• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    My last hunt till regular season opens. According to my log book I had 15 hunts, totaling 29.5 hours in the woods and 9 kills in the past 3 weeks. In total we removed 26 deer from the property.

The first video a couple bucks came out but I turned off the video because I got tried of waiting for the does to come out of the corn. The second video is the shot. It's not the best quality video because it was about 120yds and getting to be low light. I almost shot one of the ones that ran back through but at the last second I saw it had 1 4" horn growing sideways instead of sticking up.

Time to start fishing again.

Attachments

• 0806172023.jpg
      0806172023.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 560

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We are going to need a new thread for everyone else of us. This one alone is 67temp's. ;)

The Mod's need to chnage the tilte too;
    67temp's - 2017-18 Bambi wacking thread

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    We are going to need a new thread for everyone else of us. This one alone is 67temp's. ;)

The Mod's need to chnage the tilte too;
    67temp's - 2017-18 Bambi wacking thread

That's okay, just give it time. Then we'll all be posting in this thread. However most will probably be something like this.

I don't know where they went. I had plenty of deer on my camera all summer long. Now that it's deer season, the deer just disappeared. I don't get it.

Seems like this is how it happens to me all the time. :innocent0

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Nice work. How bad are the ticks?

I've only found one crawling on me and that was after walking through some high grass to recover a deer. Granted most of my hunting has been on the field edges that have been mowed, just inside the corn, or alongside of roads. I haven't noticed many on the deer either. This spring was pretty bad for ticks though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I don't know where they went. I had plenty of deer on my camera all summer long. Now that it's deer season, the deer just disappeared. I don't get it.

I was just talking to my daughter about putting sweaty shirts in our blinds to get them used to smelling us near the feeders.

She just said "Should I check my camera, I don't want to go up there too much."

I said "Get your ass up there more often and drop scent around the feeder. Let them hear you now and let them NOT hear you later." :D

People are never around and they bam, always around and the deer know it. One guy used the do the same thing never walk in the field. Rifle season; walk in the field, cross the trails, laying scent everywhere. "I don't get it, the deer are going around the property." Yea, new scent in an area while they are getting shot at and they might avoid it. They aren't smart, but they aren't that stupid either. ;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    But even the deer in my backyard go away just before deer season. They know they can't be shot, but at the end of August, they will disappear. There's 400 acres of woods back there, they're going somewhere. But they aren't coming around to eat anymore.

But to be honest with you, I haven' seen that many deer in my yard this year. I haven't seen anything in the last 2-3 weeks.

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    2017 Deer Season

We're still eating deer meat that was put in the freezer last year.
    Need to empty the freezer before September. I don't like any to go to waste.
    Tonite was venison, home grown tomatoes made into marinara, whole wheat pasta shells.
    I didn't take a pic but there're leftovers and I'll put up a pic in a couple days.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    We're still eating deer meat that was put in the freezer last year.
    Need to empty the freezer before September. I don't like any to go to waste.
    Tonite was venison, home grown tomatoes made into marinara, whole wheat pasta shells.
    I didn't take a pic but there're leftovers and I'll put up a pic in a couple days.

Same here. I just made 25 pounds of link sausage today from last years dear. We wont have the freezer emptied before the season starts, but we keep it rotated. I also like to have a bit of a cushion in case its a slow start to the seaon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I need to cook up a lot. I still have a pound and a half of back straps and the tenderloin from the buck I killed 2 years ago!

Maybe 15lbs of ground and 10lbs if backstrap and steaks from the two little guys from last year left as well. Ive been so busy with my renovation I haven't been cooking as much and my wife will only use the ground.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    This is a post from an archery forum I belong to. It is from a post in 2005. I just stumbled across it and found it amusing. I thought it was a "tongue in cheek" kinda post. Looks like he was serious according to some there. I still think it was a joke.

"My main purpose of this is to counter attack all the guys who think long shots are bad, who think downhill shots are bad, who think poor angle shots are bad, who think mechanicals are worthless, who think they know it all basicly, I have hunted deer and elk with a bow for 22 years now, i know their habits and all the ins and outs, everytime i started a conversation or partisipated in one about the above subjects there was always a reply that i was wrong, sure all of the above shouldnt be done by someone that hasnt trained for it, or if the circumstances arent just "perfect' at that moment, but it happens, it took 12 days and lots of hours, but it does happens, there is such a thing as "that moment" some will say well its luck, but those are the guys that are ill prepaired, the bow was a Hoyt UltraTec the arrow a Easton ACC the broadhead a spitfire 85 grain 3 blade, the fletching was 3" duravane and of course a Bowmanhunter wrap to top it off, this hunt is a video documented and all the subjects of bad this and that, are covered, with all the tools i use, downhill/uphill charts, wind direction, exact range distance (markers around target area) My 33" 4x4 came in to the waterhole, sly, sneeky, and very alert, once in the open and a few minutes passed, he relaxed, ears a certain way, tail and body structure all in relaxed postion, i ranged, 86 yards, but im confident, everything was perfect, once i heard him drinking, the arrow was drawn, HHA sight settled in high on his front shoulder, is it merly putting your pin on him and shooting, no, you have to "look through" your target, breath and hold, breath and hold, breath and hold, the release let go, and watched the arrow fly to its mark, the buck didnt move till it was to late, i watched as he spun and fell 5 yards away, recovered himself and bounced another 10 yards before collapsing for the last time, 16 yards from point of entry to where he stayed down to be exact, it was over in less than 10 seconds, i walked to where he was standing and picked up my arrow, check is for straightness..perfect.. the spitfire.. all three blades open and fine, upon inspection of the buck, i found the left front shoulder completly shattered, ( now i understand why he fell when he turned) only attached by hide, the entry wound was unmistakable, three blade entry, the arterys to the heart were severed, and the exit wound was nothing short of spectacular from a braodhead testers and bowhunters point of view, sadly im disturbed by this, even though im excited and have another great memory, and the deer was respected, and all the meat was gladly taken by someone that needed it, the fact still remains, that this project was to prove that over the years, i do know what im doing, and the fools that think otherwise with their sorry ass opinions need to open up and expand and do it before they talk crap, we have come along way in the archery world, our equipment is top notch, and very capable of acheiving our shooting ability,.............of course there will be some smartass comment im sure, so my reply is here.... if im completly wrong, why have i done it more than once, why can a person trained in breaking cement blocks with a single karate chop do it better than others, why can a highly trained military sniper take and make a kill shot farther than the eye can see, why are certain poker players, always at the final table and yet thousands that keep trying are not, because we beleive in ourselfs, if you set your mind to it, nothing is short of impossible"

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    #1 son called me all excited this morning after whacking a little doe.
    Got the season off to a quick start.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    #1 son called me all excited this morning after whacking a little doe.
    Got the season off to a quick start.

Awesome! Buddy of mine whacked one at 6:30 and one at 7:25. I'll be hitting the stand in a few hours after work. I've had tons of does around but haven't seen a buck. They will show up in due time I suppose.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    For those of you who are out early in the season, do you hunt for horns this early or are you looking to fill the freezer first?

Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom