• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Arrived at Gunrunners yesterday, been running around today, so first chance for quick snaps before the sun sets.

Blaster calls it my Shawshank Redemption gun, lol. I was thinking of upgrading the sights and getting Magpul furniture for it but kind of like the police cruiser look, so got to think it over.
    834e110c0f1c9e55515b81a3f2e6f2af.jpg
    e0f6bd6951245f383886121e619a5324.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Arrived at Gunrunners yesterday, been running around today, so first chance for quick snaps before the sun sets.

Blaster calls it my Shawshank Redemption gun, lol. I was thinking of upgrading the sights and getting Magpul furniture for it but kind of like the police cruiser look, so got to think it over.
    834e110c0f1c9e55515b81a3f2e6f2af.jpg
    e0f6bd6951245f383886121e619a5324.jpg

Nice I would leave it sweaty. I remember back in the 90s when you could get Ithaca prison guns for dirt cheap with wood stocks and rack numbers. Like all of the things we thought would be around forever.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So a question for those more knowledgeable about the 870 Police Magnums.

As mentioned upthread, I got mine from Summit Gun Broker (a place that I've previously purchased from and been satisfied with) ...

http://summitgunbroker.com/-870-police-mag-.html

He makes the comment that this is a sale of shotguns made before Freedom Group took over Remington.

I was looking at this sale too, but didn't like the description of the shape of the guns ...

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/136055

However, I also noticed on the receiver of their 870 shotguns, it just says Magnum, not Police Magnum. I was assuming they were Police Magnums previously, but now am wondering if these are 870 Express Magnums. If not, does Remington go back and forth in the receiver stamping of the Police Magnums?

A picture of my 870 receiver below.
    aae501db2b6169f6939d35c5b2da1753.jpg

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    From what little I've read, the Police Magnums were only stamped as such on the receiver starting in 2014. I got that much from Wiki, so YMMV.

The Remington Society might be able to offer some more information in the event that our significant brain trust strikes out on the matter here.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    One of my favorite long guns is a "well-loved but still nice" wood-stocked Remington 870 Police Magnum that I bought from Lou. I think Lou sold it to me for $200. A price I consider "free" for a Wingmaster. The action is slick as snot.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    From what little I've read, the Police Magnums were only stamped as such on the receiver starting in 2014. I got that much from Wiki, so YMMV.

The Remington Society might be able to offer some more information in the event that our significant brain trust strikes out on the matter here.
    Scared me. ;)

I thought my shotgun looks beat to hell for something that's 2014 or newer.

But it's good because it made me do some internet legwork.

First, I looked for online tools to date the 870 that I purchased, and apparently one can do it with a two letter barrel code ...

https://www.rem870.com/gun-manufacture-date/remington-serial-number-lookup/
    http://www.remingtonowners.com/post5119.html#p5119

Without calling in the receiver serial number to see if it's consistent, my barrel code indicates a 1998 manufacture. Summit Guns indicated that these are pre Freedom Group builds, and FG bought Remington in 2007.

I also checked a few forums and this question of 870 Magnum vs 870 Police Magnum (vs 870 Express Magnum) has been brought up a few times (on Shotgun world, AR15, and Glocktalk). None were sourced like a wiki reference, so I'll look up the one that you've mentioned in a bit. However, the consensus seems to be that Remington started adding "Police" on this model of shotgun in the mid to late 1980s. They've done so inconsistently over the years, such that 870 Magnum and 870 Police Magnum marked shotguns are the same line (but 870 Express Magnum is not). Some threads discussing this issue were from 2005 (indicating that the Police Magnum label preceded this), and one poster provided an example of a 870 marked Police Magnum that he said was manufactured in 1987.

tl,dr: Remington 870 Magnum and 870 Police Magnum marked shotguns are the same line.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Consider a m97, worth the extra 175+. Unless your dead set for the newer designs.
    I have a Norinco 97 riot model as well. Premium condition. That is a badass shotgun. Slam fires as fast as you can stand to do it and never jams. The only real downfall is the bolt. It will let you know really quickly if you move your hand too far forward while racking the slide. It’s a skin ripper.
    ;)

IAC contract and import of the JMB designed pump shotgun from Norinco, the Model 97W (W designates American walnut furniture) ...

IMG_20180809_151358_1.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Pump shotguns are fun......kinda like Legos/ AR-15s.

This, believe or not, is from 1970.

20229124_10159017224870585_5645543440785707759_n.jpg
    Based on how nicely your 870 turned out (I remember the thread), I was thinking of going the Magpul route as well. But after receiving my 870, the distressed, original look grew on me. For at least this one, thinking leaving as is.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I will observe my most recent 12ga pump was a 1950's Ithica M37 , there are a lots of them out there at decent prices .

My first gun was a 1950s Ithica Model 37. It's still pretty much my favorite gun. I hunt with it frequently. It's light weight, easy to take down, has NEVER had a misfire (unlike my Mossberg that cost me a duck last year) and is a really cool piece of history. I had one small part wear out on it - the little cap that goes over the magazine spring-- and I called Ithica to see if I could buy a replacement. An American human in New York answered the phone and shipped me the part FOR FREE that day.

The only downside is it can't take modern 3" shells, but you already have a modern shotgun for that. Sounds like you like some of the police variants. There are a ton of Ithica 37 police models out there. LAPD, US military branches, and other large organizations had big lots made for them in the 20th century since it's an ambidextrous design (shell ejects out bottom).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Is there no love for the venerable Winchester Model 12? I've always thought they were the ultimate pump gun.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Is there no love for the venerable Winchester Model 12? I've always thought they were the ultimate pump gun.
    Would love to get one in the future, and in this case, an authentic one in decent shape that doesn't have to be babied and can be shot.

Haven't had a chance to shoot my Winchester 1897 replica (Norinco 97W) mentioned upthread as yet.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Okay... so I think I read all of the comments/suggestions but did not see the Ithaca 37 mentioned. I know the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 are very popular and the Winchester 97 is big with the cowboy action crowd ,but what am I missing? I have a Remington 17 (only available in 20Ga so that one is out) but the 37 is similar and have always had it be super reliable.
    Thanks for any insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom