• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    DC Concealed Carry License FAQ

The purpose of this thread is to serve as a reference for those who are seeking information regarding a DC Concealed Carry License.

Disclaimer - I am not an attorney. While I have reason to believe this information is correct - it may not be. You, and only you, are responsible for knowing and complying with all applicable laws & regulations. This is a work in progress so please do not quote the OP.

Current Status:
    Administrative Stay
    The injunction prohibiting DC from enforcing their so called "Good & Substantial" licensing scheme (See Wrenn v. DC) has been temporarily set aside via Appeals Court Administrative Stay.

DC is still facing a contempt of court hearing on July 7, 2015 for their previous failure to comply with the injunction. Named plaintiffs have received their permits. Other applicants who have submitted their applications at least 90 days prior were being contacted to pick up their permits. Anyone who has not been contacted by June 12, may wish to contact DC’s Firearm Registration unit directly to inquire about their status.

Preferential Treatment: Due to the fact that Second Amendment Foundation members are listed plaintiffs in both the lawsuit and the injunction, they may be receiving preferential treatment. Because of this, and because of all the other pro 2A work SAF does, it is recommended that you join saf.org and include a copy of your temporary membership card in your DC CCL application. Annual memberships are currently $15 and Life Memberships $150. Join SAF here.

Application
    Click Here

Application Instructions:
    Click Here

Application Fees: $75 Application Fee, $35 Livescan Fee (paid by credit card while applying in person)
    Note: Application fee includes one DC handgun registration. Current thinking is to wait until you are approved to pick up you CCL to register your carry firearm in DC. Regardless, be sure to read the DC Firearm Registration FAQ or DC laws & regulations to ensure you comply with handgun roster permitted firearms, transport notification and magazine capacity rules or you risk criminal charges.

Resident/Non Resident: DC does not distinguish between resident & non-resident permits, however out-of-state applicants must currently have a permit from at least one other state.
    A non-resident applicant for a license may satisfy any component of the requirements of sub section (a)(4) and (5) of this section by demonstrating to the satisfaction of the Chief that the applicant has met that particular component as part of a successful applications to carry a concealed pistol Issued by the lawful authorities of any state or subdivision of the United States.”

Term: District of Columbia Concealed Carry Licenses are issued for a period of two years.

DC CCL Required Training
    · New permit - 16 Hours
    · Renewal - 8 Hours
    · Training Waiver - "An applicant who has already received firearms training may request a waiver from either the 16-hour training or the 2-hour training, or both. The applicant must provide supporting documentation with their waiver request. Please review the Instructions for Applying for a Concealed Carry License for additional information on the types of documentation required. However, all applicants must take the training on District law on firearms and self-defense; there are no waivers for this requirement."
    Source: http://mpdc.dc.gov/node/929382

Evidence In Support Of Training Waiver
    · Firearms training provided by the National Rifle Association
    · DD Form 214 if it shows special training for marksmanship
    · Retired law enforcement officer credentials
    · Hunting license (i.e.
    Texas Hunter Safety Online)
    · Armed special police officer license
    Source: Section 2336.3

Course of Fire Requirements: "In addition to the requirements of § 2336.1, a person shall complete at least two (2) hours of range training, including shooting a qualification course of fifty (50) rounds of ammunition from a maximum distance of fifteen (15) yards (forty-five (45) feet), and receiving a qualifying score of seventy percent (70%) as certified by the instructor."
    Source:
    Instructions for Submitting an Application for a Concealed Carry Firearms Training Instructor

Ammunition Carried By Licensee

Max Ammo: “2343.1 A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds of ammunition.”
    Source: http://www.dcregs.dc.gov/Notice/DownLoad.aspx?noticeid=5334241

"Large Capacity" Magazines: “No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.”
    Source: §7–2506.01

Restricted Pistol Bullets:
    · A projectile or projectile core which may be used in a pistol and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium;
    · A full jacketed projectile larger than 22 caliber designed and intended for use in a pistol and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25% of the total weight of the projectile; or
    · Ammunition for a .50 BMG rifle.

The term “restricted pistol bullet” does not include:
    · Shotgun shot required by federal or state environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes;
    · A frangible projectile designed for target shooting;
    · A projectile which the Attorney General of the United States finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes; or
    · Any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General of the United States finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.
    Source: §7-2501.01(13A)

Restricted Locations

· Any pre-school or child care facility,
    · Any public or private hospital, or other building where medical or mental health services are the primary services provided,
    · Any penal institution, secure juvenile residential facility, or halfway house
    · Any public transportation vehicle, including the Metrorail transit system, but not including taxicab operators
    · Any premises or portion thereof, licensed under Title 25 of the Distinct of Columbia Official Code, where alcoholic beverages are served, or are sold and consumed on premises, but not including premises With small-sample tasting permits Issued pursuant to D C Official Code § 25-118,
    · Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the Issuance of a permit from the District or federal government or their agencies or instrumentalities, provided, that no criminal penalty shall apply unless "(A) The licensee has been advised by a law enforcement officer that such a public gathering or special event IS occurring, and "(B) The licensee has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the special event or gathering until the licensee removes the pistol from his or her possession m compliance With applicable law and the licensee has not complied With the order,
    · Any stadium or arena,
    · The Naval Observatory?
    · The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any other area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency or entity,
    · The area around the White House, namely between Constitution Avenue, N W , and H Street, N W ,and between 15th Street, N W ,and 17'h Street, NW,
    · Within 1,000 feet, or other lesser distance designated by the Chief or his or her designee, when a dignitary or high-ranking official of the United States or a state, local, or foreign government IS moving under the protection of the MPD, or other law enforcement agency assisting or working m concert With MPD, provided, that no criminal penalty shall apply unless "(A) The licensee has been advised by a law enforcement officer that the movement of a dignitary or official IS occurring, and "(B) The licensee has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the movement until the licensee removes the pistol from his or her possession in compliance With applicable law and the licensee has not complied With the order,
    · Within 1,000 feet, or other lesser distance designated by the Chief his or her designee, of a demonstration m a public place, provided, that no criminal penalty shall apply unless "(A) The licensee has been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration is occurring at the public place, and (B) The licensee has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the demonstration until the licensee removes the pistol from his or her possession 10 compliance with applicable law and the licensee has not complied with the order, And
    · Any prohibited circumstance that the Chief determines by rule, provided, that for spontaneous circumstances, no criminal penalty shall apply unless the licensee has notice of the prohibition and has failed to comply
    · Any private residence shall be presumed to prohibit the presence of concealed pistols unless otherwise authorized by the property owner or person in control of the premises and communicated personally to the licensee in advance of entry onto the residential property

Requirement to Disclose: Yes
    If a law enforcement officer Initiates an investigative stop of a person carrying a concealed pistol pursuant to section 6 of the Pistols and Other Dangerous Weapons Act, the person, and any other licensee who is with the person at the time of the investigative stop, shall "(I) Disclose to the officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol pursuant to section 6 of the Pistols and Other Dangerous Weapons Act, (2) Present the license and registration certificate, "(3) Identify the location of the concealed pistol, and "(4) Comply with all lawful orders and directions from the officer, Including allowing a pat down of his or her person and permitting the law enforcement officer to take possession of the pistol for so long as is necessary for the safety of the officer or the public.”

Alcohol: Restaurants, hotels, etc. Prohibited?
    “Any premises or portion thereof, licensed under Title 25 of the Distinct of Columbia Official Code, where alcoholic beverages are served, or are sold and consumed on premises, but not including premises With small-sample tasting permits Issued pursuant to D C Official Code § 25-118”

List of Licensed Instructors: Click here

How to Become A Licensed Instructor: Click here

History & Enabling Legislation

· DC Code Chapter 45 Weapons and Possession of Weapons
    · Firearms Regulations Control Act of 1975 (D.C. Act 20-447)
    · Emergency Regulations (10/22/2014)
    · Emergency Regulations (1/20/2015)
    · Emergency & Proposed Rulemaking: Concealed Pistol License Review Board (1/21/2015)
    · NOTICE OF SECOND EMERGENCY AND PROPOSED RULEMAKING

Contact Information
    Firearms Registration Section 202-727-4275 Firearm Registration, Concealed Carry Licenses
    · Sgt. Colin Hall 202-727-9889 colin.hall@dc.gov
    · Officer Harper
    · Officer Mills
    · Mr. Agers

Security Officers Management Branch 202-671-0500 CCL Instructor, Security Guard & SPO Licensing
    SOMB.AdminBox@dc.gov
    2000 14th Street, Northwest
    Washington D.C. 20009

· Sgt Edward P. Gibson 202-671-0500 edward.gibson@dc.gov
    · Ofc. Gil V. Sanchez (Inst Coordinator) 202-671-0523 gilbert.sanchez@dc.gov

Applicable Case Law
    · Scherr ("Made up out of thin air", Invalidated by Heller & McDonald)
    · Snowden (Based on Scherr, Invalidated by Heller & McDonald)

Other Information
    DC Carry Facebook Group

Firearm Registration
    With limited exceptions (e.g. criminals, instructors), all firearms possessed in DC must be registered. You DC CCL application fee includes one "free" firearm registration. Lawful transport of a firearm into DC requires a thorough understanding of the current laws and regulations. For more info, see the DC Firearm Registration thread.

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!

Last edited:

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    · Any public or private hospital, or other building where medical or mental health services are the primary services provided,

Well that sucks! I can't carry from my car to my own office, because it's in a Medical Building???

Hell, I've had patients threaten me because their insurance company didn't pay...

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Well that sucks! I can't carry from my car to my own office, because it's in a Medical Building???
    If you're in MoCo, you already cannot transport the handgun for any purpose beyond those listed as specific exceptions to the prohibition. IOW, transporting your handgun for "legal concealed carry elsewhere" is not on the list of authorized reasons to transport a handgun in Maryland.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    If you're in MoCo, you already cannot transport the handgun for any purpose beyond those listed as specific exceptions to the prohibition. IOW, transporting your handgun for "legal concealed carry elsewhere" is not on the list of authorized reasons to transport a handgun in Maryland.

Yeah, but my MD permit allows me to travel to and from my "Place of Business and the Bank", MoCo or no MoCo...

The problem is I can't start in DC...

Even if I get a DC permit, I'm still screwed going to/from work...:mad54:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    This is a common misconception.

BGOS

Interstate transportation is permitted under F.O.P.A.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    This is a common misconception.

BGOS

Interstate transportation is permitted under F.O.P.A.

I work in DC. In a Medical Bldg, which is attached to a hospital. So, according to the DC laws, I cannot carry into my own office in the Medical Bldg.

The ironic thing is, there have been several car break-ins and purse snatchings in the parking lot, especially at night...

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There are a ton of conflicts and contradictions in DC law. I am not entirely sure you are correct.

Attorney at DC CCL class is well qualified to explain.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    FOPA is used as a defense. It's your decision to try and use it as a defense. in court

It's a Federal statute. It is not "accepted" by any state or DC.

FOPA is quoted on the MPDC web site as a guideline for transport.

VI. Transporting Firearms
    District transport law: § 22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.
    (a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm [see § 22-4504.01, above] to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.
    (b) (1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.
    (2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.
    (c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:
    (1) Unloaded;
    (2) Inside a locked container; and
    (3) Separate from any ammunition.
    Federal transport law:
    U.S. Code Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, 926a "Interstate Transportation of Firearms";
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/firearm-registration-general-requirements-study-guide

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    There are a ton of conflicts and contradictions in DC law. I am not entirely sure you are correct.

Attorney at DC CCL class is well qualified to explain.

Robert Levy?
    Stephen Halbrook?
    Patricia Millet?
    Atticus Finch?
    Dershowitz? (just kidding.)
    Ally McBeal?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Question- has anyone been able to get the training requirement waived by way of training accepted for another state's ccw?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC accepts NRA firearms training. They don't specifically deny or accept other state's training. You could call them.

 If you are requesting an exemption to the firearms training course requirements, Section 2336.3 of
    the regulations requires you to provide supporting documentation, such as:

 Firearms training provided by the National Rifle Association
     DD Form 214 if it shows special training for marksmanship
     Retired law enforcement officer credentials
     Hunting license
     Armed special police officer license
    DC traing has a live fire component. There is nothing written specifically, but perhaps it would be accepted if you had a live fire component as part of your state CCW training. I would imagine UT might not be accepted since it does not require live fire. But just speculation on my part.

Let us know what they tell you if you call them.

The DC course of fire is 50 rounds at 45 feet with a passing score of 70.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    DC accepts NRA firearms training. They don't specifically deny or accept other state's training. You could call them.
    Have you seen anywhere that DC differentiates between any kind of NRA training? For example basic pistol vs basic shotgun vs an instructor course?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

DC traing has a live fire component. There is nothing written specifically, but perhaps it would be accepted if you had a live fire component as part of your state CCW training. I would imagine UT might not be accepted since it does not require live fire. But just speculation on my part.

Let us know what they tell you if you call them.

The DC course of fire is 50 rounds at 45 feet with a passing score of 70.

I'm not applying yet. I was curious because like most of the DC law, is rather vague and leaves it up to the chief as to what qualifies and what doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom