• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irish64

Mar 13, 2013
    Monrovia
    The past couple of years I have gotten back into shooting. Grew up shooting .22lr with open sights. My daughters have started learning with a pellet rifle with fiber optic sights. Would rather teach them to shoot with notch and groove style sights. Also, I definitely want to teach them using a lever or bolt action rifle.
    What are your opinions concerning the sights in learning? My daughters are ages 12 and the youngest will soon be 9.
    Thank you for your input.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm always a proponent of starting with the basics like you and I did, notch and post.

I've seen some on here say you should start with a scope because it's easier for the beginner to hit their target. True, but you learn bad habits, your hold and check weld aren't nearly as important with a scope. As for hitting your target, just start with a row of cans or 8" pie plates at about 10 yards. Being it in close where they gain confidence, then take it farther out.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    For sure start out with iron sights at 7-10 yards. As confidence frows, move the targets out. Let me know if you need some more diagrams like

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For sure start out with iron sights at 7-10 yards. As confidence frows, move the targets out. Let me know if you need some more diagrams like
    Those are awesome diagrams!

My thought is to use basic notch-style open sights. It's not necessarily the easiest, but they really help to reinforce the fundamentals.

PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    Very nice diagrams! Do you have any for iron sights like that? I'm trying to teach my wife with mbus sights and she isn't getting it. LOL thanks in advance.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Great diagrams! I learned on iron sights myself; I now use peep/aperture sights from "Tech-sights". I was thinking about buying another plinker with a scope but I really enjoy the challenge of iron-sight shooting at a distance, 50, 100 yards.

That is awesome you want to show your daughters how to shoot and I hope to do the same with my daughter someday!

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    My plan for my kids:

1. Learn the fundamentals using iron sights (post and notch)
    2. Refine the fundamentals using peep irons on long arms
    3. Add optics as skills progress
    Similar to my thought process on driver training. Teach someone to drive on a standard transmission, they can drive almost anything (once they learn trailer basics). Teach someone to shoot on irons, they can shoot almost anything with shorter familiarization times.

(not a firearms trainer, yet...)

Irish64

Mar 13, 2013
    Monrovia
    Thanks for the advice. The diagrams are great. 1 question, in the last diagram with 3 dot sights, is the POA top center of front post or center of the dot on the post.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    My plan for my kids:

1. Learn the fundamentals using iron sights (post and notch)
    2. Refine the fundamentals using peep irons on long arms
    3. Add optics as skills progress
    Similar to my thought process on driver training. Teach someone to drive on a standard transmission, they can drive almost anything (once they learn trailer basics). Teach someone to shoot on irons, they can shoot almost anything with shorter familiarization times.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say as well (although I don't have access to a standard shift anymore because my knee can't take the pounding in traffic). Both of my daughters started with open sights and transitioned to peep sights for 50 yard bullseye work. They've started using scopes on 10/22 sporter which they consider to be "just fun" shooting.

My youngest started shooting the Ruger Rimfire Competitions with a scoped rifle but quickly opted to go back to open iron sights because "it's just faster."

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Iron Sights

I agree with the notch and post, plain black if the light is good enough.
    Your daughters have the young eyes to use them and it is, I think, the best way to learn the basics.
    Optics become more necessary for us 40+ stiff lensed bifocal or trifocal users
    DocAitch

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Iron sights to start. They will find aperture sights easier for bulls eye targets.

Find a good junior program for them. Gets them the chance to shoot regularly and with other young people, which will help keep the interest up. Most junior programs will welcome an experienced Dad or Mom who is willing to help so get involved.

Look at the NRA or CMP websites to find programs in your areas.

Mike96ZJ

Mar 1, 2009
    California, MD
    Trying to teach my boy iron sights on an air rifle. I'm finding it hard to explain to him. He is 5. The diagrams above will help, but do you guys have any advice for teaching a young boy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom