• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Cool! I get overwhelmed when looking for 1911 parts on there and get frustrated.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I just picked mine up from my FFL this afternoon. Serial number 933XXX. It also carries RIA and FK stamps on the frame.

Frame: Remington Rand, from 1942

Slide and barrel: Colt

Overall condition is decent, with a couple nicks on the barrel crown. The pistol is dry. I'll give it a good cleaning, then lube. After that, I'll have to see how it shoots this week at AAF&G.

JoeR

Last edited:

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I just picked mine up from my FFL this afternoon. Serial number 999XXX.

Frame: Remington Rand, from 1942 or more likely 1943 given the late number in the serial number series.

Slide and barrel: Colt

Overall condition is decent, with a couple nicks on the barrel crown. The pistol is dry. I'll give it a good cleaning, then lube. After that, I'll have to see how it shoots this week at AAF&G.

JoeR
    Pics?

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    ...ask and ye shall receive.

ETA: I just looked up the FK marking on the frame. Frank Krack was the Assistant Foreman of the Inspection Division of RIA until his retirement in July, 1946. With that info, I assume the pistol was re-arsenaled at RIA immediately after the war and then put into storage. I plan on doing a FOIA request to see if I can get any more information about it.

20220511_155912[1]_1911_left_sm.jpg 20220511_155831[1]_1911_right_sm.jpg

Last edited:

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Finaly got the call on Monday from CMP and picked it up on Friday afternoon. My # was 31461. Rack and Field were the only two available so I chose Field. I got a 1944 Remington Rand 19449xx in great condition. P marks where they should be, FJA on left frame. Barrel has an 86 on apart from the serial number, assuming thats 1986? Also has M and P stamped on it. Trigger guard has some numbers I cant find answers to yet. Right side has a 1 and a 7 Left side has what looks maybe like the flaming bomb but that doesnt make sense. Still researching stuff. Very Happy with it.
    IMG_9516 copy.jpg

IMG_9532 copy.jpg

IMG_9533 copy.jpg

IMG_9529 copy.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Finaly got the call on Monday from CMP and picked it up on Friday afternoon. My # was 31461. Rack and Field were the only two available so I chose Field. I got a 1944 Remington Rand 19449xx in great condition. P marks where they should be, FJA on left frame. Barrel has an 86 on apart from the serial number, assuming thats 1986? Also has M and P stamped on it. Trigger guard has some numbers I cant find answers to yet. Right side has a 1 and a 7 Left side has what looks maybe like the flaming bomb but that doesnt make sense. Still researching stuff. Very Happy with it.
    View attachment 370334
    View attachment 370333
    View attachment 370335
    View attachment 370336
    Looks like a drawing number on top of the barrel, so that’s a postwar replacement. I think the 86 would be the date. The P is for proof firing and the M is for magnaflux particle inspection.

lisa788

Jan 13, 2019
    Picked up this beauty today! I was given a choice of all 3 grades and went with Field grade. My RGN was 30,771. Got the call from CMP on 29 April and apparently it was shipped to my FFL on 3 May....The FFL didn't tell me it arrived until 22 June....Since I didn't have any tracking info, I assumed CMP was processing it. Not sure what happened during that 2 month gap...maybe the FFL forgot to tell me they received it.

Attachments

• 20220630_160719.jpg
      20220630_160719.jpg
      319.9 KB · Views: 89

lisa788

Jan 13, 2019
    Looks like she was manufactured in 1944, Remington Rand frame and Colt slide. I can barely make out the FJA initials and Ordinance wheel stamp.
    20220630_160808.jpg

20220630_160800.jpg

lisa788

Jan 13, 2019
    The sight seems to be pretty far to the right. Are these sighted-in or test fired by CMP before they ship it?

Sorry for the multiple posts, need to get my post count up for Watercooler access. These are rookie post numbers!

20220630_161050.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think the CMP only test fires for function at least for M1's. So you need to plan a range trip for sighting in, you would anyway because very few people shoot to the same zero. My guess would be that rear sight got bumped at some time in storage and handling.

Take a brass drift with you and remember move the rear sight in the same direction as you want to move the impact on the target.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The sight seems to be pretty far to the right. Are these sighted-in or test fired by CMP before they ship it?

Sorry for the multiple posts, need to get my post count up for Watercooler access. These are rookie post numbers!

View attachment 371081
    Mine was also drifted way over, and the original witness mark on the slide indicated it was meant to be that way.

When I shot it, it was way off, and I had to drift the rear sight centered to make it shoot centered.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Darn, but those pistoles are beautiful.
    I have a Springfield 1911 made in ‘17, and need to mate it to a ‘43 or ‘44 Remington A1. Maybe they’ll have babies.
    I tend to think the extra change might be worth it to buy one of the ones on the auction site?
    I’ve mentioned that here before, but am always interested on your thoughts?

lisa788

Jan 13, 2019
    That's good to know @Blacksmith101 and @ken792, thanks.

Darn, but those pistoles are beautiful.
    I have a Springfield 1911 made in ‘17, and need to mate it to a ‘43 or ‘44 Remington A1. Maybe they’ll have babies.
    I tend to think the extra change might be worth it to buy one of the ones on the auction site?
    I’ve mentioned that here before, but am always interested on your thoughts?

Not sure how often they show up on the CMP auction site, but I imagine it'll be easier to find the specific model you're looking for on GunBroker.

Jul 1, 2012
    Just casual perusal of the CMP auction sites, and the prices are typically, well, quite high for what you get.
    It depends on your goals though, whether you want a 100% original collector piece or just a nice shooter with some "history" to it - or maybe something in between. In the long run working with a trustworthy dealer is usually the best bet for a collector condition pistol and you're better off spending the extra coin there then at an auction. Auction houses (RIA, etc) are a crap-shoot and usually have no inspection period and/or returns. Most reputable sellers on Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Guns International, etc do offer inspection periods, as do pretty much any decent dealer you buy from directly. One unfortunate development on GunBroker, aside from all the recent fraudsters, is the sales tax and "convenience" fee so you have to factor that in. Account for the outrageous buyers premiums - in addition to taxes - that auction houses charge.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you, Lisa and ‘Stang.
    Of course, you both are right.
    The most attractive aspect to me about CMP guns is the provenance of an “all original” gun - which I guess appear rarely and only on the auction site.

For example, I have several “Collector Grade” Garands I bought over the years from CMP…spectacular examples in that specific grade, and that came from what I think is the most reliable source. Only better source, I guess, is from the hands of a vet who personally “brought it back”.

But, hey, the hunt is half the fun of collecting!

Jul 1, 2012
    Agree, I do find the hunt, and digging out obscure stuff, is a big part of the enjoyment!
    As is learning the history behind them.

Some of the big collections are being sold off as the older generation is passing on, and those pistols are well-documented - e.g. Charles Clawson's collection. Most seem to get passed directly to high-end collectors but you'll see them occasionally on RIA or dealer websites. Those typically aren't cheap either but you get the value in the provenance esp if it's in a book like Clawson's.

lisa788

Jan 13, 2019

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom