• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What does that even mean? Please, enlighten me on whats so sketchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the sketchy is that you seem to have ill defined needs, other than (I am paraphrasing intentionally badly) I need a cheap, accurate, reliable gun really fast and seemed to take a really long time to be able to articulate what your standards in any of those categories are really.

So it sounds sketchy.

But for that price, an SKS would be about it, unless going bolt-action, then maybe a savage, Ruger American or mossberg patriot. An old bolt action battle rifle may fit the bill, but likely to be hit or miss on accuracy and likely to weigh a lot more (and be larger) than the above lists brands/models.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Gotcha. Thank you for the legitmate answer! I thought you guys meant sketchy as in me sounding like a criminal or something. Anyways. It wasn't a thought out post. I just figured "Hey, I see a lot of m1 garands, they're reliable, I should be able to find one for cheap".

So far my leads are a Mosin Nagant, They're well below budget. Or a Remmington 700 from Earnest for $400. I've heard great things about these guns.

My criteria wasn't very specific. Just wanted a gun with good range, accuracy, and relatively cheap (sub $500). I don't want something small such as a .22, but want something with common ammo.

As far as accuracy, I want consistant grouping past 200 yards.

For reliability, a gun that can be beat on a bit, can put down a few thousand or so rounds before any issues.

Hopefully this clears some of the sketchiness up.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No one mentioned the Swiss surplus rifles, the K31 and the K11.
    Those are both very accurate, reliable, and still amazingly cheap. Like under $400, even under $300 if you shop around.

These are straight-pull bolt actions with 6 round magazines, chambered for 7.5 mm Swiss, which is a .308 class cartridge.

If you just want to blast cheap ammo at the range, and are happy with basketball sized groups 8 inches away from your aiming point, then a Mosin or an SKS will do the job. But if you want decent groups on target at 200 or 400 or 600 yards, then get a K31 while you still can.

If you still can.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The correct answer for cheap, reliable, and accurate is always SKS.

What do you consider accurate?

My SKS shoots 8" - 10" groups about about 8" right and low. Absolutely horrible trigger, short sight radius, cartridge fizzles at longer range.

The K31 is a precision, long range, high powered rifle, capable of superb accuracy at long range.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    OP is all over the map on this thread. Seriously:

1. How cheap is cheap ? Criteria:

2 Garand on purpose ?

3. Semiauto.308 on purpose ?

4. .30 cal bore size bolt action ?
    Completely agree. Multiple people asked how cheap is cheap. Including myself.

That being said 308 hog Hunter is an amazing shooter on the cheap.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Gotcha. Thank you for the legitmate answer! I thought you guys meant sketchy as in me sounding like a criminal or something. Anyways. It wasn't a thought out post.

That is exactly why it was called as sketchy. Also your ability to rapidly respond. It seemed as if you needed it today for some reason, that may or may not have been above board.

The longer you are here, the more you will see.

You may want to consider using the "quote" button, so people know who you are responding to.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I mean replicas as in non WW2 m1 garands. Not looking for a collector gun, I want the cheapest, fully functional m1

The CMP is the best place I can think of .

These are CMP rifles..

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      95 KB · Views: 164

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    That is exactly why it was called as sketchy. Also your ability to rapidly respond. It seemed as if you needed it today for some reason, that may or may not have been above board.

The longer you are here, the more you will see.

You may want to consider using the "quote" button, so people know who you are responding to.

I wasn't doing anything, just passing time on my phone. Mostly why I made the topic. Yeah I'm aware of the quote feature. Gotcha. The ability to respond quickly comes with being a young guy lol.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I wasn't doing anything, just passing time on my phone. Mostly why I made the topic. Yeah I'm aware of the quote feature. Gotcha. The ability to respond quickly comes with being a young guy lol.

Look, kid. I don't know how to say this any other way, than to say it. The title of the thread, the vagueness, the lack of quoting, the rapid responses, short membership, etc... all show a pattern that has popped up on MDS and other firearm forums over the years, on numerous occasions.

We deal with the influx of those who want to trip us up, want to get advice on how to break the law, and other things that are not exactly legal, so that they can entrap the community. As time has gone on, my senses have become tuned to the BS and you set off not just one member's spidey senses, but a lot of members spidey senses. Be careful in the future, k?

Being young has nothing to do with the rapid responses. Being young has nothing to do with anything around here. I hang out/shoot with members that are as young as 22 all the way to older than my father. Just because you say that you are young, doesn't mean that you will get cut any slack. Those who called you out range from 23-60+ and I am within that age range. Just a heads up, it used to be that some members though I was younger than they thought, because of my knowledge and information base. A user name, join date, and a post count can be deceiving, my friend.

You want to change your stars in the community, join us at the Dottrio Shoot in Frederick MD on 10/29. You will need to register for a free ticket for the event. Check out Dottrio LLC in the IP (Industry Partner) section. I'll be there.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Meet and hang out with us. One hour FREE range time. Hang out some more. Possible cookies. Chance to meet Clandestine and have him check you out in his trailer of wonders.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Meet and hang out with us. One hour FREE range time. Hang out some more. Possible cookies. Chance to meet Clandestine and have him check you out in his trailer of wonders.

Will there be cookies in the trailer of wonders? Could I bring a cousin (srs)?
    Interested. Haven't been shootin in a bit.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just picked up a savage 111, 7mm Mag, with a Nikon scope from Dicks Sporting Goods for about $420 (after rebate) It has the acu-trigger. Haven't shot it yet but I have high hopes for it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What happens at the event? Just a group shoot?

Look down.

CFO is a incredible sight! The only thing it is missing is the smoker hanging off the back, with a rack of ribs and a pork belly for bacon. 'Merica.

Just don't tell him about the lapping tool... :innocent0

:lol:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Will there be cookies in the trailer of wonders? Could I bring a cousin (srs)?
    Interested. Haven't been shootin in a bit.

Just a heads up for the caliber restrictions.

Tracer, armor piercing, steel jacket/core, belted magnum, and steel shot ammunition are not permitted in the ranges.
    No muzzle loading firearms, black powder firearms or calibers exceeding .44 magnum, .3o8, and 10 gauge are permitted on the range

Click here to register.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=190281

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Can I bring my cousin? We'd be bringing 5.56/ maybe 7.62

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC