• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Post your pics, mods, thoughts.

Fun gun. It's decently well made. Turkish. The red dot works well. I've been slowly opening up the gas ports to get it to run with lighter loads. Initially, it would only cycle with 1-1/4 oz 3-3/4 dram loads.

49282697412_8fb234cb0a_b.jpg

Last edited:

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I plan to buy one when I return to the US in 2021, but I'm keeping the thumbhole stock. I think the original stock looks good and pretty strong with the triangular configuration. Eventually, I plan to get back into 3-gun and the VR80 will replace my Remington 1100.

Have you tried shooting it with the iron front sight but with the rear aperature sight removed, like a regular bead on a shotgun?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The thumbhole stock is actually decent to shoot. Not pretty, but comfy.

If you want a bead, I bet epoxying one would would work fine. Make something that slides into a picatinny slot and has a set screw to wedge it in place? It would be pretty easy to make a rib that went on top.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Bought one from PSA with Christmas money last week during their sale....got an email late last week saying their POLICY is not to sell these to MD residents, LE or FFL only. Great..... so now am going through my FFL to have them order it for me. Its gonna cost me a few bucks more, but should have in the next week or so.

Waffled between this and a Saiga pattern AK shotgun. Magazine change without having to rock into place cemented getting this one for me. Overall reviews on them look good. Looking forward to having this to play with soon.

Plan is to use in 3-Gun... I know it bumps me to Open class, but don't care, I'm not gonna win anyway, just wanna have fun...will probably put a red dot of some kind on it at some point.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Post your pics, mods, thoughts.

Fun gun. It's decently well made. Turkish. The red dot works well. I've been slowly opening up the gas ports to get it to run with lighter loads. Initially, it would only cycle with 1-1/4 oz 3-3/4 dram loads.

49282697412_8fb234cb0a_b.jpg

I believe the manufacturer has a recommended break in using high brass loads.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I did one, and a good cleaning/lubing. It still wouldn't cycle anything under 1 1/4 oz, but did loosen up a bit. Yes, this was with the light load gas cylinder.

Found a YouTube video talking about mods, and apparently early guns were shipped with smaller gas ports 0.107" or so. Later, the gas ports were made larger. I ended up getting one of the 0.107" guns. Ultimately a 32 index bit proved about right as it now barely cycles the bulk packs. Might go slightly larger.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Are there any other Rock Island VR80 owners who can chime in with your experiences with this shotgun?

Sorta resurrecting this thread over the others resulting after search for “VR80” in title (the others are mostly querying MD legality) as I see a LGS chain store has some new in the box for $550 and after reading online reviews AND talking in person with several owners / prior owners I am just plain conflicted.

I was thinking about getting one for $550 (I mean wth, I recently dropped $580 on 9mm Ruger LCR, owwww!) and then, after confirming good reliable functioning, etc. loading up on a dozen or so of the 9-round mags (“maybe” one or two 19-rd mags , I can’t look at those without thinking of an four legged mammal that needs its nails trimmed horribly!)

Intent is driven by 25% use for 3-Gun at our home range (maybe as a backup for 3Gun shotgun - I have a Tavor Ts-12 we have yet to shoot); 25% conversation piece; 25% novelty; 25% just one more thing to hand down to future generations (mainly the children of my nephews and nieces)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input based on actual ownership / shooting / hands on experience ….

ETA: one thing I AM SURE OFF and that is if I ever do get a mag fed semi 12ga I’d prefer it cycle 1oz loads … (I’m not even sure if our still NIB Tavor TS-12 will do that but, it’s in the stable and not getting kicked out now, haha)

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I just picked up a VR80 in titanium blue. I also bought the monster mags :D

Attachments

• DF392738-A3DE-4437-9A71-A6B955C03699.jpg
      DF392738-A3DE-4437-9A71-A6B955C03699.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 181
    • F92149B1-3941-4606-91CD-E736620D0870.jpg
      F92149B1-3941-4606-91CD-E736620D0870.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 180

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    The shotgun comes with a modified choke, full choke, and cylinder bore choke. My gun didn’t come with the choke removal tool, it was missing out of the box. Anyone know what choke comes preinstalled? I might try to fiddle with it later this week.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Typically chokes have notches on the end that indicate what they are so you can tell what’s in the gun.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Typically chokes have notches on the end that indicate what they are so you can tell what’s in the gun.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD

I own a half a dozen shotguns, but as silly as it sounds, I just shoot them and have never even bothered to think about chokes. Reading up on this one, I figured it wouldn’t be a bad idea to figure it out.

I will take a look at it and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the info!

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads