• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I’ve owned a ‘sporterized’ Mauser for a number of years but have never taken the time to decipher its stamps & markings. Furthermore, I’m unsure if it’s chambered for 7.92x57 or something else.

If I post a few pics, are there MDS members on here who are well versed in Mauser details?

I’m a new member and hope this is ok to ask.

Andreas

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    You have to be careful with ‘sporterized’ Mausers, a lot of them have been converted to other calibers like 308. Win.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    Here are a few pics. Please let me know if additional pics would help clarify what I have here. I also ordered some Cerrosafe in order to make a chamber mold.

22E91F47-1083-4321-8306-B552C87EFC08_zpstwzrxmrr.jpg

B30CA98B-39FE-424A-A851-AB80604612D1_zpsw8hwhmtk.jpg

IMG_7727_zpsngegjypz.jpg

IMG_7729_zpsbx1ectat.jpg

IMG_7728_zpswaktzh5x.jpg

IMG_7730_zpsbwkyxbbs.jpg

7E18BD7B-CEB4-46F6-A650-CBB44A65F592_zpsusdhbvoc.jpg

IMG_7732_zpszlxpilsu.jpg

IMG_7733_zpsew3clc6j.jpg

E0924048-5EC2-4B6E-BB3B-D23BF7B9FB4B_zpsjrtgsutt.jpg

IMG_7735_zpsvttgfw9d.jpg

Andreas

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I say Russian Capture K98K that when Sporterized had some of the hot dip blue removed.
    someone ground down the 2nd digit of the mfg year
    Only thing is there are a number of bolt serial numbers that match the action which I have not seen with Russian captures.
    Much to learn I have.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I say Russian Capture K98K that when Sporterized had some of the hot dip blue removed.

I believe that "bcd" refers to Gustloff-Werke, Werk Weimar, Weimar.

Any thoughts on how old the sporterized change may be? And how old the Lyman peephole sight is?

I've never shot it, so I hope that I can cast an accurate chamber mold and go from there.

Andreas

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It was not a Soviet capture, but it probably did see some postwar use by a military that defaced some markings.

It has the original barrel, so it's likely still 8mm Mauser. The only other caliber I could imagine it being would be 8mm-06.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Just a gentle nudge in case anyone else can offer thoughts on this Mauser.

Andreas

I think its covered but what you have is a German K98K
    BCD is the factory.

Here is one that was not molested

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/excellent-mauser-k98-bcd-4.html

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?283365-New-to-K98s-questions-about-my-bcd-4

Its going to be worth much less cause the sporterizing and the mismatched parts. Its not really that collectable by most C&R guys. Others can chime in but I'd value it at $300. Some may value it more, but not me.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I think its covered but what you have is a German K98K
    BCD is the factory.

Here is one that was not molested

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/excellent-mauser-k98-bcd-4.html

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?283365-New-to-K98s-questions-about-my-bcd-4

Its going to be worth much less cause the sporterizing and the mismatched parts. Its not really that collectable by most C&R guys. Others can chime in but I'd value it at $300. Some may value it more, but not me.

Thank you. I need to cast the chamber to verify what it wants so I can take it out and give it some use. :)

Andreas

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I'd be really surprised if the rifle was something other than 8mm Mauser. The barrel may have been shortened a little bit when the front sight was replaced. Making sporters out of old military rifles was a really popular thing to do in the few decades after the war. Since the receiver was drilled for the sight and the barrel may be shortened, it is probably not worth trying to restore to original. If there is an import marking on the barrel maybe near the muzzle, it may have been imported after 1968.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I'd be really surprised if the rifle was something other than 8mm Mauser. The barrel may have been shortened a little bit when the front sight was replaced. Making sporters out of old military rifles was a really popular thing to do in the few decades after the war. Since the receiver was drilled for the sight and the barrel may be shortened, it is probably not worth trying to restore to original. If there is an import marking on the barrel maybe near the muzzle, it may have been imported after 1968.

I finally made the time to cast the chamber today. Comparing an actual 8mm round to the casting, I’d say that’s what I have. Pics below.

Its unfortunate that it was sporterized but this one looks very well done. It will probably be a nice shooter.

I purchased it from a friend years ago. The price was right, and well, it had Mauser guts. My father has an original, well-worn Spanish Mauser that I’ve shot a few times.

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom