• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rafster63

Aug 1, 2017
    Early October an armed robber in North Carolina entered a mom & pop store to rob it and was confronted by a legally armed customer that holds a CCW license. No shots fired, but the CCW holder had one of those CCW badges and displayed it clipping it on his belt holding the assailant at gunpoint until police showed up. He announced to the other customers he was legally armed and then put the badge on his hip. Police came in and apparently were cool with it, since he never pretended to impersonate a law enforcement officer, and they were able to identify him as the good guy with a gun...
    When interviewed by the police he said that he has had his CCW badge since he started carrying, and hoped he never had to use either the gun or the badge. They were always concealed and no one (except some in his family and some friends) knew he carried... until the day he had to use both...

Thoughts? Good idea to have one those badges in Maryland for a situation like this?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I would rather pull the gun, if needed.

The badge is nothing more than a feel good measure to stroke a person's ego.

DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    The badge may be a good way for Law Enforcement to readily identify the “good guy with a gun” from a potential threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Popcorn-guy_zps7228b965.gif

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Maryland law regarding "imitation" badges

Under Section 3-502 of the Public Safety Article, it is a criminal offense to "for the purpose of deception, have a simulation or imitation" of a badge "as is worn by a police officer." Conviction is punishable by up to two years and/or $2,000.

In the type of scenario you describe, the badge is not displayed "for the purpose of deception," but it is not hard to imagine some prosecutor deciding otherwise and bringing a charge under this statute. It would seem preferable for the permit holder to hold his permit up in plain sight as the LEOs arrive, and of course to follow all LEO commands regarding the firearm.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    There is an old saying when i was a kid ................................do you want a badge or a chest to pin it on ................................That goes for this story .

Hattie

Sep 18, 2012
    Ah, the perennial CCW badge thread!

A CCW badge (and not one of the cheap tacky-looking mass produced ones) might (emphasis on “might”) have some theoretical value if worn next to the holstered gun to distract (dare one say “fake out”) passers-by who might glimpse an inadvertently exposed weapon.

Such an intention would by its very nature, however, seem to increase the likelihood of running afoul of laws against pretending to be the police. Better to apply the maxim that “concealed means concealed.”

Hoping that a CCW badge will serve as a “friend or foe” identification device seems very optimistic in light of the study a few years ago demonstrating that targets with badges (particularly belt level badges) frequently turned into bullet magnets for the law enforcement officers being tested. (Neck badges fared somewhat better.)

Massad Ayoob has some excellent suggestions for reducing the likelihood of “blue on blue” incidents and how to behave in the presence of responding officers. They are worth looking up.

Another thought given the police study mentioned above would be to wear the permit on a neck chain and expose it where circumstances indicate. One advantage of this approach is that one can display the permit if police demand it, without lots of reaching and moving and digging in pockets.

In the scenario described (holding an armed robber at gunpoint), devoting time and attention to fiddle with a CCW badge as if it conferred some sort of authority or magical protection would seem a very bad idea. Among other things, such actions could increase the likelihood of a (culpable) negligent discharge.

There also are negative consequences of carrying a badge if it is discovered during, e.g., a robbery. There are police who do not carry badges off duty for this reason.

Rafster63

Aug 1, 2017
    Link to the Maryland General Assembly article on Public Safety, Section §3–502
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=3-502&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

Pay special attention to

(c) Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, a person may not have, use, wear, or display a uniform, shield, button, ornament, badge, identification, or shoulder patch adopted by the Department of State Police to be worn by its members, insignia, or emblem of office, as is worn by a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or constable.
    (d) A person may not, for the purpose of deception, have a simulation or imitation of an article described in subsection (c) of this section as is worn by a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or constable.

Badges... https://youtu.be/CGcVhoHdRFo

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Screw that badge. What does one say when "going into action"? Concealed carrier here!
    First of all,what matters is getting that weapon down when when a cop demands you to during or after the action.

If I see you shooting at an actual bad guy, I may or may not shoot you after I shoot the bad guy before you do. :)

Bottom line, you know who the good guys with guns are simply by their actions. No stinkin' badge speaks for you in a shooting scenario. Especially if it's a bad guy toting 1 trying to feign as a good guy.

If you are wearing one of these and you draw down on me to get me to drop my weapon, I will ventilate you. My Mexican standoffs don't last long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom