Anyone with Experience with Spike's 9mm AR lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    hello! just doing my research around and looks like many folks have AR-9 builds, i just picked up a Osprey 45 so i figured i'd look into one now too, what barrel lengths are ppl doing?i'm thinking 4-6" since there will be a suppressor added. i'm highly considering a pistol build, i dont want to do a barrel block on my SBR lowers...

what are ppl using for dedicated 9mm lowers? i've seen spikes but i dont know what ppl are using nowadays... i'm not against buying everything complete either... thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    QC 10. Haven't shot it yet so the jury's still out. Fit, finish, and function testing have been fine so far.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Yankee Hill for my SBR 10.5 Inch build. The upper and most other parts, except fire control group, are original Colt SMG parts.

I may be selling a Colt complete 9mm carbine soon. Keep any eye on the classifieds.

Attachments

• 20170308_181111.jpg
      20170308_181111.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 347

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I built a pistol with an ADCO 5" barrel and a CMMG dedicated lower.

Waiting for me in my parts bucket is a PSA glock lower that will be a pistol, and a Form 1 approved CMMG that will use a Ballistic Advantage 10.5" barrel.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    I built a pistol with an ADCO 5" barrel and a CMMG dedicated lower.

Waiting for me in my parts bucket is a PSA glock lower that will be a pistol, and a Form 1 approved CMMG that will use a Ballistic Advantage 10.5" barrel.

Why so many 9mm platforms?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I kind of cheated. I bought a complete PSA Glock mag lower with an arm brace then added a complete PSA 10-1/2" m-lok upper. So far only fired 150-200 rounds, but runs flawlessly using Am Eagle FMJ 115 gr.

I chose 10-1/2 in barrel over others primarily because according to ballistics, you should get about 150 - 160 ft/sec higher muzzle velocity (any longer and velocity gains drop off rapidly). The 4" barrel is so short as to have to be careful to not shoot your hand off if you shoulder or cheek the brace. One of our customers bought a 4" barreled upper then used an AFG because he decided it might be prudent.

One issue with the PSA lower: no last round fired hold open. The spikes does have that.

See ballistics chart: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.htm

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I bought the spikes brown recluse suppressed rifle. While the upper is in NFA jail. I’ve been running the lower with a budget 9mm upper and it runs great.

The fit, finish on the spikes lower is superb. The parts are also excellent. Trigger pull is smooth . No gritty feel. ( out of the box)

Attachments

• B0ABDC17-FBCE-48D3-9476-B8460A84776F.jpg
      B0ABDC17-FBCE-48D3-9476-B8460A84776F.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 149

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    hello! just doing my research around and looks like many folks have AR-9 builds, i just picked up a Osprey 45 so i figured i'd look into one now too, what barrel lengths are ppl doing?i'm thinking 4-6" since there will be a suppressor added. i'm highly considering a pistol build, i dont want to do a barrel block on my SBR lowers...

what are ppl using for dedicated 9mm lowers? i've seen spikes but i dont know what ppl are using nowadays... i'm not against buying everything complete either... thanks!

I have a new frontier Glock mag lower I did from an 80% I’ve been very happy with it. I did my storm trooper built off it :)

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    got a Joe bob lower and side charging upper and love it. the side charge really helps keep the gas down out of the rear.

got a ballistic advantage 5.5 barrel with midwayusa stoner handguard on there which my suppressor fits under nicely

been working on getting hollow points to feed correctly and think i have found a solution

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.19.23 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.19.23 AM.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 122

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    My recent AR9 toy:

I went with Gibbz Arms side charging AR9 upper, lower, and rail. The theme is "Star Wars". I modelled it after a storm trooper blaster. Got about 300 rounds through it so far and it is flawless!
    :party29:

Attachments

• Full1.jpg
      Full1.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 104
    • perspective.jpg
      perspective.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 146
    • rx1.jpg
      rx1.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 86
    • Front1.jpg
      Front1.jpg
      27.5 KB · Views: 84
    • brace1.jpg
      brace1.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 117

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    My recent AR9 toy:

I went with Gibbz Arms side charging AR9 upper, lower, and rail. The theme is "Star Wars". I modelled it after a storm trooper blaster. Got about 300 rounds through it so far and it is flawless!
    :party29:

is the bolt release on the opposite side?? :confused:

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    thats an interesting part of the lower to not include. i wonder why they did that

Bolt is always closed. I agree it seems weird, but it works fine. It actually is really reliable, and has eaten everything I've thrown at it, from crappy steel cased Russian Ammo, to Hollow points and +p+ stuff. it just keeps on chugging. reasonable accurate, and predictable recoil. It's a blast to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom