• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Please don't rechamber. Try RST, they specialize in 2 1/2" shells for vintage guns. www.rstshells.com

That's kind'a the way I'm thinking anyway. One of the people who suggested measuring the chambers before assuming they aren't re-bored is Scott from Scotts Gun Smithing. But then he also suggested a rechamber if they aren't.

The RST shells look quite a bit cheaper than the Kent Shells which Cabela's supposedly has for around $16 a box. 10 or so boxes of vintage-compatible (short) shells would likely be a couple years or more of shooting as I don't expect to shoot it very much and it may well cost $10 - $12 or more a box even for 2-3/4" shells. One thing I would like to find is a box or 2 of #5 in 1 oz or even better yet, 1-1/8 oz 2-1/2" shells. That would tempt me to take the thing Pheasant hunting over dogs:)

Edited:
    A cursory look around tells me these RST shells are cheaper than most 16 2-3/4 shells around anyway. I can shoot a flat or so then get a cheap reloader to reload the hulls. Might even tempt me to buy a vintage shotgun sometime down the road in 16 ga since that's the classic European gauge anyway.

smoothebore

RST is a great bunch of people. They are double gun folks themselves. They go to all the vintage gun shoots around the country, and are highly reccomended by various groups eg: Parker Gun Collectors, LC Smith Collectors, AH Fox Collectors, German Gun Collectors, etc. They make very good shells in 2 1/2", low recoil, target loads, hunting loads, you name it. You will be very satisfied to give them a try.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    RST is a great bunch of people. They are double gun folks themselves. They go to all the vintage gun shoots around the country, and are highly reccomended by various groups eg: Parker Gun Collectors, LC Smith Collectors, AH Fox Collectors, German Gun Collectors, etc. They make very good shells in 2 1/2", low recoil, target loads, hunting loads, you name it. You will be very satisfied to give them a try.

Did you go to any of the Vintager shoots they held at Pintail Point? Seemed like everytime they had one, something prevented me from being there. But, that would have been shotgun heaven for me!

smoothebore

Yeah, I'm a life member of the Parker Gun Collectors Association. I do miss the Vintager's being held at Pintail Point. I live on the Eastern Shore about an hour drive from there. The PGCA always had a large tent with displays, sales, etc. They also held their annual meeting and banquet at the Elk's Lodge in Easton at the same time. It was a great shooting venue to get together with old friends from many parts of the country, and meet new ones.
    This fall the Vintager's is in New York.
    http://www.vintagers.org/

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I went the last year at Pintail on the Fri, it was pouring rain, river running thru the display tents in the parking lot, really pissed I could not shoot,did enjoy looking at all the displays and guns for sale. LC Smith Collectors had a fantastic display of 8 gauge or 10 gauge guns, most in wonderful condition.
    Maybe we need a MD Shooters vintage SxS shoot.

smoothebore

It seems like the weather at Pintail was rarely just right. I was sitting in the corner of the Parker tent during that deluge. I didn't get to shoot either. I remember one year it was a dust bowl. The winds blew the dirt out of the corn fields like a cloud. My red car was brown when I left. I second a Md Shooters SxS event.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I went the last year at Pintail on the Fri, it was pouring rain, river running thru the display tents in the parking lot, really pissed I could not shoot,did enjoy looking at all the displays and guns for sale. LC Smith Collectors had a fantastic display of 8 gauge or 10 gauge guns, most in wonderful condition.
    Maybe we need a MD Shooters vintage SxS shoot.

It seems like the weather at Pintail was rarely just right. I was sitting in the corner of the Parker tent during that deluge. I didn't get to shoot either. I remember one year it was a dust bowl. The winds blew the dirt out of the corn fields like a cloud. My red car was brown when I left. I second a Md Shooters SxS event.

I'm just getting past having a second shoulder surgery (right shoulder last year, left about 4 months ago). Just about ready to start shooting again and an MDS vintage shoot sounds cool to me! I third a MDS Vintage shoot. I could shoot my old Parker or my new (to me) Drilling, lol. Hell, just make it a just any sxs and I can bring 3 or 4 others as well. If I ever getting around to having my Damascus Lincoln Jefferies looked at and evaluated (and presuming it is deemed 'safe' to shoot) I'd love to shoot that as well.

Speaking of SxS's, you guys ever go the gun show in Easton (during the Waterfowl Festival)?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'm just getting past having a second shoulder surgery (right shoulder last year, left about 4 months ago). Just about ready to start shooting again and an MDS vintage shoot sounds cool to me! I third a MDS Vintage shoot. I could shoot my old Parker or my new (to me) Drilling, lol. Hell, just make it a just any sxs and I can bring 3 or 4 others as well. If I ever getting around to having my Damascus Lincoln Jefferies looked at and evaluated (and presuming it is deemed 'safe' to shoot) I'd love to shoot that as well.

Speaking of SxS's, you guys ever go the gun show in Easton (during the Waterfowl Festival)?

Never been but have always wanted to, maybe this year. It will be awhile before I can shoot, just had my left shoulder done today but as soon as I can will post in the shotgun section to see if we can set something up.
    I should have something new to shoot, my gunsmith called yesterday and he is close to done with my 1920's AH Fox XE restoration, I think he is down to fitting the recoil pad which will be a leather faced Silvers pad, can't wait,it's been a long process, the guy is a perfectionist.

Attachments

• DSCN0272.jpg
      DSCN0272.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 276

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Never been but have always wanted to, maybe this year. It will be awhile before I can shoot, just had my left shoulder done today but as soon as I can will post in the shotgun section to see if we can set something up.
    I should have something new to shoot, my gunsmith called yesterday and he is close to done with my 1920's AH Fox XE restoration, I think he is down to fitting the recoil pad which will be a leather faced Silvers pad, can't wait,it's been a long process, the guy is a perfectionist.

Beautiful, beautiful gun, Augie! I love that stuff.

Did you have rotator cuff repair or something else?

You would probably love the Easton show. Small show, but usually a good number of doubles and/or other collectables. The waterfowl festival itself is a pretty decent even as well. Probably 1/2 or more of the guys there are collectors rather than dealers.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Beautiful, beautiful gun, Augie! I love that stuff.

Did you have rotator cuff repair or something else?

You would probably love the Easton show. Small show, but usually a good number of doubles and/or other collectables. The waterfowl festival itself is a pretty decent even as well. Probably 1/2 or more of the guys there are collectors rather than dealers.

Biceps reattached, large bone spur removed,rotator cuff cleaned up but luckily not torn.
    I love the old guns also,milsurps and vintage American sporting arms,lots of history in both.
    The XE was a very lucky find,walked into the local trap club for a winter league shoot and it was sitting on the for sale table, ripped my jacket getting the check book out.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Biceps reattached, large bone spur removed,rotator cuff cleaned up but luckily not torn.

I love the old guns also,milsurps and vintage American sporting arms,lots of history in both.

The XE was a very lucky find,walked into the local trap club for a winter league shoot and it was sitting on the for sale table, ripped my jacket getting the check book out.

Jeez, it sounds like you need to save your shoulder by selling me your M1891 cavalry carbine :D

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Nice! That one has a Swiss cartouche on the stock, I think the other unissued beech ones we've seen did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom