• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    A buddy bought a new AR today.

The shop gave him the mag it came with but drilled the mag and put a rivet in at the 10 round mark.

The problem is that they did it on the thin side of the mag and I'm wondering if this has compromised the magazine in any way. It is made of plastic and the rivet is more to the left side. I don't know why he dint just removed the floor plate and put a stick in it then glue it in place.

Any opinions/facts will be appreciated.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    IMO don't trust a drilled mag. Right over state lines magazines of all capacities are bountiful, reliable, and cheap. Pick up a few next trip! After all, a rifle is only as good as its magazine - unless you're a fan of single shots.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    IMO don't trust a drilled mag. Right over state lines magazines of all capacities are bountiful, reliable, and cheap. Pick up a few next trip! After all, a rifle is only as good as its magazine - unless you're a fan of single shots.

I would agree with this, its not necessarily that its bad but you can buy AR mags so cheap. Get new ones, put that one in the parts pile for the day you are desperate or need a rebuild kit.

I would trust some drilled mags particulary if they are steel (AK, Mini-XX) but on a common platform there isn't really a reason to trust one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A glued in stick probably wouldn’t be considered a permanent modification by anyone is why. Also is the glue dry before he leaves the store with it?

I see why they put the rivet in.

It’s a magazine. Order a few 10-rnd mags if he doesn’t want do head over the boarder. You can get them for about $12-15 each.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Toss the mag. Buy a bag of 10 rounders. Pickup up some 20s and 30s next time he gets to friendly territory. Chalk up the expense as privilege tax for living in the peoples republic.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Trash it. Standard mags are cheap and plentiful.

Nice sentiment, including a mag, but doing it that way, might as well have kept it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm thinking the rivet would crush the surrounding plastic, remove the rivet, drill a hole large enough to remove any compromised "plastic", if not happy with that size hole (structurally) then trash it. Similar to a crack in plexi, drill a 1/16" hole at the end of the crack and it will not travel.

Congrats on the purchase, enjoy it.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    And 'make' a legal 10 rounder into a somehow evil puppy/kitten killing 30 rounder?

Why not, just don't pop that rivet out in MD.

Because that would be "manufacturing" a >10 round magazine, which is illegal. Drive over the state line into VA or PA, pop, the rivet, drive back into MD, and you've broken no laws. Unless you were speeding to get back into MD.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Toss the mag. Buy a bag of 10 rounders. Pickup up some 20s and 30s next time he gets to friendly territory. Chalk up the expense as privilege tax for living in the peoples republic.
    Correct answer ^^^

The only 'pinned' mag I own is from a 15-22 that I bought in MD after FSA 2013. That one I trust, it's only a 22lr, but if he wants a 10rd mag to comply with potential future infringement on our 2A rights, buy some 10rd mags... they are a lot easier if you are shooting prone anyway! :lol2:

Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    Thank you guys for the helpful info.

I understand that it will now be a secondary range mag or for parts eventually.

-JW,

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Correct answer ^^^

The only 'pinned' mag I own is from a 15-22 that I bought in MD after FSA 2013. That one I trust, it's only a 22lr, but if he wants a 10rd mag to comply with potential future infringement on our 2A rights, buy some 10rd mags... they are a lot easier if you are shooting prone anyway! :lol2:

Assume you are talking about the standard size with the blue follower.

There is a good vid on removing that pin. Of course you would have to do it in PA or VA or somewhere outside of MD. :innocent0

After I took MY trip up to PA and removed the pin, it has run like a champ ever since. You do need a thin dowel to load it however.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Assume you are talking about the standard size with the blue follower.

There is a good vid on removing that pin. Of course you would have to do it in PA or VA or somewhere outside of MD. :innocent0

After I took MY trip up to PA and removed the pin, it has run like a champ ever since. You do need a thin dowel to load it however.
    Honestly, I haven't messed with it. I did take a trip to obtain some standard 25rd mags, so I haven't really needed to modify the pinned one. I bought the rifle from a local ISP and I suspect they pinned it, but no big deal. One day I may mess with it, or perhaps not. If MD bans hicap mags, I can still use that one.. :lol2::lol2:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    He should toss the mag into a junk box, drive to the closest state that sells standard-capacity mags, and buy a few.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Do be wary of a pinned magazine, especially if the pin is a pop-rivet. A friend bought a Wyndom AR from a shop in Essex. They included a 20 round mag that was pinned to 10 rounds with a pop-rivet. The first time he put it in the gun, it got stuck. He had to pull really hard to get it out. The damn rivet left a nasty scar inside the mag well. So, I agree with the others: get yet some out-of state (free America) mags or, if you're worried that we'll have to alter or surrender them in Maryland, you can mail order some 10 rounders (ASC makes metal ones).

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Do be wary of a pinned magazine, especially if the pin is a pop-rivet. A friend bought a Wyndom AR from a shop in Essex. They included a 20 round mag that was pinned to 10 rounds with a pop-rivet. The first time he put it in the gun, it got stuck. He had to pull really hard to get it out. The damn rivet left a nasty scar inside the mag well.

It's a felony to do that to a mag acquired inside of MD on/after 10/1/13. Falls under the "manufacture" definition.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    It's a felony to do that to a mag acquired inside of MD on/after 10/1/13. Falls under the "manufacture" definition.

Ok, now I'm really confused. What's illegal ? I thought pinning a +10 round mag was okay, just a no-no to unpin. But they didn't say that was done

Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    So, yes it has a rivet in the mag stopping it from holding more than 10 rnds. It functions fine and is now relegated to a range mag nothing more.

The bigger problem that has now cropped up is that Sig Sauer has made this version of the MCX Its called The "Snake Bite". Its the same thing as the MCX Vertus. If you remove the bolt/recoil assy you can see straight through the entire rifle. There is nothing blocking dirt or debris from entering the gun if you fall forward and get dirt into the action. I am uncertain if the entire MCX line is made this way BUT, it doesn't make you feel good about using it to defend yourself in any circumstance. Eg: If the person you are pointing the gun at throws debris at you its possibly going to jam the guns action rendering you helpless. That is if the plastic part doesnt fail first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86DpZ1dsc3c

Also, he found out that the rear recoil spring plate (catch/holder) is made of plastic. For a rifle that is selling for $ 2500.00 Sig should be using metal in every bit of the gun.

When he called Sig to purchase a metal replacement they denied producing one. He proved that the rifle currently in production called the Rattler has that same exact plate that is metal and is pinned to keep things in place. Sig denied that also and then said "Your plate has been tested to thousands of rounds and should be fine. If you ever have an issue with it call us back and we will take care of it".

Won't be buying another Sig, they feel the general public does not warrant a gun that is of military grade like they claim they are. Using plastic in the action of any gun is known to be less than acceptable for reliability.

Sorry Sig, we wont be bitten by your lack of truth, and engineering. We won't buy another Sig Rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom