Attachments

• 88CB82DB-1F00-4159-9CA0-6022AE9086A0.jpeg
      88CB82DB-1F00-4159-9CA0-6022AE9086A0.jpeg
      57.1 KB · Views: 396

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice mount!

So I am moving in a few weeks. Same neighborhood, but I am moving up in size to 5 acres. There’s of deer LOVE to move through there all the time. Part of the property has the 150yd requirement (come on HoCo, change bow to 50 please!!!)

New next door neighbor I am already friends with. His text was basically “just heard. Congratulations! So many deer to bow hunt!!!”

He doesn’t personally hunt. I think I am going to have no difficulty getting his permission to be within the 150yds or retrieve anything if it runs on his property :-)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Nice mount!

So I am moving in a few weeks. Same neighborhood, but I am moving up in size to 5 acres. There’s of deer LOVE to move through there all the time. Part of the property has the 150yd requirement (come on HoCo, change bow to 50 please!!!)

New next door neighbor I am already friends with. His text was basically “just heard. Congratulations! So many deer to bow hunt!!!”

He doesn’t personally hunt. I think I am going to have no difficulty getting his permission to be within the 150yds or retrieve anything if it runs on his property :-)
    good! well you "didnt" shoot it too close it just ran after you shot it...thats my story:);)

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I hate it when deer run off. I'm color blind and can't see blood trails unless there's snow on the ground. Buddy of mine was w/ me and was like OMG.. i knew there would be blood but not this much! I couldn't see a thing. He helped me follow it. 300win mag at 250y and ran a good 100yards. I've only shot about 30 deer in my time but also only had 3 drop on the spot. One of them was 3 hours earlier with the same ammo and same gun @ 109 yards.

Other than shooting in the head/spine, does anyone have a tip for preventing them from running? Kinda want to avoid blowing out both front legs too.. but i guess that would probably do it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I hate it when deer run off. I'm color blind and can't see blood trails unless there's snow on the ground. Buddy of mine was w/ me and was like OMG.. i knew there would be blood but not this much! I couldn't see a thing. He helped me follow it. 300win mag at 250y and ran a good 100yards. I've only shot about 30 deer in my time but also only had 3 drop on the spot. One of them was 3 hours earlier with the same ammo and same gun @ 109 yards.

Other than shooting in the head/spine, does anyone have a tip for preventing them from running? Kinda want to avoid blowing out both front legs too.. but i guess that would probably do it.

I always blow out the front legs if I'm concerned about running....they snow plow and you have time for a follow up shot if need be. As you said, you could spine shoot them, head shoot and neck. I've seen some bad stuff from people trying to head shoot and blowing the lower jaw off.

Ironically, I think I've only had a handful of deer die out of sight with a rifle/muzzleloader (and most of them are with muzzle loader) and I've shoot them with .243s up to .308 and 12/20 gauge shotguns. Maybe I'm just lucky or I don't shoot a 300WM that moves as fast. Wondering if the bullet is moving so fast it doesn't want to expand as quickly?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I always blow out the front legs if I'm concerned about running....they snow plow and you have time for a follow up shot if need be. As you said, you could spine shoot them, head shoot and neck. I've seen some bad stuff from people trying to head shoot and blowing the lower jaw off.

Ironically, I think I've only had a handful of deer die out of sight with a rifle/muzzleloader (and most of them are with muzzle loader) and I've shoot them with .243s up to .308 and 12/20 gauge shotguns. Maybe I'm just lucky or I don't shoot a 300WM that moves as fast. Wondering if the bullet is moving so fast it doesn't want to expand as quickly?

high heart shot where all the veins are also drops them. I hit a buck @165yds and dropped in its tracks. also a tenderloin shot will drop them:sad20: ask me how i know...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is my preferred bullet placement...or just a little forward of that. No tracking needed.

Attachments

• highshoulder.jpg
      highshoulder.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 159

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is a misconception.

The faster a bullet is moving,the faster it disrupts and expands.Just physics really.

To expand(parden the pun) on that, hunting bullets are designed with a particular 'behavior' in mind. Mainly speaking, you want a bullet that will deposit as much kinetic energy within the body cavity of your chosen species as possible. That behavior is controlled by construction and velocity. Too fast, and the bullet may fly apart before reaching its target. Too slow, and it won't expand properly and cause the desired internal damage required to achieve a quick and humane kill.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To expand(parden the pun) on that, hunting bullets are designed with a particular 'behavior' in mind. Mainly speaking, you want a bullet that will deposit as much kinetic energy within the body cavity of your chosen species as possible. That behavior is controlled by construction and velocity. Too fast, and the bullet may fly apart before reaching its target. Too slow, and it won't expand properly and cause the desired internal damage required to achieve a quick and humane kill.

And most have a range at which that works, or at least is optimal. Typically for a rifle bullet between about 1900 and 3000fps. Some designs will handle faster, but often not by much for big animals. Some will handle slower, but again often not by much. There is rarely a design that will handle both slower and faster.

If the bullet “fails”, it is likely that it expanded too rapidly and fragmented at a shallow depth, failing to penetrate deep enough to incapacitate or be (quickly) mortal. I’ve heard and seen instances where the round cratered a few inches breaking ribs and bruising a lung.

Example, my buddy shot a good sized doe at point blank range, like 10yds and his SP .308 “missed it” and it ran off. He hit it on his second shot at about 40yds and it dropped. Two entrance wounds, one high on the ribs cratering and breaking several ribs. The second shot entered lower right through the heart and out the other side.

Pretty easy guess which was which (Winchester power point 150gr BTW).

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    This is my preferred bullet placement...or just a little forward of that. No tracking needed.

i like right above the front elbow. Ive capped a few animals that just dropped in their tracks. Also if you sever the artery that runs by the tenderloins, it drops also but you lose the tenderloins...ask me how I know....:sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Moved in to the new place. First morning saw two yearling does walk by my bedroom window outside my backyard fence (well within my property lines) at about 25yds away.

The day before closing moving some stuff in I startled three does (sellers told us to start moving stuff the week before closing because they were out and wanted to make it easier on us).

Tonight at about 5 I was running back to my other house to get some masonry bits and bumped SEVEN does ranging in age from yearling up to looked to be at least 3-4yrs in the trees from my front yard trees about 20yds from my van.

Wife is anxious to get deer fencing up for her garden ASAP so she can put plants in the ground.

I am looking forward to fall.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Moved in to the new place. First morning saw two yearling does walk by my bedroom window outside my backyard fence (well within my property lines) at about 25yds away.

The day before closing moving some stuff in I startled three does (sellers told us to start moving stuff the week before closing because they were out and wanted to make it easier on us).

Tonight at about 5 I was running back to my other house to get some masonry bits and bumped SEVEN does ranging in age from yearling up to looked to be at least 3-4yrs in the trees from my front yard trees about 20yds from my van.

Wife is anxious to get deer fencing up for her garden ASAP so she can put plants in the ground.

Your wife will be suprised at how high deer can jump

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Sounds like you won't have far to go to fill your freezer. And I'll echo Mark, I've seen deer clear a 6' fence. Good luck keeping them away from your wife's plants.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Congrats man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom