• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    M&P would be a good choice. Cheaper would be 10/22 with the ruger American stock. You can buy compact modules with or without comb. *Picture included is not an endorsement.*

I’ll def check it out...didn’t know about this option. Thank you:)

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd find them a used Marlin 60 or Glennfield version and cut it down as needed. I have one that I dressed up as a M1 carbine and it's a fun ergonomic shooter.

Compared to the Appleseed 10/22 (which I do not like)

DSC02154_zpsb0787667.jpg

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I’ll def check it out...didn’t know about this option. Thank you:)

I had brought the "50th anniversary contest winner", which Ranchero50 is showing,and liked the stock. Then Magpul came out with the Hunter stock. I had a basic 10/22 that I then put the "50th" stock on for my son. I got a compact mod with comb off Ebay for $15. Then I added a Primary Arms 6×fixed ACSS scope.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Another one I like is the Henry AR7; hell I might get one for myself.

I’ll check it out as well...thanks for the suggestion. A friend just offered to sell me a Rem 597 with camo stock and scope...I’m going to look into it as well lol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    LOL. They are in gymnastics and the oldest one can do pull ups and has abs...she does insanity on her own. Gymnastics has made the youngest stronger...that’s what has surprised me about them not being able to support the rifles tried so far. But they are small statured like my wife.

Just need to work on the proper muscles.

And make sure they have a good stance. Poor stance can make it more difficult.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My personal favorite would be a Ruger 10/22; buy the cheapest one you can find and swap out the stock for something that would fit your kids.

Chop off for LOP, and spend some time with a router to lighten.

And Ruger 10/22 stocks are dime a dozen, as many people change stocks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Option #1 - Continue to shoot lil' Rascal for another year or two, until they get some more size . The Marlin 60 already IS lightweight for a .22lr semi , and OP reports that's too heavy/ large .

Option #2 - The Marlin 70 aka Papoose is Marlin's response to the AR-7 . A takedown , with no forend . Uses action similar to M60, but with magazine rather than tube . Find an older one with wood stock , and agressively shorten to munchkin LOP .

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Option #1 - Continue to shoot lil' Rascal for another year or two, until they get some more size . The Marlin 60 already IS lightweight for a .22lr semi , and OP reports that's too heavy/ large .

Option #2 - The Marlin 70 aka Papoose is Marlin's response to the AR-7 . A takedown , with no forend . Uses action similar to M60, but with magazine rather than tube . Find an older one with wood stock , and agressively shorten to munchkin LOP .

The voice of reason and very good advice. Thank you sir

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My thoughts on the 10/22 is that it will be a gun that they can keep for a long time. Support and parts are outstanding. Aftermarket just keeps getting better too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom