• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • taylord97

Feb 28, 2019
    Cecil county
    I’m looking for recommendations for reasonable price for carbine length build:
    Gas block
    Gas tube
    Hand grip and Barrel nut
    Buffer tube and spring
    castle nut
    Bolt carrier group
    Charging handle
    Etc.

I have the heavy profile barrel, lower parts kit, stripped lower, and upper.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    You’d have to be more specific as to the handguard, charging handle, etc. lots of variables there. Why go with carbine legnth also?

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Are you guys doing it at home or in a sLotar class?

We will be doing it at home. However, she did get to go to SOTAR class from a winning raffle ticket that was drawn with Art3’s name that he donated to her (very generous). She really had a good time, and now wants to do her own build. I got to sit in with her, and in the class, we took a completed rifle and tore it down.

taylord97

Feb 28, 2019
    Cecil county
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations! Unfortunately I have finals for my school this week so I will not be starting this project until after this is over. But I’ll keep everything in mind! Thanks again!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I’m looking for recommendations for reasonable price for carbine length build:
    Gas block
    Gas tube
    Hand grip and Barrel nut
    Buffer tube and spring
    castle nut
    Bolt carrier group
    Charging handle
    Etc.

I have the heavy profile barrel, lower parts kit, stripped lower, and upper.

Gas Block should be low profile and any from most places will be fine attachment method will cause arguments. Best attachment method is cross pinned pretty much makes it permanent but it will not move. Clamp on next best but imparts pressure on the barrel, alos the screws can work loose, so rockset or small stake on the set screws. Set screw is 3rd option slightly below clamp on since the set screw is the only thing providing pressure, recommend dimpling the barrel, using a ste screw with knurling on the bottom and either small stake or rockset the set screw. If you want an adjustable gas block SLR is probably the best route though there are others that are catching up.

gas tube pretty much any that will fit your build, melonite ones cost less and work and so do the stainless which cost more. preference and pretty much joebobs, brownells, midway will have what you need.

Your handguard and barrel nut, how much do you want to spend? Seriously you can get handguards for as a low as $100 and they can get close to $400-500. Then you have choices of picatinny rails, m-lok attachment, key-mod attachment, screw attachment. Throw in in diameter some small diameter will not fit a suppressor. Most rails come with their own proprietary barrel nut, Joebob has a nice selection as does BCM but if you doa google search you will have a ton of results. Middle of the road I would say Spikes, Midwest Industries and you will be fine

Buffer tube a mil-spec 6-8 position if you want adjustability, 6 pos ones are pretty cheap. For the spring definitely go with carbine length flat wire by Tubbs, I have strike industry one that I am testing so jury is still out.

Castle nut - not too many options most run the standard castle nut, there are some one offs that a slight twist on the design but it still only holds the buffer tube to the lower.

BCG - Toolcraft nitride. Best overall one out there. There are more expensive and fancy coated ones but to do the job Toolcraft standard BCG with the black finish in the $125 ball park.

Charging handles - depends on what you want standard ones work and are cheap but there are some out there in $100 ball park with ambi or oversized latches some even have low friction coatings. I prefer ambi or over sized latches but go with what you like.

Barrels - you get what you pay for. I say if BCM sells it you should be fine.

Stocks have a lot of choices Mag-Pul is the go to find one you like and make sure it will fit your buffer tube.

Pistol Grips also start at mag pul and find one you like

taylord97

Feb 28, 2019
    Cecil county
    Gas Block should be low profile and any from most places will be fine attachment method will cause arguments. Best attachment method is cross pinned pretty much makes it permanent but it will not move. Clamp on next best but imparts pressure on the barrel, alos the screws can work loose, so rockset or small stake on the set screws. Set screw is 3rd option slightly below clamp on since the set screw is the only thing providing pressure, recommend dimpling the barrel, using a ste screw with knurling on the bottom and either small stake or rockset the set screw. If you want an adjustable gas block SLR is probably the best route though there are others that are catching up.

gas tube pretty much any that will fit your build, melonite ones cost less and work and so do the stainless which cost more. preference and pretty much joebobs, brownells, midway will have what you need.

Your handguard and barrel nut, how much do you want to spend? Seriously you can get handguards for as a low as $100 and they can get close to $400-500. Then you have choices of picatinny rails, m-lok attachment, key-mod attachment, screw attachment. Throw in in diameter some small diameter will not fit a suppressor. Most rails come with their own proprietary barrel nut, Joebob has a nice selection as does BCM but if you doa google search you will have a ton of results. Middle of the road I would say Spikes, Midwest Industries and you will be fine

Buffer tube a mil-spec 6-8 position if you want adjustability, 6 pos ones are pretty cheap. For the spring definitely go with carbine length flat wire by Tubbs, I have strike industry one that I am testing so jury is still out.

Castle nut - not too many options most run the standard castle nut, there are some one offs that a slight twist on the design but it still only holds the buffer tube to the lower.

BCG - Toolcraft nitride. Best overall one out there. There are more expensive and fancy coated ones but to do the job Toolcraft standard BCG with the black finish in the $125 ball park.

Charging handles - depends on what you want standard ones work and are cheap but there are some out there in $100 ball park with ambi or oversized latches some even have low friction coatings. I prefer ambi or over sized latches but go with what you like.

Barrels - you get what you pay for. I say if BCM sells it you should be fine.

Stocks have a lot of choices Mag-Pul is the go to find one you like and make sure it will fit your buffer tube.

Pistol Grips also start at mag pul and find one you like

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it and will definitely keep it in mind!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom