• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have always sorta kinda wanted a 223 bolt gun - but - I don't know. Is 223 Rem a good choice for a "1600 yard" rifle? Am I ever going to find a range that is even 600 yards long? 1 in 7 twist, I could shoot "heavy" bullets in it. Barrel life would probably better than the Creedmoors, but so would the 308. What do you guys think?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Back when I still had my rifle in it's .223 form (24"), I had talked to Ed about the theoretical max range I could attain with the rifle and my 75gr hand-loads - IIRC, the ballpark max range was just shy of 1100/1200 yards. And that was a 1:9 twist barrel, pushing a 75gr A-max at a healthy pace.

New Holland PA, they do F-Class at 600 yards - nice range, and good people. Been meaning to get back out there, but free weekends are quite rare for me now.

nosdog2

Jan 9, 2013
    Yeah, pricey for a .223, but all in all it is still less than some "custom" or nicer AR platforms. I have it in 308 and LOVE the thing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IMHO, I'd get something like a Mossberg Pradtor or Varmit in 5.56/.223 instead. They seem to be decent guns. Lighter than an RPR by a lot. Supposed to be decent shooters. They take AR-15 magazines (apparently are a little finicky on which ones they like).

Oh and like half the price or less. That is the route I am going for a .223 bolt gun in a year or two.

As for long distance, the 70+ grain rounds can reach out to 600yds no problem. Not a 1000yd round though.

Downside is the MVP 5.56 rifles are 1:9 twist. The couple reviews I found says 69gr for tack driving accuracy. 77gr shoots okay, but not as accurate as the medium weight rounds.

The MVP-LR has a 20" 1:7 twist barrel and some long range shooting ergonomics, but also MSRPs at $975. I assume you could find it a bit cheaper, but that doesn't save you too much over a Ruger precision rifle.

Another edit, the MVP-LR doesn't seem all that common, but I found a new one around $850 (Gander) so I guess you could find one in the $800 range.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A few F-TR shooters would be quite happy to show you that the little .223 can indeed reach 1k, biggest issue is keeping the SD/ES's down to single digits and reading the wind correctly. Can't say I've personally even come close to 1k with a .223, as it got re-barreled into a .260 a while back. But the round can reach, it's just not as easy to do it, as say with a .308/6.5/or other caliber.

Even with the factory Savage 24" 1:9 tube, which had the rifling shot out by nearly 3/16" past the chamber - 75gr A-max's would turn respectable groups from 100 to 500 yards, with consistency. 25.3gr H335, Tula SRP, COL of 2.380", roughly 2910fps (IIRC). 69gr Nosler Cust. Comp's and 75gr A-max's printed damn near identically.

G2.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Emphasis on a few. Sure it is possible to do it and with the right setup a handful a shooters are good enough to do it. It is more of a struggle than with a .308, 6.5 Grendel, creedmore, etc.

Though we are talking paper/gongs, if you looked at lethality, the retained energy at that distance is low. About 22lr levels of energy with a bullet not designed to expand at those velocities. Which doesn't mean it couldn't kill, but again, .223s effectiveness as a round is pretty low at 1000yds.

Some of the fun is of course sometimes going to the limit and beyond.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Emphasis on a few. Sure it is possible to do it and with the right setup a handful a shooters are good enough to do it. It is more of a struggle than with a .308, 6.5 Grendel, creedmore, etc.

Though we are talking paper/gongs, if you looked at lethality, the retained energy at that distance is low. About 22lr levels of energy with a bullet not designed to expand at those velocities. Which doesn't mean it couldn't kill, but again, .223s effectiveness as a round is pretty low at 1000yds.

Some of the fun is of course sometimes going to the limit and beyond.

That right there is all the reason some need.

"If it was easy, everyone would do it."

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    The rpr 5.56 is going for $800, what do you guys think?

I don’t think I would shoot any further than 300 yards and the rifle it self looks pretty good cosmatically and function wise.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you want it, go for it.

I'll just say that the heavier rounds are going to be your friends, ideally handloads to truly shine - even at a short range of 300.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I ended up getting a Tikka T3x Lite Compact in 223 with a 20" barrel. I added the spacer for a 14"LOP. I was able to shoot MOA groups first time out at the range.

Attachments

• 20171009_193455.jpg
      20171009_193455.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 227

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    Savage?

I really wanted a bolt gun but wanted to stick to .223 because it's currently the only centerfire rifle caliber I shoot. Picked up the Savage Axis II with the included Weaver 3-9x40 scope, walnut stock and accutrigger for $350. $50 transfer and a $100 rebate so all said and done $300 out the door. Love the thing and it's a track drive and suits my needs for 100-400 yard shooting. If I was going 500+ I'd get a 308 probably.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    By most of the recent comments seems like if anyone wants a bolt rifle, it runs a lot less than 800. However, personally I like the look of the rpr rifle all u gotta to do is slap a Scope on it and good to go.

I think it would costs a lot more to buy an after market chassis to achieve the look I like.

Therefore, I think that’s a pretty good buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom