• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earthprime

Nov 7, 2014
    MD
    I'm interested in Bump Fire stocks and am considering purchasing one for my M&P15-22 and AR-15. Does anyone own one and can give their review? Videos I've seen show the technique working well for the 15-22 with barrel mods, but the weapon seems almost uncontrollable with AR-15s. It seems that you wouldn't use this with an AR that you want to keep, as you run the risk of melting the barrel or breaking the inner components. Thoughts?

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    I'm getting ready to build a dedicated bump fire AR. I shot one and it was every bit as controllable as an AR 5.56 in full auto. Lean into it, expect some muzzle rise. Short to medium bursts are very manageable and fun, say in bursts of 3-8 rounds. Full mag dumps are possible with some concentrated effort but you won't be shooting MOA with a 20-30 round mag dump.

This was my limited experience with one, however I feel with practice I could certainly do better.

Never got a chance to use it on a rimfire but I'd bet it would be very well controlled.

BTW check out the "bumpski" for a nice albeit expensive aluminum version for an AR/AK.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I have one that i bought for my ar15. Works great. Extremely controlable. I did a 100round mag dump on my old barrel and im pretty sure it is ruined. But all of the other components are fine

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Take a look at the M&P 15-22 forum. For best results you will need to add a reverse muzzle break and a light quality trigger. You are looking at $500+ in parts between the stock, trigger and muzzle break.

For that money I would buy another toy - I bought my son a H&K MP7 Gas Blowback Airsoft Gun. It is gas blowback so it has the look, weight and feel of the real thing and is cheaper to shoot.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Airsoft-KWA-MP7-Gun-p/95005.htm

RP

I've had my Saiga .308 "Bumpskied" for over a year now. If you don't reload, it can get expensive. As far as control, it's like firing an M14 full auto. If you don't know how to control it, you're just wasting ammo. Some ranges don't allow bump firing, so check with your club's rules before you get chased off the property. It's fun as hell otherwise.

earthprime

Nov 7, 2014
    MD
    Is there a difference between the 'Bump Fire' and 'Slide Fire' brands? Perception is everything - Bump Fire looks like a fly-by-night setup, though both brands may have the exact same quality for the AR platform.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Why not save a few hundred bucks and learn how to bump from the shoulder with a standard stock/rifle?

I know, it's not an easy method to master - but it's definitely cheaper, and once you've gotten it down, it's just as fast.

May 13, 2005
    Why not save a few hundred bucks and learn how to bump from the shoulder with a standard stock/rifle?

I know, it's not an easy method to master - but it's definitely cheaper, and once you've gotten it down, it's just as fast.

As well as from a bipod, like on an RPK. No special stock is needed, just get the technique down and it's not difficult.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm interested in Bump Fire stocks and am considering purchasing one for my M&P15-22 and AR-15. Does anyone own one and can give their review? Videos I've seen show the technique working well for the 15-22 with barrel mods, but the weapon seems almost uncontrollable with AR-15s. It seems that you wouldn't use this with an AR that you want to keep, as you run the risk of melting the barrel or breaking the inner components. Thoughts?

I have shot several, several times. AR15s are controllable. A lot depends on how good you are. I have MGs, so I can handle fast fire and control muzzle climbs...etc. I was shooting 30rd mags in 3-5rd bursts at 100 yards and keeping them all in the berm with little trouble. I shoot at the AGC where this is required. Its not a problem for me. Others tend to drop a shot low or high every so often. However its very doable if you have the ability. I would not worry about melting the barrel. The M16 uses the same barrel and you can watch people dumb 100rd CMags in them without melting it. Yeah your barrel will get pretty hot and will wear faster... but no need to dumb 100rds at one time either. Heavy barrels will help to, the pencil barrels do get hot a bit quick. However look up the melting temp for steel... I don't know you need to worry about getting your barrel 1000+ degrees. All internals cycle much faster on M16s with about the same level of breakage as semi autos. That is non-factor.

... I shot one and it was every bit as controllable as an AR 5.56 in full auto.

Na... not really. I agree with the rest but sorry, no where near as controllable as a FA M16. That said, its good enough for most uses. I have fired a M16 and a Bump stock at the same time and you notice a considerable difference if you know what you are doing.

Isn't the stock recoil dependent? If so, is a 15-22 (I have one as well) going to cut it?

The stock is not recoil dependent. It slides either way. However if you don't get enough recoil the gun will not push back enough to reset the trigger. You could counter by pulling forward lighter on the hand guard. However 22LR is fairly light round. So finding this sweet spot of the correct amount of forward pull to keep the system cycling may be hard. I have not tried it in 22LR.

The stocks have gotten pretty cheap. The stock will provide much better results and accuracy. I have done plenty of both and the stocks are worth the money.

Put my bump stock on a over the counter AR work flawlessly. just need to get use to the fact you need to keep pulling back with your forward hand

No its pushing forward with your forward hand. The recoil pushes the system back and should allow the trigger to reset. You apply the forward pressure to pull the receiver forward and push the trigger into your finger again, which then fires it again. You basically become a return spring on the system.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Yes, was one of the last purchases before the ban hammer, paid less than $700 shipped for it ... just bought a Chiappa .22lr upper for it but did not have a chance to test it yet

Diamonddoug

Feb 2, 2013
    Jackson County TN
    "No its pushing forward with your forward hand. The recoil pushes the system back and should allow the trigger to reset. You apply the forward pressure to pull the receiver forward and push the trigger into your finger again, which then fires it again. You basically become a return spring on the system."

Sorry You are correct got my tongue wrapped around my eye tooth and I couldn't see what I was saying

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom