• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, this story is going in the direction I like.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    The info from registration is usually incorrect if not at least humorously ignorant. I am glad she is exposing this.

A few gems from DC (I spend a lot of time at registration):
    There is a Federal 10 day waiting period for all firearms

You cannot remove a registered firearm from your house for ANY reason. My obvious question, “How do I get it home from registration or go to the range?” DC – “That is not our problem.”

You can be locked up under DC law for using a C&R license to purchase an eligible firearm out of state. Apparently DC law supersedes Federal law.

‘You cannot register a firearm with a bayonet.’

Their “gun experts” could not identify a 1911.

Glocks cannot shoot .357 Sig because they are GLOCKs not Sigs, DUH! A GLOCK 33 shoots .357, like a .357 revolver. (this was after they just ballistic tested some guy’s brand new Glock 33) :eek:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The people at firearms examination and registration are completely separate from one another. Examination sees 25 different guns a day, they know what they are doing and are pretty good.

I can't really comment to much in here for career sake but hopefully training is in order. Although I doubt it, we just spent an astronomical amount of money on a new computer system and ALL officers are being retrained in that.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what do you expect from a city that makes it illegal to ENTER an intersection on a YELLOW light? i actually got a ticket for that way back when. nothing surprises me there.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    pretty good article covering what the more or less "official" police stance is vs what the writer of the law says it means.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The people at firearms examination and registration are completely separate from one another. Examination sees 25 different guns a day, they know what they are doing and are pretty good.

That ID guy must not have been working. The ID guys downstairs could not identify an M1911. I am not even talking the difference between a M1911 and a M1911A1. I mean they could not identify it because it did not say 1911 on the slide. This ignores the fact the slide is irrelevant to the frame which is the legally registered part of the gun.

DC policy seems to be to employ people without relevant training at registration and consequently do not know the law. It is the penalty box for cops that do not want to be there. They obviously have fear they will make a mistake because they do not know the law so they err on the side of caution by inventing new laws. This has happened many times to me. I am glad it has been documented and publicized. If the applicant does not take the initiative to learn the law themselves they will be misinformed. The best way to stay legal is ignore the advice from registration. It is telling that the Lt. in charge of registration will not even answer clarifications from citizens. Even he does not know the difference between a detachable magazine and a fixed-magazine. Seriously.:sad20:

I cannot remember how many times the registration officers have held guns at my face (finger on the trigger) while returning them. There is a serious training issue if the people in charge can break ALL 4 safety rules at once.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    You would be surprised the sanitizing effect daylight exposure has on make-believe policies ;)

Right on.:thumbsup:

I have been fighting DC face to face for years. Now that their policies have been brought to public light miracuously things are changing.

From this lesson I learned, the governement does not care if what they do is wrong or illegal. They worry if they will be exposed for doing things that are wrong or illegal.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda

Attachments

• Hope.jpg
      Hope.jpg
      19.9 KB · Views: 218

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Great article, thanks for posting it. I have been given similar wrong info from MSP. In their defense, our laws here are just as confusing, and they are not lawyers. That's why I keep copies of the transport laws, the loaded mag law, and such in my range bag whenever I go to the range.

MH

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    She should have mentioned that as soon as she crosses the D.C./VA border, she can pull over a strap the gun to her hip with no legal repercussions whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom