge area . If you have to plunge in Z helix is your best option , Ramping would be second best. Since your just starting out 4 degree in Z would be a good place to start. There is 2 basic trains of thought when it comes to milling. 1st is shallow Z steps and side step overs up to half Dia. of cutter ( you can do full engagement , But you need a good coolant flood and a rigid machine and fixture).2nd is 1 to 2 times Dia. Z depth with a .02 to .04 side step over path. By doing this you can increase your feed considerable and the mill wears more evenly along the flute giving you longer tool life. Also climb cutting is the way to go with CNC as you do less recutting of the same chips.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    It would help you to drill out as much as you can before you start milling. Even if its just a entry pocket for a plunge area . If you have to plunge in Z helix is your best option , Ramping would be second best. Since your just starting out 4 degree in Z would be a good place to start. There is 2 basic trains of thought when it comes to milling. 1st is shallow Z steps and side step overs up to half Dia. of cutter ( you can do full engagement , But you need a good coolant flood and a rigid machine and fixture).2nd is 1 to 2 times Dia. Z depth with a .02 to .04 side step over path. By doing this you can increase your feed considerable and the mill wears more evenly along the flute giving you longer tool life. Also climb cutting is the way to go with CNC as you do less recutting of the same chips.

Thanks for the technical details. I am using Autodesk Fusion for CAM and there are loads of built in options for tool setup. Your idea to pre drill the pocket is a good one that had not occurred to me. I could simply put a high quality 3/16 bit in the spindle and let it pre-drill 30-40 holes. It would be easier to lubricate and make a lot less mess. Then when I do mill the pocket the chip load will be a lot lighter.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    If you go the drill route, use "peck drill" if that is an option in ur CAM program. Using 0.050" per peck or something similarly small will keep the chips small and therefore more manageable, and help keep fluid on the cutting edge, thus helping to avoid built up edge.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    We use Volumemill at work ( we have Gibbs ) And it works great !! but you do have to wag the dog some to get what you want sometimes. Since Gibbs was bought out recently we seem to average about 2 upgrades a week . When it was Gibbs owned we had very little issues . But lately its had some serious issues. I hope they resolve them soon !!

on a different subject if you decide to use a drill to remove most of the meat . Make sure the holes don't overlap as it can cause issues. Try and leave .01 to .02 wall between them.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Seems all too involved ATM but I am certain once you have this runninng, dialed in... it will be a gem.

Good luck! Keep up the good work. A lot of knowledge on the forums.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Finally getting a chance to test milling the FCG pocket in aluminum. So far so good.

005ee96ebb714e4e8d7eeafbe5df5772.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I had a chance today to continue testing. Following the suggestions of others I decided to drill a pattern of 1/8" holes then mill the pocket. This worked much better with less tool chatter. The final pass was 32mm deep

Sunday I'll run finishing passes and mill the trigger hole.

7c8c537715f70137afad1c164a25ee67.jpg

c00b95bc4ca65d26330c9faf3bf49a86.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom