• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    I am currently a MD resident and serving in the military, I read something a while back that said there are no changes for currently serving military members. Is it true that I don't need a HQL if still serving and can get rifles on the ban list? I saw somewhere, and I cant remember where, that current law enforcement and military are exempt from the current ban.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Here is a link to the MDSP web site with info on the HQL:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License

A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the exemption to purchasing banned firearms applies to LEOs only if they purchased the banned gun to be used for official purposes before retirement. I gave the document a quick look over, and I do not see a similar exemption for members of the military.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/chapters_noln/Ch_427_sb0281E.pdf

Pages 11-16 appear to be where exceptions to the ban are discussed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am currently a MD resident and serving in the military, I read something a while back that said there are no changes for currently serving military members. Is it true that I don't need a HQL if still serving and can get rifles on the ban list? I saw somewhere, and I cant remember where, that current law enforcement and military are exempt from the current ban.

If you have a CAC or any other Military issued ID, you do not need an HQL.

The "banned" list is exactly that, and applies to everyone unless they are a LEO purchasing for their job, or military, purchasing for their job. That being said, I have yet to see the military require or authorize anyone to purchase their own forearm for their MOS.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013

You don't need an HQL, just show your CAC.

You can buy banned-in-MD rifles outside MD if and only if you maintain your state residency outside of MD. If you've made MD your official state of residence, you're screwed.

If you maintained residency in another state, you would buy them as a resident of your home state instead of your duty state (BATF guidance expressly allows military members to purchase as either). The catch is, MD's ban still applies within the borders of MD, so you can't bring newly-purchased banned rifles into MD.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick

Why? In regards to first sentence. If you are ever stationed in a State like Florida, change your legal residency. Avoid all those extra MD taxes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom