• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    this weekend.
    They were Remington 770s in 300 Win Mag and 7MM Rem Mag. I took them to the range today and thought I'd have to zero them again. Both were nearly right on target. I started out at 25 yards then went out to 50.
    Tomorrow I'll do more shooting at 100 yards. I want to eventually get these rifles shooting good at 300 yards.

Will report.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Ah, now the real learning begins. I wish you well and look forward to your next report.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I don't intend on shooting further than 300 yards. I'm hunting thick woodlands mostly and get relatively close shots. I missed a monster buck last fall at about 150-200 yards so that's why I'm making sure these rifles are spot on.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Apparently my load isn't strong enough to be accurate at 300 yards. Both rifles shot about 15 inches low. I'm good at 200 yards and that's enough for me so I'm set.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    So long as it meets your needs, you're good. I was wondering if you were going to explore the limits of the platform. That is both fun and frustrating!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since you asked ...........

What's your zero ?

I don't go total kool aid on the Maximum Point Blank Range approach , but here's some useful ideas for your stated parameters of * mostly wooded hunting , up able to reach out occasionally if needed to 300yd * .

Don't have any ballistics software on my phone , but .300 win mag is popular , and in about 30sec pulled up some numbers for 180gr .300 ( bullet not specified , but generic still illiustrates ).

2in high @ 100yd initial zero yields

2.5in high @ 150 yds
    Zero @ 230-ish yds
    4.5in Low @ 300yds

Translation out to 250 yd , hold center of Bambi's chest without further thought , and you will be within 2.5in . At 300yd aim upper chest .

My personal druthers call for keeping the POI closer at typical hunting distances where shots are more likely to be quick , at the expense of slightly more holdover at longer distances where you will already be thinking more about the shot .

My personal default is 1.5in high @ 100yds . With these ctgs yields ( from memory) :

Zero @ +/- 200yds
    6-ish inch low @ 300yd

Translation - Out to 225yds aim for center of Bambi's chest without further thought ,and be within 2inches .Just a smigon high @ 250, crosshairs near spine for 300 and a bit more , for center chest hits .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Added - 7mm 150gr and 180gr .300 are pretty much similar in trajectories within you distance parameters . More variations between individual bullet designs of different BC , than between the calibers per se .

With apple to apple comparison using same bullet in each , essentially indistinguishable out to 250 , maybe an inch flatter @ 300yd for the 7mm .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    So long as it meets your needs, you're good. I was wondering if you were going to explore the limits of the platform. That is both fun and frustrating!

I have it zeroed at 100 yards. I may play with longer shots this winter after they harvest the cornfields here. I can sit up on the bluffs and put targets out there at 500-1,000 yards. I'll load up stouter loads in both bullets.

It's funny that the recoil on both the 7MM Mag and 300 Win Mag don't bother me but the recoil on my Rem 700 30-06 does. Maybe if I got a Rem 770 in 30-06 I'd be OK.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Tonight I start to nail down the 6.5 Creedmore I'm going to zero using Remington ammo I bought until I use it up. I should have enough for the rest of the year.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The scope I am using for the 6.5 Creedmore was way off since I tried to use it with the 357 levergun but I finally got it close at 15 yards. Tomorrow I take it to 50 and 100 yards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom