• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have recently acquired a Winchester 1894 that is an amazing example of a pre 64. The character and blueing on the rifle is great. The forend is great. The buttstock.... not so much.

Someone in the past decided to poly the stock for some unknown reason. It isn’t beat up, and they didn’t refinish it.

Is anyone here very good with woodworking that could help make the buttstock correct by removing the poly and restoring the original finish? I’m willing to pay for professional help to make this rifle correct. See photos. As you can see the stock is way too shiny with the added poly compared to the forend they didn’t touch. I want the buttstock to match the forend.

Anyone qualified to do it?

Attachments

• A987F394-3061-4859-8F7D-D15CBDBE1EA0.jpg
      A987F394-3061-4859-8F7D-D15CBDBE1EA0.jpg
      148.1 KB · Views: 191
    • F3925FF1-3410-4625-9919-77FC16D231DB.jpg
      F3925FF1-3410-4625-9919-77FC16D231DB.jpg
      125.3 KB · Views: 192

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    From experience getting both to match while only doing the butt stock is going to be difficult.

That’s exactly why I’m not going to mess with it. I don’t mind having the forend done also, but it irritates me that someone would do such a thing to such a nice rifle. It deserves to be correct.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    What do the Winchester forum guys say they do?

I bought a glossy Aussie Enfield a couple years ago, stripped it with citrus ans applied BLO for a 'factory' look. Turned out really nice and what I would expect an arsenal refinish to look like.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

I bought a glossy Aussie Enfield a couple years ago, stripped it with citrus ans applied BLO for a 'factory' look. Turned out really nice and what I would expect an arsenal refinish to look like.

If it was mine that's what I'd do. That glare in the pic of the butt stock made my eyes hurt. :sad20:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    PJ, noodle around the Rimfire Central forum a bit. I believe there's pretty informative thread on stock refinishing that might even be a sticky. In particular, there's a forum member Nomref (might have the spelling wrong, he signs off as George within his posts) that appears to be fairly knowledgeable on the topic.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    PJ, noodle around the Rimfire Central forum a bit. I believe there's pretty informative thread on stock refinishing that might even be a sticky. In particular, there's a forum member Nomref (might have the spelling wrong, he signs off as George within his posts) that appears to be fairly knowledgeable on the topic.

Will do. I spoke to someone on the forum today that I will not name that is more than qualified to do it. I will go this route if it is an option as I am more than confident in their ability.

If not I will ask around on there as well.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Close. George worked in the finish industry for years and is a licensed museum quality restorer. His user name is actually noremf, as he was in Viet Nam and was not at the rear... (REMF...fill in the blanks) :rolleyes:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Close. George worked in the finish industry for years and is a licensed museum quality restorer. His user name is actually noremf, as he was in Viet Nam and was not at the rear... (REMF...fill in the blanks) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the assist. :thumbsup:

Was planning on working on doing some stock work this summer, so had taken note of Noremf posts (and ordered some Rottenstone, Paraffin Oil, Pro Custom Oil, and Renaissance wax for the project, if I remember correctly). And now that you've explained the user name, I think I'll remember. :)

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Winchester put the dye in the oil they finished with pre-64, but you can come close using Pilkington Pre 64 Spirit Stain from Brownells.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you go to RFC today, you'll see there are a couple of threads about noremf's passing. Such a shame to lose a voice like his. He made so many invaluable contributions on firearms restoration in that forum.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville

Also agree with this.

Citrus + BLO.

I like Tung but it's hard to come by these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom