• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Going to put together the last of a rabble of Krag parts for a fall project. I have a D&T 98 action that's been done right down the scroll mark that looks like crap.
    A straight grip butt-stock that's been chopped you know where and two barrels.
    One barrel has been cut at 24" with a nicely crowned muzzle but a throat that's plum wore ass out and another 30" with a rough bore up towards the muzzle that may be able to be saved.
    The latter however is nicely finished in copper where it was removed from a parade rifle that I rebuilt last year and is a real treat to look at but probably shouldn't be cut lest I end up in Krag purgatory.

When I'm done Ill fix all that, hopefully fit a M1922 upper band that is pleasing to the eye and in proportion to the barrel length for the UBKP, checker the stock, stretch it out some with a black phenolic tip (retro style) and certainly have more time and effort than it will ever be worth after I hand polish everything, blue and fit a sight arrangement steam dents oil labor etc.

While getting desperate I considered something like this neatly turned down (not a new one of course) but the sight splines and GC threads will need to come off making it too short ruining the lines. More than likely I'll just pick up a rifle barrel from the cmp and ruin that for S's and giggles.
    Krag M1.jpg
    Funny how close it is, isn't it? it'll almost work like it is and could breech on both the receiver face and inner collar!:lol2: Paul Mauser, Ole and Erik would be proud.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Bubba knows no bounds when it comes to ruining screw slots. These are originals that have been peened back into place then polished out.

Heres a relatively decent barrel thanks to my buddy Paul, just needed to tighten up index a few degrees where it meets the inner collar and then on it goes!

Test fire went great, brass only stretched a few thousandths and no problems with function however side plate could use a little stoning for slower bolt manipulation.

Spent some time polishing out all the metal, need to cook it out to degrease and then blue.

If any body has a metal pistol grip for a trapdoor let me know.
    IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Hand polishing the Krag Action is a little difficult, especially with older neglected parts that have seen some use. Nonetheless perseverance pulled me through and a relatively decent finish was the result. Once I get to the wood working, it will be a nice shift to a different facet of the home done resto and a few more hours of problem solving and enjoyment.
    You can see some plugs in the left sidewall that supported what I believe a weaver side mount. I was going to fill them but decided to hold off because they were at least in a straight line and could be used later. If I cannot locate a K1or 2 sight or an old Redfield peep they may come in handy. A Kraghaus ramp could also be an option because I already have a LER scope and its not going to hurt the barrel for an extra screw hole but the butchery on the side looks like crap and will need tightened up regardless.

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

Sideways pictures but you get the idea. I have a nice checkered 03 butt-plate to go with the M2 band and some bleed out to neutralize but time to put some stands up right now.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Well nothing seems to want to work out very well.
    My 03 butt plate is to short from the toe of the stock (should have known better)and the donor plastic fore-end tip is a tad to small to chance at this time.

Luckily I had a spare Krag butt plate that I wont refinish and Ill have to use a piece of wood to stretch the fore-end. I may be able to get a piece of ebony from the wood shop in Millsboro or just find something else. (Brownells doesn't have the blanks anymore!)

When I prepared the old stock you can see the oil line in one of the pictures which is pretty neat looking and some of the old marks :shocking: on the duffle cut stock.

Scraped her down and worked the nose of the comb to hide a gouge and placed on coat of stain so I can see what I'm doing when I begin to cut a simple checkering pattern on the wrist.

Good news is, I scored a nice 1901 sight with screws until I find an old peep sight that will mount up in the cut off and side plate screw or put a scope on it or something. At least Ill be able to see if it shoots well enough in the interim to maybe shoot some deers this year.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Added a ducks head and patched a walnut nose cap on the stock. I bought the walnut plank from a guy who was cleaning out an old barn in Jarretsville about 20 some odd years ago. There was wood shop in there that had boards drying out since the late 1800's.

Anyhow, fashioned the grip and nose out of that hard as rock stuff and then doweled and bonded them to the old stock.

Patience and $ prevented me from adding a trap door grip but this may serve well for the interim. Still scraping the old stock which seems to be the Italian yellow hued walnut.
    IMG_0876[3795].jpg

IMG_0877[3793].jpg

IMG_0878[3791].jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Managed to break a few shots off a short while ago and shot a very nice group after bore sighting and then shooting from fifty and one hundred yards. Haven't slugged the bore and seems to be one the high side of internal diameter but went very well with 180 Hornady spire points and 35g of 4064 exceeding expectations.

Sent one flier well of the mark @100 but in dim light and overcast conditions I'm confident it will be a decent rifle for a walkabout rig. Never the less a fun project and a rewarding experience bringing old stuff back to some sort of usefulness.

I want to check out a few details on a cut down trap door for something next but have begun to feel the effects on my vision which I just realized a short while ago.

Thank you for the positive comments on my last project!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I want to see the Trapdoor. thread when you start.

I have a 1892/94 original Krag sight you're welcome to as a "thank you" for being a pig supplier.
    I don't have screws for it.

Pigs any time we want them. Im good on the sight thank you very much but that may come in handy sometime.

I had a line on a TD barreled action but it got away from me. I did wind up with one a awhile ago but I couldn't bring myself to alter it.
    Ill just have to keep looking for something to pop up that could be brought back into some sort of shape.

I would imagine alot of interesting things could be found at some gun shows but I haven't been to one in ages. They have one in Easton annually but it always seems to be scheduled when it's good deer hunting or something else happening. It's hard to find good junk anymore that you can do something with.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've got a a Numrich 45 muzzleloader barrel made with the tang to drop into a Trapdoor stock and a cutdown rifle stock with buttplate and triggergaurd that I was going to assemble. I even have a repro 1863 Springfield hammer to use. Probably been sitting for 20 years. I've just never really shopped for a lock for the combo. I suppose I could piece a lock together from gunshow and eBay parts. Less than collectible or repro parts would be preferable. Even old rusty lockplates with worn off markings seem to come dear now.
    I inherited my Dad's Trapdoor rifle that I shoot with BP loads once in a while. Been in the family since at least 1930. I don't know if it was my Grandfather's or they bought it for my Dad. No one alive who can tell me now.
    Hence, my interest in seeing what you'd do with old Trapdoor parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom