• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I know there is likely another thread for this but since i didn't find it... Does anyone know what the current turn around time to hear back from the ATF about a C&R? I just put the paperwork in the mail today so... I know I am in for some waiting. But i would just like to know about how much waiting. :innocent0

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I just called less than an hour ago. The clerk said that wait times before the shutdown were 60-90 days, and that they still haven't determined how big the backlog from the shutdown is.

Here's my timeline.
    Mailed 9/2
    Card charged 9/9
    "Received" by the clerk 9/12

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Consensus seems to be that they mail out the licenses in batches.... maybe as often as only once a month. Seems like everyone who has been patiently (or not so patiently) waiting all get them during the same few day span, then no one does for what seems like another month. At least that is what I've seen in the past based on postings on the subject. Just check your mail carefully... it just comes in a plain envelope. Then a few days to a few weeks later you'll get a big envelope from the gov't printing office with all the reference books and such.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I need to do an address change for my C&R license. Do I have to send in the original copy of my license? If I do, then, I guess, I can't make any purchases until I receive a my new license with the address change?
    Please advise and thanks!

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    I need to do an address change for my C&R license. Do I have to send in the original copy of my license? If I do, then, I guess, I can't make any purchases until I receive a my new license with the address change?
    Please advise and thanks!

The ATF website is your friend....
    FAQ:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensing.html#ffl-change-of-location

And the form with instructions you need: http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5300-38.pdf

And yes, you can't get items delivered to your new address until you get your new license.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I thought I read somewhere that you have to send in your actual original C&R 03 license, along with address change application. Isn't that correct?

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    I thought I read somewhere that you have to send in your actual original C&R 03 license, along with address change application. Isn't that correct?

I thought I read that too somewhere, but I don't think it is in the directions. I guess in doubt you can send it or just call them first. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in... has to be someone on the forum who has.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I thought I read that too somewhere, but I don't think it is in the directions. I guess in doubt you can send it or just call them first. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in... has to be someone on the forum who has.

Actually, I just found this on the actual 03 license itself - approx. half way down. Looks like, yes, one does send it in.

Another thing I noticied, I believe one has to send in the address change form to the ATF in duplicate. I hope this is correct. I'm just going to make a copy of the initial one and include it too, I guess.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Actually, I just found this on the actual 03 license itself - approx. half way down. Looks like, yes, one does send it in.

Another thing I noticied, I believe one has to send in the address change form to the ATF in duplicate. I hope this is correct. I'm just going to make a copy of the initial one and include it too, I guess.

You send only one to the ATF. The other goes to the new local LEO, just like you do when you first apply. It is in the first page/second paragraph of the instruction sheet in the PDF.

Edited to add: I just went through this and am awaiting a response from 9/12 when I sent it out. It will probably be awhile with the furlough.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Just got my new c&r in the mail. So about a month and a half for a change of address, including govt shutdown. Not too bad I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom