• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    A couple of months back I was able to buy a used Remington 581 that looks as clean as can be for $85 except it appears to be missing the rear sight eyepiece. I didn't think this was a big deal until I started searching for a replacement this week.

Does anyone have a lead on a replacement for this. Many of the "go to's" have not had this in stock for some time and it has been listed for $15-$20. GB has the complete assembly for $50-60 but I am hesitant to purchase something that is 70% of the original purchase price of the gun.

I want my son to focus on iron sights for some time as I think he has the potential to be a very talented shooter.

Looking for some help to source the missing piece.
    7ca5ca4c5c6d2bdc00fbb1edb6f721df.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Looking at the pictures of the parts you need on the Numrich web site it looks like something any competent machinist could make for you.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Years ago I bought the exact same part from Remington for 2 or 3 bucks. Ebay has it for a 580 as we speak, 35 dollars or make offer.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Check the gun shows for "The Sight Guy". He usually has a large stock of older sights, or will know where to get it.

***EDIT***
    His name is Ken Bean; they call him the "Sight Man". His company's name is "Sights and Antique Guns." He is located at: 383 Yorkana Road, York, PA 17406, (717) 755-9070.*

Sent from my tricorder

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Thanks, I will reach out to him. So the sight for a 580 is the same for the 581? Any other models compatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Thanks, I will reach out to him. So the sight for a 580 is the same for the 581? Any other models compatible?

If memory serves me right 580 - single shot, 581 clip magazine, 582 tube magazine. Same sight, 6 small locking lugs on bolt... I had a 582 until I parted it out for cash, :sad20:
    Excellent accuracy. As I said ebay has one NOW.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    If memory serves me right 580 - single shot, 581 clip magazine, 582 tube magazine. Same sight, 6 small locking lugs on bolt... I had a 582 until I parted it out for cash, :sad20:

Excellent accuracy. As I said ebay has one NOW.

I only see this item number (332698142162) which has the rear sight assembly but it does not appear to have the eyepiece....I just checked and here is nothing under the assembly so guess I do need more. Have to take another look at the schematic.
    $35 obo is a large % of what I paid. Maybe I got a good deal at $85. It looks like they go for around $250 complete. It is a 1967 and the bore is spotless.

29ad9a2058e8adbf476a3b5567cbcaa5.jpg

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I only see this item number (332698142162) which has the rear sight assembly but it does not appear to have the eyepiece....I just checked and here is nothing under the assembly so guess I do need more. Have to take another look at the schematic.
    $35 obo is a large % of what I paid. Maybe I got a good deal at $85. It looks like they go for around $250 complete. It is a 1967 and the bore is spotless.

29ad9a2058e8adbf476a3b5567cbcaa5.jpg

85 bucks, no you got a steal. I liked the tubular mag far more but it is what it is.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Check the gun shows for "The Sight Guy". He usually has a large stock of older sights, or will know where to get it.

***EDIT***
    His name is Ken Bean; they call him the "Sight Man". His company's name is "Sights and Antique Guns." He is located at: 383 Yorkana Road, York, PA 17406, (717) 755-9070.*

Sent from my tricorder

Just spoke to Ken and he does not have one. There is one on GB for $50 I just hate to pay that much for a gun I bought for $85. I guess its all relevant to to completeness of the rifle.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Just spoke to Ken and he does not have one. There is one on GB for $50 I just hate to pay that much for a gun I bought for $85. I guess its all relevant to to completeness of the rifle.

Well, I'll do you a favor and buy it off you for $90, spend the $50 for the sight and enjoy the heck out of my $140 bolt action plinker. I spend more than that for air rifles.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Have you considered making one? You'd need some mild steel, a few basic tools, a little cold blue. Might not be too hard. I bet you can find a photo of it to work from.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Have you considered making one? You'd need some mild steel, a few basic tools, a little cold blue. Might not be too hard. I bet you can find a photo of it to work from.

There are pictures of the parts on the Numrich site. An "L" shaped bracket and a sight with a "T" slot to slide over the "L" held in place with a set screw.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have a stock original 581. Bought it brand new years ago. Have not shot if for a while but if I remember it has a V notch rear site.

There was a guy in PA that was making some parts for it. If I find the info I will post it.

Can take a photo of it if you want.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    It looks like the upright "tab" on yours is broken off which the V notch set screws on to. If that's the case you probably need the assembly. I'm going by memory over 40 years ago. Doesn't matter what you paid, how much you want to shoot it and what it's worth is what does.
    If you bought a 1957 Corvette for 5 grand, another 5 grand for a steering wheel would be worth it if that's what it took to make it operative,

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I ended up bidding on one that was listed on GB. It looked the most complete although appeared to be missing the screw which I have. We should be in good shape and still a great deal on a classic!

My son will love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom