• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    How are your floors holding up?

Sucks that you lost some goods. Hopefully that was the first and last time.

The floors are fine, which was a concern from the beginning. These weigh 1035lbs. each and one reason I've hesitated getting a safe mainly because I was thinking it maybe too heavy for the floors here. This house if built on pier blocks. Over the years I've acquired a lot of surplus ammo and it usually ended up what I call the gun room. I have maybe 20 unopened crates of 7.62x54R in one area now so I did the math and at roughly 65lbs a piece or 1300lbs they equaled less then one safe empty. They aren't against the wall either and I see no problems. The thing is this house was made when a 2x4 was actually 2 inches by 4 inches. The main frame of the house is 12"x12" beams all around the house and through the center in several places so what I did was crawl under the house and check where the best place to put them would be. Both are against walls that have these beams under them. Everything so far is fine. The main reason I got hit was this guy knew my schedule and knew where things were but more importantly knew the weak spots. He was a friend for years and I never would have suspected him. The house is now secured in a way that if someone wants in they'll have to break something just to get in. I'll know right away. Plus I'm doing more security upgrades that I'm not going to discuss. Anyone that really wants what you have con get it. I'm doing everything I can to make sure it's not going to be easy and so that maybe they'll get caught if they try.

WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    How are your floors holding up?

Sucks that you lost some goods. Hopefully that was the first and last time.

As a self-proclaimed, multi Sturdy safe-owning fan boy, I read the following article with interest. This was found by clicking on the middle link of the three hi-lighted below.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/#sturdy-vs-amsec-bf

Make sure to watch the imbedded vids within the article.
    Cliff notes version- there is no replacement for thick steel- regardless of manufacturer :D

That's one key thing "Thickness of steel" and I considered it in all of this for sure but the cost and weight were just a bit more than I felt comfortable with. These safes are 11ga which is on the thicker end of what this range of safes usually has. The Cannon 80 is what I looked at first. Way less money and from what I saw a lot less safe. The horror stories about customer service also turned me off as well as the fact they're assembled in Mexico. There was a lot of things for me to consider and I settled on the Liberties because it seemed like the best all around deal for my needs. At most I think what I'm going to be protected from is druggies or asshats thinking they can walk in and gather stuff up and scram. I'm here most of the time and I mean I only leave a few times a month. This guy knew my movements which is another reason I suspected him. He'd never called me before but called one day while I was at my mothers to see where I was. That's when I think he was breaking in. It was a few days later that I realized things were missing. I really liked the Sturdy and AMSEC BF lines and really really liked the Graffunders but they just seemed to be more than what I needed. Well and more than what I could afford too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom