• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    Getting my collector's license took me about 60-80 days.

I send the form in. Waited a month, heard nothing and called. They claimed to not have received it. I send it in again. Same thing, but I waited longer. Same thing, it was lost somehow in transit.

So I called again and talked to a very helpfull officer (Naples maybe?) who, when hearing my story, declared it "********" and told me to fax the form to him directly and that he would take care of it.

I got it back in the mail 4 days later with a note asking me to call him to insure that it arrived.

I believe that I listed my "interest" as "guns are pretty damm cool." or something like that.

jhartmac

Jan 7, 2007
    Virginia/maryland
    Got mine when they were first available, years back, kept a copy of the letter I sent, I really seriously doubt you can get a carry permit because of a collection and transporting the collection to where? for what? They give out permits to business owners mainly based on the issue of transporting and dealing with cash............thats it...........as a collector unless your a 001, you cant buy and sell firearms.........so as a collector you would be protecting your collection? maybe thats plausable? but how many gun owners you know that doesnt have a considerable collection? I just dont see it happening...............
    Bird Flue??????? wow I work with them, and with the genetists and vets.....for the goverment actually never heard the close deal with mutations, and in fact mutations dont necessarily happen over nite, theres only one virsus I know of that mutates often to beat any practical way to attack it, and thats HIV..........

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    Sent it in on January 12 and just got it in the mail today, Feb22. I was beginning to wonder if it was lost. Now, if a lower was purchased less than 30 days ago and I have already taken possession of it, then can I apply for something new right now within the 30 day frame? Or since I just received it, does it start right now for any purchases?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Sent it in on January 12 and just got it in the mail today, Feb22. I was beginning to wonder if it was lost. Now, if a lower was purchased less than 30 days ago and I have already taken possession of it, then can I apply for something new right now within the 30 day frame? Or since I just received it, does it start right now for any purchases?

You can go buy whatever you want right now, the 30 day wait no longer applies to you. I will tell ya it feels great not to have to worry about the 30 day wait thing, but it also makes it harder to not buy every deal you see.:)

sks noob

Jan 3, 2008
    Glenn Dale MD
    called today and got in touch with the guy who processes the collector status and he says they're backed up. But if you did send it to Jessup it will get there. And I quote from him "Everybody want to be a Collector". I also got his direct contact number if anyone wants it.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I will be applying for my collector status very soon.

Being new to the state and this forum I have a "what if" question dealing with Maryland's regulated firearm laws. For example an AR lower (With the serial) is the regulated part, correct? And because I can not afford to buy all the "Evil" regulated firearms I want, without a long saving time between each one. I buy the stripped regulated parts now and stock up. Then finish the builds at my leisure.

Just a thought.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD

Being new to the state and this forum I have a "what if" question dealing with Maryland's regulated firearm laws. For example an AR lower (With the serial) is the regulated part, correct? And because I can not afford to buy all the "Evil" regulated firearms I want, without a long saving time between each one. I buy the stripped regulated parts now and stock up. Then finish the builds at my leisure.

Just a thought.

First all Welcome, and to the first part of your question, yes the lower is the only restricted item on an AR, I would by the lowers when you have the money being they are the regulated part, and like you said you can always purchase the parts to finish the lower later.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Of course it does not matter if it is a federal AWB, but a state AWB just means that I will be eying the PA border a little bit harder.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Just a thought.

Yeah. Just make sure you get "evil" uppers (with flash hiders, bayonet lugs, etc.) in case of an AWB, then you'll be covered. Oh, and make sure you get a barrel at least 16" (or a shorter barrel with a permanently attached flash hider making the length 16" or more)!

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    Yeah. Just make sure you get "evil" uppers (with flash hiders, bayonet lugs, etc.) in case of an AWB, then you'll be covered. Oh, and make sure you get a barrel at least 16" (or a shorter barrel with a permanently attached flash hider making the length 16" or more)!

If it looks like a ban like that goes through, I plan to just get a few threaded barrels and flash hiders to keep on hand. If you have the lower purchased already and those items before the ban, you can get an upper any time to put it all together. I'll probably pick up a few different collapsable stocks too. Definitely will get a Magpul CTR stock at that time.

Then if a ban comes, I'll go for one of those smaller Ace skeleton stocks (ARFX-E?). I have been wanting to try one because they look nice, but I dont' want to do it if the others are not banned. I do think the look better than a pinned 4 or 6 position stock during the last ban. Plus, the old pinned stocks looked like they pinned them in the fully extended position, which doesn't work for me.

Hopefully everyone has realized that the AWB sunset has not caused an increase in crime and we won't have a real push for a new one. Of course, then we will probably have an incident where someone uses an AR15 to kill people that will help it along. Similar to the Hollywood shootout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom