• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Yup some of them have many of their buds or regulars hanging around during business hours esp in the evenings or weekends. I’m ok with that as long as I get a hi, welcome, can I help you, or let me know when you need help when I walk thru the door. SCSG, High Rock, and the Gun Shack have never been rude to me. A couple other IPs were generally fine with phone and email conversations and 2 were rude enough that I would not do business with them unless desperate.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Where are you located? My go to is Top Gun in Fallston.

Honestly I think with all the crazies these folks deal with, and the laws they have to navigate, and trying to filter out people they shouldn't sell to, it may take them more than one visit to warm to you.

With that being said, you shouldn't be ignored.

Devin's a good guy. Good shop.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The norm in gun shops is for the employees to NOT be in your face like used car salesmen . I'm not the only one who wants to carefully eyeball the inventory for somthing to catch my interest .

If you do wish the full service hand holding experience , just ask .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Gun stores get a lot of lookers who never buy anything. Then they get those that look at everything try it on for size then order the actual product over the internet. They also get more than their share of suspicious characters such as straw purchasers, people trying to trap them into making a mistake like Moms Against Guns or liberal reporters, and remember one mistake and they could loose their license and livelihood, people casing the joint hoping to score some guns for the black market. It is no wonder they aren't all over you when you a total stranger walks through the door.

It is not hard to join the good old boys club. Step one educate yourself about guns and gun laws so you can talk intelligently and ask pertinent questions. You are already at a great place to begin your education - Maryland Shooters if you start reading and follow some of the links you will get a great firearms education. Step two start visiting several local gun stores regularly and they will soon recognize you as a repeat customer, especially if you try to buy something each time you go which doesn't have to be expensive, things like a gun magazine, a box of .22 rim fire (a good chance to start building your stash and get a wide variety of brands for ammo testing, see the threads on the subject), some targets, a cleaning kit, snap caps, etc. It won't take long and you'll be in the GOBC because they will know you are not any of the several types described in the first paragraph.

It is sort of like this forum people join but don't bother to introduce themselves in the intro section. Then they drop a question without first trying to find the answer even though the same question has been asked and answered dozens of times already and a search or even scanning the thread titles would show them the first thing is to provide enough information so the question can be answered without a half dozen requests for further details. Then after the question is answered and they are suggested to make an introduction they just disappear with never so much as a thank you until they have another question. They don't support the forum or gun community in any material way.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Honestly... a LOT of businesses get a lot of 'lookers'. Not a reason to be rude and/or unapproachable. 2 business lost my money because of it. I'm not asking for a silver plate, but when you are too busy fiddling with your phone, yapping away to your buddy thats hanging out with you at 2pm during the weekday or are just plain rude... no thanks!

When you work in a industry that caters to selling specialized goods, its normal to have newcomers. Not everyone has 15+ years experience shooting guns and a dozen guns of a variety of calibers/styles. Thankfully there's a few good gun stores where the staff is friendly.

A quick google search will indicate a negative trend for quite a lot of MD gun stores. Bad customer service.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Let me guess. Is the shop that treated you badly on Rockville Pike?

Because IMO they have a rep for treating customers with indifference. The other two shops in Rockville do not.

Just my .02

Last edited:

chipd

May 20, 2017
    Just remember that it is the duty of every gun shop to not sell guns to anyone they are suspicious of or do not like. They aren't KFC. They can outright refuse service to any one and are actually encouraged to do so. Flash some cash and you will get their attention.. for good or worse

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Here is what I have observed at Gun Shops...

People come in the store to look at guns...

Really they come in to "handle guns" to see what they like...

Once they have decided, they work on trying to get the price down to the shops Cost...

Once they figure out what they want & what is the cheapest price they can get if for, they leave the shop & order it on-line from a cheaper out of state shop...

And they you get the Wacko Customers & the Baby Mamaa wanting to buy a gun for their Man...

So I have some empathy with Gun Shop Owners & Employees...

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    Let me guess. Is the shop that treated you badly on Rockville Pike?

Because IMO they have a rep for treating customers with indifference. The other two shops in Rockville do not.\

Just my .02

Hahaha.. you nailed it.
    But not everybody in the store. My interaction with one of the guys was very helpful and informative.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I suspect I know the store. Have dealt with them for decades and walking in they greet and treat me like family (in the good way, not the “forced to be nice to each other on Thanksgiving for Mom’s sake” kinda way).

But while I’m in their fondling some prospective new piece, I’ll see the staff having to deal with a parade of really sketchy characters, plain-as-day would-be straw purchasers, someone looking to buy five or six boolits, and all the rest. It’s an uncomfortable scene, sometimes, and a thankless type of business to run in MD. Despite all of which, they treat me like a welcome guest and always have.

Yes, buy some Hoppes from your LGS instead of Amazon once in a while. Watch them remember you the very next time you roll in.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Just remember that it is the duty of every gun shop to not sell guns to anyone they are suspicious of or do not like. They aren't KFC. They can outright refuse service to any one and are actually encouraged to do so. Flash some cash and you will get their attention.. for good or worse

This is very understandable, if you’re suspicious. I think most of you would be quite surprised by the awful customer service I received from a certain store. They have a great name here, and my first experience was great.. Not to mention I dropped $1400 on my very first encounter.
    The next day though, when I had questions, I couldn’t believe the rudeness! Maybe I’m suspicious? But I wasn’t too suspicious when they took my $1400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is very understandable, if you’re suspicious. I think most of you would be quite surprised by the awful customer service I received from a certain store. They have a great name here, and my first experience was great.. Not to mention I dropped $1400 on my very first encounter.
    The next day though, when I had questions, I couldn’t believe the rudeness! Maybe I’m suspicious? But I wasn’t too suspicious when they took my $1400.

If you had a bad experience, why not share the name of the shop? Perhaps they will attempt to improve if they get public criticism.

If it's one of the better ones mentioned, they need to be called out for their bad service, no matter how many glowing reports they get from members.

Including me.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    If you had a bad experience, why not share the name of the shop? Perhaps they will attempt to improve if they get public criticism.

If it's one of the better ones mentioned, they need to be called out for their bad service, no matter how many glowing reports they get from members.

Including me.

I suppose you’re right. I would have left it alone if it only happened once, we all have bad days. But, in my most recent email interactions, they’ve been just as rude and short. The store is Gymratz. And I’m pretty sure it’s just John, the younger guy. The other folks in the store were total sweethearts, and very kind.

Again, I tried to show I was a serious buyer, and dropped $1400 on my first visit. But, I still got the attitude, and I’m currently still getting it. I was hoping to support my local small business, but this guy obviously doesn’t want it from me. Oh well, there’s others.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    i can't remember the last time i didn't have someone wanting to give me a form to fill out when i walked up and made eye contact with a clerk and said i want to buy something. then again, i am always clean shaven, no tattoos, and cleanly dressed. maybe you approached the people like someone that isn't trying to drop some money that day. if you start your statements with "i want to buy" you generally get a salesman on you until you state otherwise.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Shops, even those with "glowing" reputations, can only learn how to be better if they know what the consumer has experienced. Even if you do not want to publicly post the shop's name, send them an email about your experience. I guarantee they will appreciate it if they are a shop that cares about consumer experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom