$1060 for CMP IHC Garand, is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I snailmailed an order in for one of these and received the DBU email, but they need me to resubmit one of the forms notorized before proceeding.

What's the consensus? Is this a fair price for a SG IHC Garand?

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I snailmailed an order in for one of these and received the DBU email, but they need me to resubmit one of the forms notorized before proceeding.

What's the consensus? Is this a fair price for a SG IHC Garand?

If its original, very fair. If its a IHC receiver, a springfield barrel, winchester trigger group, etc i think not so much. When i first began “accumulating” i found an IHC gap letter rifle. I paid 1k, and then realized it had a springfield barrel ( the rifle was listed in scott duff’s book with a lmr barrel, that my seller changed...gomfigure. Maybe he just considered it a shooter and wanted to replace the lmr) . Replaced the stock too but at least it was a beautifully figured early springfield with the GHC stamp. That may have been worth $400. There are some great books on garands. Canfield’s new book is available, duff has several. GCA has a journal ( just received the winter 17 issue today.). For values, review the on line sellers to find similar. Simpsons, for example. Checkpoint charlies. Same thing could be said for winchester receivers with unmatched parts. Good luck. They are really nice rifles.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Thanks for the responses.
    Orlando, in the past IHC and Winchesters thru CMP sold out long before my snail mail order would have been in the running. While I would like to have one for my modest collection, it wasn't a need in my life.
    I thought my last order qualified me for another order without the notary requirement, but according to CMP that ship sailed this past Jan., so before completing the purchase thought I would see what the consensus was with regards to price.
    Apparently the recent influx of garands and limit of 1 per year purchase on IHC's has killed the urgency on submitting an order?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Go look on the open market and see if you could buy one for anything near that price. I have not paid close attention to makers or if they are mix masters but when I see a Garand I'll look at the hang tag and the ones I see are higher than that unless it is a real beater.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I just sent in my CMP app today for a Springfield for $730. I was considering the IHC but this forum talked me out of it. I love IHCs but for that money I’d want to see how much IHC parts it has.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I just sent in my CMP app today for a Springfield for $730. I was considering the IHC but this forum talked me out of it. I love IHCs but for that money I’d want to see how much IHC parts it has.

CMP says up front it only guarantees a IHC receiver for $1060
    I have one each - Springfield, Winchester and H&R, the H&R the only one being close to correct

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Got a mix master with a Winchester trigger group and a new 65 barrel for around 900 last fall. New walnut stock from cmp and I've seen the same configuration going for 12-14 hundred. Just getting into the rife but I feel the deal was worth it. Bunch of the other stuff was SA.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    CMP says up front it only guarantees a IHC receiver for $1060
    I have one each - Springfield, Winchester and H&R, the H&R the only one being close to correct

a mixmaster with just a IHC receiver om the open market is a $1200 plus Garand

Since you have 3 of the 4 main manufacturers and you can pickup an IHC for $1060, you should get it. Unless, of course, you need that money for a new washer/dryer.

I would think that even a mixmaster collection of the 4 manufacturers would be worth more than the individual rifles.

Just my 2 cents. I'm in no way a Garand expert.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I just sold some bump stocks on GunRaper for stupid money so I may put that toward an IHC.

I already got a really nice LEAD rebuild IHC with LMR barrel from CMP a few years ago, doubt I’ll get that lucky again. Has a ton of IHC parts.

ETA: I just ordered a Springfield from them, is there a limit on the number of rifles you can order in a year?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I just sold some bump stocks on GunRaper for stupid money so I may put that toward an IHC.

I already got a really nice LEAD rebuild IHC with LMR barrel from CMP a few years ago, doubt I’ll get that lucky again. Has a ton of IHC parts.

ETA: I just ordered a Springfield from them, is there a limit on the number of rifles you can order in a year?

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/sales-faq/
    Q? How many M1 rifles may I purchase per year?
    A. Purchase of M1 Garand rifles is limited to eight (8) per customer per calendar year - regardless of grades purchased. Any serial numbered item concerning M1 Garands counts towards your 8 M1 Garand limit per calendar year.

The CMP occasionally also conducts other special sales programs as assets become available. These special sales and purchases through the CMP auction site do not count against the above.

There is a limit on IHC manufacturer of one per year. You could order one IHC and seven others.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Since you have 3 of the 4 main manufacturers and you can pickup an IHC for $1060, you should get it. Unless, of course, you need that money for a new washer/dryer.

I would think that even a mixmaster collection of the 4 manufacturers would be worth more than the individual rifles.

Just my 2 cents. I'm in no way a Garand expert.

I gotta find a notary, most offices I've worked at have a couple, this one not so much.
    I do want to complete the set so to speak and after reviewing GB sold IHC's this weekend think it'll be worth more than $1060 in the short term and hopefully will keep going up.
    I don't think having all four will make them more valuable as a set to 95% of buyers, just the opposite, they'll want a bundled price.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I gotta find a notary, most offices I've worked at have a couple, this one not so much.
    I do want to complete the set so to speak and after reviewing GB sold IHC's this weekend think it'll be worth more than $1060 in the short term and hopefully will keep going up.
    I don't think having all four will make them more valuable as a set to 95% of buyers, just the opposite, they'll want a bundled price.

Im willing to Pony up 2250.00 for all 4 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom