• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fotografiti

Apr 22, 2017
    Eastern shore
    I want to share with you my Velo Dog revolver.
    To those unfamiliar, a Velo dog was a 5.5mm center fire cartridge and several manufacturers in Europe made a variety of small revolvers that are known as Velo Dog Guns.
    For some reason I think it was mutually agreed that no one was to put there name on them :rolleyes:
    I am trying to get information on the maker, if anyone has any idea. It has the typical Belgian proof mark, also a B under star, an L under ? I checked under the grips and found a V under star (I am having trouble finding any reference to this)
    Well, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMGP7012 VeloDog.jpg
      IMGP7012 VeloDog.jpg
      150.9 KB · Views: 717
    • IMGP7013 VeloDog.jpg
      IMGP7013 VeloDog.jpg
      146 KB · Views: 724
    • IMGP7022 VeloDog.jpg
      IMGP7022 VeloDog.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 707
    • IMGP7024 VeloDog.jpg
      IMGP7024 VeloDog.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 698

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Velo dogs were originally made for bicyclists for protection from chasing dogs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velo-dog

-Beautiful example, most I see haven't been well cared for.
    -A funny coincidence. I was on a bike ride with friends this morning and a beautiful collie eluded her owner and tried to herd the four of us. We pulled over as we were waiting to regroup with some lagging buddies and made friends with her. She was a sweetie but just had to try her best to round up anything on the move. That included a fetching jogger who passed us.
    -100 yrs ago when safety bicycles came about and cycling was a hugely popular most dogs were off leash, roaming. You had quite a few incidents and the velo dog revolver was sold to cyclists for protection. These days it's normally Halt pepper spray for the extremely rare run-ins with vicious dogs.

Attachments

• cyclist-pistol.jpg
      cyclist-pistol.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 284

fotografiti

Apr 22, 2017
    Eastern shore
    Velo dogs were originally made for bicyclists for protection from chasing dogs.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velo-dog
    It looks like there was a real need, must have been over run with stray dogs back then

It's in nice condition for a VD. I used to have a book with information about them but I gave it away some years ago. I'll look at my club and see if it is still there.
    I would be interested in looking for it if you could point me to a name or author.

Looks cool got a steam punk style to it, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
    I agree, the colors are great.

I have done some more searching and highly recommend Jerry Friedman's website, velodogs.com as a great source of information that is still being updated. With his help I think I am closer to identifying the maker and learning more along the way

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Very nice gun. I clicked for dogs.. So you need a dog.

Stray, no. Bring me a ball begging to play.

Attachments

• woody1bored.jpg
      woody1bored.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 226

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Cool item but this...

Despite the low energy of the round, a suicide case was recorded where a woman shot herself twice in the temple with a .25 (6.35 mm) Velo-dog revolver before succumbing

Ugh. Talk about persisting through the pain...

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I want to share with you my Velo Dog revolver.
    To those unfamiliar, a Velo dog was a 5.5mm center fire cartridge and several manufacturers in Europe made a variety of small revolvers that are known as Velo Dog Guns.
    For some reason I think it was mutually agreed that no one was to put there name on them :rolleyes:
    I am trying to get information on the maker, if anyone has any idea. It has the typical Belgian proof mark, also a B under star, an L under ? I checked under the grips and found a V under star (I am having trouble finding any reference to this)
    Well, thanks for looking.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Velo-dog

The Velo-Dog (also known as a Revolver de Poche) was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Charles-François Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. The name is a compound word composed of "velocipede" and "dog".

Surviving examples vary considerably in appearance, but have certain features in common. The hammer is shrouded to avoid its snagging on clothing, so the weapon is double action only. All have short barrels and originally fired the 5.75 mm (.22 calibre) Velo-dog cartridge, although many of the Velo-Dogs produced after 1900 accepted .22 LR or .25 ACP rounds. Another feature on many late models Velo-Dogs is the lack of a trigger guard, and a trigger that folds into the body of the weapon when not in use. For the more humane, there were cartridges loaded with cayenne pepper or dust, or which had bullets made from wax, wood or cork.

The original revolver uses the Galand company's proprietary 5.75mm Velo-dog cartridge, a centrefire 5.5 mm (nominally 5.75) cartridge slightly less powerful than the 22 Long Rifle, using a jacketed bullet. The cartridge is, or was until very recently, still made by Fiocchi.

Despite the low energy of the round, a suicide case was recorded where a woman shot herself twice in the temple with a .25 (6.35 mm) Velo-dog revolver before succumbing.

Attachments

• velo 01.jpg
      velo 01.jpg
      6.9 KB · Views: 170
    • velo 02.jpg
      velo 02.jpg
      11.1 KB · Views: 170
    • velo 03.jpg
      velo 03.jpg
      5.3 KB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics