Smallest Maryland (non resident) legal trunk AR based gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Unfortunately, New England Firearms aka Harrington and Richardson aka H&R1871 were acquired by Marlin which was acquired by Remington which was acquired by The Freedom Group which then ceased production of the Handi-Rifle and single shot shotguns in 2015. Some of the barrels are getting hard to find.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    HBAR/heavy barrel requirements only apply to AR-15s that are chambered in .223, 5.56 or .223 wylde. 9mm, .300 BO, .45, 6.5 Grendel, whatever are fine with any barrel profile.

223 Wylde is not a caliber. It is how the chamber is reamed to allow an AR barrel to accept 223 or 556, without problems. A lot of match grade barrels are chambered 223 Wylde for this very reason. My Shilen barrel is chambered in 223 Wylde.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I think Paradigm was thinking of the 26in OAL ( in addition to min 16in bbl ) to be a Title 1 aka "normal" rifle .

**\***

Strictly speaking , Lazarus refered to.223Wylde as a Chambering, not a caliber per se . And the Wylde is indeed a chambering distinct from .223Rem or 5.56NATO .

Just sayin' , this discussion can never be resolved. There are too many unspecified subjective variables. Particularly:

Compactness of storage vs compactness in shooting configuration .

Ammo capacity, and rate of going Bang.

Time frame from storage to going Bang .

To illustrate some of broad catagories :

Most compact storage - Take single shots - H&R/ NEF , Rossi , similar, T/C contenders .

Folding Rifles - KelTec both pistol cal and .223 .

Compact rifles - In particular 16in bbl Win M92 clones ( I prefer the balance of the 20in bbl, and those are still reasonably light and compact , but this thread is obsessing on "smallest" )

And finally what everyone thought this discussion was going to go -

16In AR-15 . To be "shortest" , make that a 14.5i-ish inch with pinned muzzle device, to make final net bbl length 16in .

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Compact rifles - In particular 16in bbl Win M92 clones ( I prefer the balance of the 20in bbl, and those are still reasonably light and compact , but this thread is obsessing on "smallest" )

But nowhere near as short as a 16" barreled AR. I had a picture on Photobucket with a 20" barreled 92 next to an M4gery. Not even close.

16 In AR-15 . To be "shortest" , make that a 14.5i-ish inch with pinned muzzle device, to make final net bbl length 16in .

If Jeff really wants a compact rifle for his trunk, getting a Sub2000 would be the best deal.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    If Jeff really wants a compact rifle for his trunk, getting a Sub2000 would be the best deal.

Or a Hi Point carbine, as it's less expensive. Granted it isn't as compact as the sub2k, but if it's in a trunk it might not matter.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    9mm with a folding stock and the availability of 32 round magazines I like the CZ Scorpion :)

{there is a gun in this picture, keep looking, you will find it. :D}
    tumblr_mnorosmZZm1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

How about something like a Handi-rifle? Cheap, reliable, compact, and comes in just about every caliber you could imagine. I have one set up for suppressed 300 BO that's a very small takedown package and the 225gr rounds sound like a pellet gun.

blackoutwscope_zps2acd945e.jpg

Very cool. Which suppressor did you match with it? When they are taken off the NFA list, this may be my first purchase.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    223 Wylde is not a caliber. It is how the chamber is reamed to allow an AR barrel to accept 223 or 556, without problems. A lot of match grade barrels are chambered 223 Wylde for this very reason. My Shilen barrel is chambered in 223 Wylde.

The would you say it is .223? Or 5.56x45?

I understand it isn’t a cartridge, but it is also GRAS to be able to fire both .223 Remington and 5.56x45 which are both cartridges and fractionally different in chamber dimensions.

I am not trying to be pedantic about it, but what is the generally recognized way to label it?

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Sub2000 isn’t fun to build. But yes that’s hands down the most logical choice.

Just wondering. If someone gets a tax stamp for a SBR would that be allowed as a trunk gun in Maryland or would Maryland still treat it as a pistol?

Not that I’d get a stamp for that. I’d much rather have a suppressor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sub2000 isn’t fun to build. But yes that’s hands down the most logical choice.

Just wondering. If someone gets a tax stamp for a SBR would that be allowed as a trunk gun in Maryland or would Maryland still treat it as a pistol?

Not that I’d get a stamp for that. I’d much rather have a suppressor.

Treated as a pistol in regards to transport and carry laws. Not sure about other NFA items and Maryland law.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    If the OP lives in VA and has a VA CC Permit. Wouldn't they be able to transport a handgun in their car when traveling to MD? Assuming they are returning to VA in the same trip? If they are staying in MD, wouldn't they be able to transport the handgun to their place of temporary residence. Just not allowed to transport while not heading to or from VA or temp residence? Following all transport laws, unloaded, sep from ammo, etc.?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    If the OP lives in VA and has a VA CC Permit. Wouldn't they be able to transport a handgun in their car when traveling to MD? Assuming they are returning to VA in the same trip? If they are staying in MD, wouldn't they be able to transport the handgun to their place of temporary residence. Just not allowed to transport while not heading to or from VA or temp residence? Following all transport laws, unloaded, sep from ammo, etc.?

You could have several threads (and there have been) on the legal way to transport handguns in MD, but the simple answer is unloaded with ammo separate, out of reach. There is so much debate on what is legal and what is not, I believe the OP wishes to avoid it altogether, and thus stick to rifles. Plus, rifles have a range advantage.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Utah non resident permit
    VA resident permit

Doesn’t give me any advantage over anyone else when it comes to transporting a handgun in Maryland.

From what I understand a secured rifle in the trunk is ok with Maryland even if I stop somewhere.

With a handgun I can only go to and from my destination. No stopping anywhere unrelated to the transportation of the handgun. Plus even if within the law. Anything related to a handgun and traffic stop will most likely get me a cavity search. Just because. MD. No thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I already have an AR. I'm looking to build a toy that could double as a SHTF car gun. It would be cased and in the trunk when traveling to Maryland. Sadly handguns are no go. :(

I know this isn't the direction you're trying to go, but AFAIK, you can put a folding stock on a pre-ban AR all day long. Other evil features be damned. 14.5" barrel w/ pined and welded birdcage will also save a little length. 5.56 is the way to go.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I know this isn't the direction you're trying to go, but AFAIK, you can put a folding stock on a pre-ban AR all day long. Other evil features be damned. 14.5" barrel w/ pined and welded birdcage will also save a little length. 5.56 is the way to go.
    I don't think that's correct. Under the law you'd be creating a Copycat, which is different than a pre-ban AR.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think that's correct. Under the law you'd be creating a Copycat, which is different than a pre-ban AR.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

It's already a copycat weapon. It's pre-ban. Can you make a copycat of a copycat out of a copycat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom