• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I reload 38 for my wife and I figured i would try trail boss just for poops and snickers. I didn't think it would throw well but I was pleasantly surprised to see it was VERY consistent.

I tried 50 throws ONLY ONCE.. did it measure 0.1gr over my desired charge.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Good to know. I’ve been using this powder to make some subsonic 308 ammo. I’ve just been using my auto trickler to pour the powder. Which press/powder measure are you using?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Good to know. I’ve been using this powder to make some subsonic 308 ammo. I’ve just been using my auto trickler to pour the powder. Which press/powder measure are you using?

No joke, i was shocked as snot. Obviously check yours personally but i'm using an older dillon 550.

i'll do my own research here too but about how fast are your 308s going and w/ what load? I'm curious if i can (safely) get a 110gr tac-tx bullet down to subsonic speeds. i'm told that because it's designed for slower 300 blk speeds it'll open right up even at subsonic 308. maybe a different post/thread for that.. sorry aha SQUIRREL!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I run 10gr Trailboss with 150gr bullet and get subsonic even though the reload data says it should be just over the edge of supersonic. I have to refer to notes at home as to the fps.
    It may be because I have a rifle that is the shorter barrel version (about 16") instead of a longer barrel that the test data may be based on.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I was getting right around 1000 fps with 10 grs of trail boss and 195 gr Hornady ELD-X. I got a sample pack of Berrys Bullets that are 200 gr. I havent loaded them up yet to try but would be a much cheaper alternative to the Hornady Match Bullets if they work out.

The rifle used is a Howa 1500 with 24" barrel 1-10" twist. I did not notice any tumbling or keyholeing and my groups were consistent at 50 yards. With my suppressor, this round was extremely quiet.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/300-aac-blkout-309-200gr-sp

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I was getting right around 1000 fps with 10 grs of trail boss and 195 gr Hornady ELD-X. I got a sample pack of Berrys Bullets that are 200 gr. I havent loaded them up yet to try but would be a much cheaper alternative to the Hornady Match Bullets if they work out.

The rifle used is a Howa 1500 with 24" barrel 1-10" twist. I did not notice any tumbling or keyholeing and my groups were consistent at 50 yards. With my suppressor, this round was extremely quiet.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/300-aac-blkout-309-200gr-sp

I use ELD-X in my 300 win mag but i dont think they'll expand at subsonic speeds. I havne't tested this, nor do i really have the means to do so but i suspect they wont based off an email i sent to them about expansion speed requirements/recommendations.

In contrast, the Barnes Tac-TX (made for 300blk) should still get full expansion at subsonic speeds. The question is, getting subsonic.. safely which is where trailboss comes in i think.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    The tac TX needs around 1400 fps to expand. IIRC. I know it's not subsonic, I had this thought too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom