Old February 19th, 2021, 09:37 AM #31

I get the impression our pilgrim hasn't digested the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook yet? If not, stop right here, get a copy (it ain't no e-book, it's a real book made of paper), and read it. Then read it again. Then proceed with the planning and questioning.
noahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2021, 10:01 AM #32

I think the picture in Post #24 is valid for a Jacketed spitzer/spire point bullet as shown in the photo, but not necessarily valid for a bore riding bullet he has been looking at.

I wasted ALOT of time on an 8mm mauser and 308 bore riding bullet not understanding it when setting it up. Not until I reloaded the Krag and got help here did I understand it and hope to go back to it with those rifles. Luckily I did not remelt those bullets. I just happen to have a lot of 8mm mauser already loaded up to shoot and many other projects ahead of it.
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2021, 07:05 PM #33
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

A question on the M die. Both 30-30 and 30.06 are .309 for bullets but lyman makes a different M die for 30-30 and 30.06. Is there a reason why one M die will not expand the necks of both cases? I just have the "why" rattling around in my head.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2021, 10:20 PM #34
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
A question on the M die. Both 30-30 and 30.06 are .309 for bullets but lyman makes a different M die for 30-30 and 30.06. Is there a reason why one M die will not expand the necks of both cases? I just have the "why" rattling around in my head.
The difference is the length of the cartridges. You need short one for the 30-30 and a long one for the 30-06. The fact is, the actual belling part of the die screws off and, if you can find them today, you just buy one short and one long and then just buy the screw in part for any case you wanted to bell.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 11:59 AM #35
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhh View Post
It's a killer. .303 Savage. (Ballistic twin to .30-30, and same load I use for .30-30- 28.0gr. 3031 and the above bullet.) Picture taken west of Hancock a couple years ago. That load chrono's at 2050fps out of the 24" barrel of my Winchester M54 .30-30 bolt gun.
The Lyman book pretty much said that alloy to speed would not be very accurate on page 73. Obviously it is working for you and I would rather use a softer alloy like this for hunting applications.

So you are using half alox and beeswax for lube? my searches for 50/50 say that and the Alox discontinued. I have lube with 25% BW and 75% deer fat. The latter is pretty stiff compared to most rendered fats.

I figure I will try bullets lubed and PC'd just to see if there is any difference.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading