• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone else hardly seeing anything? Since the last full moon when it was up all night the deer have changed patterns and I can't find many at all. Even huntined 9 - 2 and see some, but not a lot.

Feeling bad about all the does I passed up waiting for the rut action which seems to never have heated up at our place. Some deer walking about with tails out, forks and spike following does lightly, not chasing. No big bucks seen and no swollen necks noticed. This "rut" doesn't even seem like one at our place.

Late last week, I think Thursday a nice 6 point smacked a fence jumping it in my neighbors woods I am allowed to hunt. Doe followed it about 20 seconds later. They weren’t going super fast after clearing the fence. I suspect probably my neighbor’s dog chased them or a neighbor or for a walk scared them out of the front yard. My guess is he’d been chasing her right before they turned tail the other way.

That 6-pt was nicer than the 5 I got the week before. Not like I often check in my chickens with a crossbow slung...so wouldn’t have had a chance on this guy. New to the territory. Don’t think I’ve seen him before. Haven’t seen any big bucks with the mkI eyeball. I am going to pull my game camera memory cards next week. Look at the last 3 weeks of pictures. I am done hunting my property for the year though. Well, unless a real monster steps up (even your average 8 point wouldn’t count. Need to be a 10 or a really big 8). Too much venison as it is (about 100lbs in the freezer).

I am going to try hitting Monocacy for a half day maybe next week or the week after to scout it more for next year. I’ll bring a rifle and if I see something nice harvest it. Might look to do a late season doe cull, but that’ll either be donating to hunters feed the hungry or line up some neighbors who want venison.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Late last week, I think Thursday a nice 6 point smacked a fence jumping it in my neighbors woods I am allowed to hunt. Doe followed it about 20 seconds later. They weren’t going super fast after clearing the fence. I suspect probably my neighbor’s dog chased them or a neighbor or for a walk scared them out of the front yard. My guess is he’d been chasing her right before they turned tail the other way.

That 6-pt was nicer than the 5 I got the week before. Not like I often check in my chickens with a crossbow slung...so wouldn’t have had a chance on this guy. New to the territory. Don’t think I’ve seen him before. Haven’t seen any big bucks with the mkI eyeball. I am going to pull my game camera memory cards next week. Look at the last 3 weeks of pictures. I am done hunting my property for the year though. Well, unless a real monster steps up (even your average 8 point wouldn’t count. Need to be a 10 or a really big 8). Too much venison as it is (about 100lbs in the freezer).

I am going to try hitting Monocacy for a half day maybe next week or the week after to scout it more for next year. I’ll bring a rifle and if I see something nice harvest it. Might look to do a late season doe cull, but that’ll either be donating to hunters feed the hungry or line up some neighbors who want venison.
    Lol. This time a year I always have the crossbow (or muzzle loader when legal) close when I check on the horses and chickens. Just never know what I might jump.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lol. This time a year I always have the crossbow (or muzzle loader when legal) close when I check on the horses and chickens. Just never know what I might jump.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My wife doesn’t like me leaving it in the garage and a pain to go get it out of my beer and gun room on the other side of the house to then go get eggs and feed the chickens.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Anyone else hardly seeing anything? Since the last full moon when it was up all night the deer have changed patterns and I can't find many at all. Even huntined 9 - 2 and see some, but not a lot.

Feeling bad about all the does I passed up waiting for the rut action which seems to never have heated up at our place. Some deer walking about with tails out, forks and spike following does lightly, not chasing. No big bucks seen and no swollen necks noticed. This "rut" doesn't even seem like one at our place.

I am right there with you, they have gone dark on me. Have a cell trail cam and deer that were constant at certain times are all off prior pattern. Spot where I hunt hardly has any pressure either. Well besides some jack@ss land owner painting trees blue that are 150 yards inside of our lease blue... I have been laying off as just are not there. Hoping during upcoming gun some will be bumped from wherever they have gone.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have been starting to see them again. For me they are coming into the fields I hunt just before sunset. I am also starting to see them on my cam right at sunrise as well. Mostly does that I see though, which is fine with me. I can't eat the antlers anyway. Number 4 for the season went down tonight. The freezer is well stocked now.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I think its full rut here, havent seen much except this guy a few times on my game cam behind the house...only nocturnal though...

resized_20191125_111217-jpg.3660085

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    try hitting Monocacy for a half day maybe next week or the week after to scout it more for next year. I’ll bring a rifle
    I did not know you could hunt Monocacy with a rifle?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I did not know you could hunt Monocacy with a rifle?

All of Frederick county is rifle now. But yeah, I contacted DNR and I got a “sorry, I am out west pheasant hunting right now, try contact Seneca creek and ask them”. Some board members have said it’s okay and the park is certainly in the rifle section of the county, but I am double checking with Seneca I guess.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Hunted this morning, saw nothing. But a 8am there was a pack of coyotes yipping I'd say within 100 yards.

Time for some predator calls and night vision

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Damn,what happened?

Bolt shattered upon firing. This was an old bolt - but I had flexed it before firing. Never had that happen before....

ETA - I had seen a few complaints in reviews about the CE piledrivers doing this, but I have used then without issue for a few years now. I am going to be changing brands before picking the bow back up after gun season.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I typically bow hunt on Thanksgiving morning. Glad i wasnt in the stand this morning!!!

My son heard the tree fall and crash into the stand this morning.

Attachments

• 7B904C7E-2DBD-4E87-B1F1-554DA7A06F32.jpg
      7B904C7E-2DBD-4E87-B1F1-554DA7A06F32.jpg
      98.1 KB · Views: 243
    • D51F392A-626B-4F39-B042-A17B0EE5DE85.jpg
      D51F392A-626B-4F39-B042-A17B0EE5DE85.jpg
      100.3 KB · Views: 254

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members