• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    I used to own a number of Garands...including a 3-digit serial number. I'm down to two now. They are incredible rifles...design-, performance- and history-wise.

Very cool. I always wanted an early production rifle.

Beautiful rifle! I have a WRA M1, serial number makes it an early 1943 production. I specifically wanted a Winchester, because I wanted one that was made for WW2. These serial number range means that this rifle, or one made at the same time, was carried at the same time my uncle carried a Garand in the Italian Campaign where he lost his leg. I can't imagine lugging this thing across Europe though... Its heavy and tires me out carrying it up the hill from Hap Baker!!!

Its a Frankenstein though, has a 1943-1944 era SA stock, a SA trigger, HRA bolt and a replacement barrel. Very fun rifle to shoot. It always attracts attention at the range when I take it out... because they are gorgeous weapons and because the 30-06 round is quite a bit louder than most other rifles at the range!

My WRA M1 Garand is very similar. I think the only WRA part on it besides the receiver is the trigger housing assembly, and none of the internals are Winchester. It fills a whole in the collection for now, and shoots surprisingly well for a rifle that gauges 3/3.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    if you don't mind, what's a gun like that cost, in that condition? are they still sub-1000?
    I believe I paid $930 for mine, a service grade. They sold out on January 6 of this year. You can get service grade Springfields or Harrington and Richardson M1's right now for $750, or International Harvestor for $1030.

I was very fortunate to get such a nice rifle, in my opinion. It was rated 1+ on the muzzle and 2+ on the throat, but I believe they are both a little tighter than they were marked. The CMP has a reputation of under promising and over delivering when it comes to barrel measurements. This rifle shoots a lot better than I do!

I went back and checked, my receiver's serial number makes it a March 1943 production and the cartouche on the stock makes it an August 1943 to March 1945 production stock. The barrel was replaced in the 1950's, which indicated to me that it saw heavy use in WW2 and possibly Korea. Very special rifle to me, its an honor to own one!!!

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    I believe I paid $930 for mine, a service grade. They sold out on January 6 of this year. You can get service grade Springfields or Harrington and Richardson M1's right now for $750, or International Harvestor for $1030.

I was very fortunate to get such a nice rifle, in my opinion. It was rated 1+ on the muzzle and 2+ on the throat, but I believe they are both a little tighter than they were marked. The CMP has a reputation of under promising and over delivering when it comes to barrel measurements. This rifle shoots a lot better than I do!

I went back and checked, my receiver's serial number makes it a March 1943 production and the cartouche on the stock makes it an August 1943 to March 1945 production stock. The barrel was replaced in the 1950's, which indicated to me that it saw heavy use in WW2 and possibly Korea. Very special rifle to me, its an honor to own one!!!

thank you. sounds like you got a really good deal. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom