• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Interesting inspector stamp that's not often seen seen plus some other interesting marks. IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    D1836 is a drawing number. Think of it like a number for ordering out of a parts catalog. D28179 is the same thing. You will find some people claiming it's a a National Match. Which is not correct.

The SO is denotes {S for Springfield stock inspector stamp), (0 denotes year is was inspected 1940). Another example would be W7 in the same spot. W stock inspector and 7, inspected in 1937.

The number on the recoil bolt number 2.. I have NOT found paperwork on that but a CMP armorer who's a good friend told me it's a "revision number" if something was changed or upgraded to the stock bolt. That was the 2nd revision or change to the bolt.

Gorgeous stock.

Mind posting other pictures of the rifle?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

Couple more. Could you tell me anything about the hand stamped L.T.T. I have very rarely seen that one. I chatted with a fellow on another forum who shared a picture that seemed to me to exactly resemble the same crooked stamp.
    I had read years ago it was for an interim inspector, but now it seems to me that the mark may actually be just a crudely formed cartouche instead of just hand applied.
    The stock and HG on this rifle are definitely not match conditioned. Even though the bore condition is superb and the muzzle crisp, its only an average shooter. Mainly because of the stock fitment, its just as it came on the inside and largely so on the out.
    Notice the late crude machining at the FS band

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I don't have anything on that. I don't know if that was an interim inspector. It looks more like a rebuild stamp. Also because it has a 1942 barrel. It was likely overhauled. So it would make sense it has an rebuild stamp.

I agree with the stamp, match stocks had the SN stamped into the stock around the D1836 stamp.

Is the gas escape hole (bolt body) large or small?

Also is the buttplate smooth, fine or coarse checkered?

I'll check the SN later today.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If my memory serves me correctly the # indicates nearly some of the last receivers made. Inside of two or three thousand maybe. Probably from left over put together parts which may explain how it wound up with the small hole N.S. bolt vs the slightly earlier NS
    Could have been fitted with a bf bolt too and it was just swapped at one time but they are long and this one closes real nice on a Forster go gauge with good lug contact. Lost to the ages I guess. Butt-plate is smooth.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    If my memory serves me correctly the # indicates nearly some of the last receivers made. Inside of two or three thousand maybe. Probably from left over put together parts which may explain how it wound up with the small hole N.S. bolt vs the slightly earlier NS
    Could have been fitted with a bf bolt too and it was just swapped at one time but they are long and this one closes real nice on a Forster go gauge with good lug contact. Lost to the ages I guess. Butt-plate is smooth.

Well you have a very nice rifle and exceptionally nice prewar C-stock. It is definitely towards the end of 1903 production and I forget where the SN ends.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The serial number of that 1903 is actually beyond the last one reported by several sources. The last reported is 1532878 and the one here is 1533425. In Brophy's book "The 1903 Springfield Rifles", the receiver is most likely a spare receiver made in January 1940 as the author says post October 1939 serial number receivers were manufactured "...during the balance of the fiscal year, another batch was manufactured in anticipation of the pending emergency."

The absolute last known serial number Springfield Armory 1903 rifle is recorded as 1548621. It's conceivable that higher numbers may have been made but undiscovered by researchers. As much as government entities might try for accuracy in production numbers there tends to be discrepancies regularly.

It is entirely possible this rifle was assembled in 1942 and the barrel is correct and original to the rifle. It is without doubt among the last 1903 rifles made and assembled by Springfield Armory. It may never have left the USA during the war as M1 Garands were in full production and 1903A3 rifles were in early stages of production. It may have seen stateside duty in POW camps by guards, MP use or whatever but we'll probably never know. Still...it's a special 1903 due to being among the last of the breed.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the photos!

The rifle is a splendid rifle, and a scarce one too! Springfield Armory suspended M1903 rifle assembly just below S/N 1530000. The remaining 6,000+ receivers were turned into Ordnance Stores unassembled. When the U.S. entered WWII, the receivers were eventually pulled and assembled to rifles. The L.T.T. stamp is one of the stamps that appears on the rifles.

Thanks for taking the time to send the photos!

Seems as if the LTT stamp is indeed for rebuild/stores. The other person I communicated with sent some pictures to another advanced collector. I had my doubts as to the originality of the rifle and associated components.
    Thanks Smokeeater for providing your insight and taking the time to respond for what I posted.

Last edited:

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Beautiful and interesting rifle. I also appreciate all I learned from everyone's expertise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom