• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    In April 1981, ESQUIRE MAGAZINE published an anti-gun article entitled, “Fifty Million Handguns.”

A few months later, a fellow by the name of Chip Elliot wrote a response. It so impressed the editors that it was published in the September 1981 issue as the cover story.

Mr. Elliot’s comments are just as relevant to the gun issue as they were the day they were written — and his effervescent authenticity was deeply appreciated by the magazine's gun owning readers.

I lost no time years ago filing the article and losing it! Years later I searched for it on the Internet but couldn't locate it. But about two years after that I found it in a box. Scanning it, I created a Word Document and then a PDF. I released it on several gun bulletin boards (which is what we called them back then) and every few years I re-release it because it's such a good read.

Check it out and send it to your friends. Hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• Letter From An Angry Reader.pdf
      226.3 KB · Views: 984

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Thank you for posting this. I read this article maybe ten years ago, and have never forgotten it. I lost track of it though, and had no idea how to find it. I'll be sure to not lose it again.

It is a very good piece, worth reading. It stays with you.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Good to re-read it. Thanks for posting.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for sharing a very nice article. The deeply personal nature of the writing made it come across with so much more intensity and feeling than other articles that talk of street crime in the abstract. But I do not know if I would have continued to live in Venice CA if I had gone through half the things that he and his wife went through.

Another thing that struck me is that while gun laws for law abiding citizens have gotten so much tougher in CA since the 1970's, we all know that the crime in cities like LA has not gotten any better. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Cal68

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    More importantly, I think, it should be read by every non gun owner as well. A terrific read. I’d be interested in reading the article that provoked this one.

The article that provoked this one is from, Esquire (magazine) April 1981, by Adam Smith “Fifty Million Handguns pgs 23-23-24.

I have searched for the article, but I cannot find it posted without paying for it.

Maybe others will have better luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom