• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The republicans could have passed this when they had majorities in both houses + the president and didn't. They didn't do it then and they won't force it now. DCs gun ordinances make too good of a punching bag for interested parties on that side of the aisle to just legislate them away.

That was before McDonald where the SCOTUS declared 2A as a "Fundemental Right".

The irrony: to manage DC, the legislature doesn't need a presidential signature.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    What about us? I know the laws in DC are horrific at best, but why not enforce the Second Amendment in the states too. Yes: we have the Tenth Amendment, but it doesn't nullify the Second.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I knew something smelled fishy with that list. That list is a trap!

I cannot find an updated version of Second Amendment Enforcement Act. I am not sure it is public record yet. The article says it “largely the same as a measure that failed to gain support in the previous, Democratic-controlled Congress.” This includes standard capasity magizines, DC residents can buy directly from MD/VA dealers, and assault weapons.

The ONLY wild list seems to be from the Eleanor Holmes Norton's website as quoted in a previous post. In her list she cites a lot of items that even gun people would find as objectionable. They do not even make sense with respect to DC law. Many of these things were not in the 2008 bill.

From the playbook: EHN will make a lot of claims (lies) and hysteria about the legislation to create a negative connotation about what is in the bill. When the bill is available (probably as said the same as the 2008 bill) it will not have what she said it will, but it will already have a strongly tarnished image.

For example, CCW is EHN’s very first objection. CCW is specifically NOT permitted in the 2008 bill.

http://tester.senate.gov/Legislation/upload/second_amendment_enforcement_act.pdf

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

That is not the bill itself, which is critical to the claims. That is Mike Ross's description of what is in it. Oddly his description is drastically different than Eleanor Holmes Norton's description. :rolleyes:

Someone is deliberately misrepresenting the bill. Either it is EHN or Ross telling major lies to promote their platform. I wonder who the corrupt politician will be.:sad20:

Place your bets.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    That is not the bill itself, which is critical to the claims. That is Mike Ross's description of what is in it. Oddly his description is drastically different than Eleanor Holmes Norton's description. :rolleyes:

Someone is deliberately misrepresenting the bill. Either it is EHN or Ross telling major lies to promote their platform. I wonder who the corrupt politician will be.:sad20:

Place your bets.

$20 says it's EHN ;)

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I knew something smelled fishy with that list. That list is a trap!

I cannot find an updated version of Second Amendment Enforcement Act. I am not sure it is public record yet. The article says it “largely the same as a measure that failed to gain support in the previous, Democratic-controlled Congress.” This includes standard capasity magizines, DC residents can buy directly from MD/VA dealers, and assault weapons.

The ONLY wild list seems to be from the Eleanor Holmes Norton's website as quoted in a previous post. In her list she cites a lot of items that even gun people would find as objectionable. They do not even make sense with respect to DC law. Many of these things were not in the 2008 bill.

From the playbook: EHN will make a lot of claims (lies) and hysteria about the legislation to create a negative connotation about what is in the bill. When the bill is available (probably as said the same as the 2008 bill) it will not have what she said it will, but it will already have a strongly tarnished image.

For example, CCW is EHN’s very first objection. CCW is specifically NOT permitted in the 2008 bill.

http://tester.senate.gov/Legislation/upload/second_amendment_enforcement_act.pdf

Sure does look like a bait/switch...from Mike Ross's announcement that Inigoes linked:

The major provisions of the Second Amendment Enforcement Act include:

Repeal the D.C. Semiautomatic Ban. The District has restricted or banned the availability of various types of semiautomatic firearms that are widely owned throughout the United States. This repeal would allow District residents to choose for themselves the best firearms to meet their needs. The District’s current ban on fully-automatic machine guns would remain in place.

Restore the Right to Self Defense in the Home. The bill would repeal the District’s current storage law and allow gun owners to store their firearms so that they are readily available for immediate defensive purposes. It would also provide for criminal penalties when a person allows an unattended firearm to fall into the hands of minors who harm themselves or others.

Authorize Purchases of Firearms and Ammunition by D.C. Residents. Because there are not traditional gun shops in D.C. and federal law prohibits a person from purchasing handguns outside the person’s state of residence, this bill would provide more meaningful opportunities for D.C. residents to obtain the right firearms for their needs in Maryland and Virginia. It would also allow licensed dealers in D.C. to sell non-restricted ammunition.

Repeal Overly Restrictive Registration Requirement. Buying a firearm in D.C. can often take weeks and the registration fees can often cost as much as the gun itself. This bill would repeal the burdensome and very costly registration requirement and allows D.C. residents to exercise their right to bear arms without undue hindrance.

Ensure the Firearms May be Transported and Carried for Legitimate Purposes. This bill would allow a person to transport and carry firearms in prescribed manners for lawful purposes, while authorizing the D.C. City Council to implement regulations governing licensed carry and the prohibition of firearms in sensitive public places.

A little less than Eleanor Holmes Norton's proclamation...

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I'll move to DC. :D

Well you would be going on the word of Eleanor Holmes Norton and not the author of the bill.

Personally this bill would be a vast improvement. I would not have to screw around buying reduced 10 round mags and giving away the stock mags. I wanted to buy one of the $250 92Fs Cop Shop was selling. By the time I factored in transfer, ballistics, overnight shipping to DC, etc... it was over $500 for a well worn gun. I think in MD you guys pay in the $500 range for a new gun.

Also I could buy a handgun in MD/VA and not pay the $125 transfer.

Assault weapon repeal would make a difference. The AR/AK/M1A flavors are a standard in modern plinking at Myrtle Grove. Not for DC residents. I cannot even put a thumb hole stock on my 10/22 or it is an illegal assault weapon.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom