Getting a Utah permit, what is needed to add PA and DE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Delaware does have a NR permit. It's only good for 30 days and you need a really really really good reason to get it.

As a DE NR, UT NR permits are honored in DE for you at this time. http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/criminal/concealedweapons.shtml

Curious about this, the link doesn't say anything about the NR permits.

Reason I ask is since the DE courts have been somewhat friendly to gun rights, perhaps a lawsuit for a NR permit might be something the gun rights groups may want to consider if they need extra avenues to produce a split with regards to carry.

http://courts.delaware.gov/superior/weapons.stm

(k) The Attorney General shall have the discretion to issue, on a limited basis, a temporary license to carry concealed a deadly weapon to any individual who is not a resident of this State and whom the Attorney General determines has a short-term need to carry such a weapon within this State in conjunction with that individual's employment for the protection of person or property. Said temporary license shall automatically expire 30 days from the date of issuance and shall not be subject to renewal, and must be carried at all times while within the State. However, nothing contained herein shall prohibit the issuance of a 2nd or subsequent temporary license. The Attorney General shall have the authority to promulgate and enforce such regulations as may be necessary for the administration of such temporary licenses. No individual shall be issued more than 3 temporary licenses.

(l) All applications for a temporary license to carry a concealed deadly weapon made pursuant to subsection (k) of this section shall be in writing and shall bear a notice stating that false statements therein are punishable by law.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Thanks! I'm just curious how strict they are in regards to this NR permit. I know the state is technically may-issue even for resident permits but I believe they basically operate as a de facto shall-issue?

It's a process. It can take a while to get one. It depends how long you've been in the state, how old you are, what they "have" on you, driving record, do you have permits in other states, and even who taught your class.

My father (mid 60's) had his card in hand I think 8 days after all of his paperwork was submitted (Sussex County). Others can take up to 3 or 4 months (the further North you apply the longer it takes).

The NR permits last for a maximum of 30 days. From what I understand it is just a letter from the AG's office that you have keep on you while carrying. I don't think just any Joe Schmo is getting one.

I guess you can call DE a de facto shall issue but the hoops you have to jump to get it are a little excessive (fingerprinting/classroom/100 rounds live fire/5 referral letters/post notice in major newspaper with name and home address that you are applying for CDW permit).

Pgas32

Mar 10, 2015
    Cecil
    BTW, TX non-res is still valid in PA. Only downside is you have to go to TX for the training.

The upside is, you have to go to TX for the training. :)

I just flew to Dallas to take the CHL class this last week. $100 round trip from BWI, and I used points to pay for the hotel. Way more effort than should be required, but it's my/our only option if we want to carry concealed in PA. I went thru the Texas Handgun Academy - it was OK, but the price via Groupon ($39) was right.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I just flew to Dallas to take the CHL class this last week. $100 round trip from BWI, and I used points to pay for the hotel. Way more effort than should be required, but it's my/our only option if we want to carry concealed in PA. I went thru the Texas Handgun Academy - it was OK, but the price via Groupon ($39) was right.

I'm in the same boat, I travel to PA 6-8 times a year and have Utah and FLA NR which are no good. I am planning to go to Dallas as well in January to complete the process. As I recall you have to do the following in this order, correct?

* Attend the live class and receive proficiency cert TR100
    * Submit online application
    * Attend the morphtrust meeting

Where did you do the morphtrust? If I fly out of BWI early and get into DFW by 11am, can I get everything done in 1.5 days so I spend only 1 night and return the following evening? thanks!

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

What other hoops? And how hard was it to accomplish?

I figured I would head to San Antonio, as I like the area. Some good eatin' and the TX CHL. :)

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    See the 3 key bullets above.

I also inquired last Spring with Texas regarding the Morphtrust, although that is available in other locations (VA and others as I recall) Texas requires it be fulfilled IN Texas

Pgas32

Mar 10, 2015
    Cecil
    I'm in the same boat, I travel to PA 6-8 times a year and have Utah and FLA NR which are no good. I am planning to go to Dallas as well in January to complete the process. As I recall you have to do the following in this order, correct?

* Attend the live class and receive proficiency cert TR100
    * Submit online application
    * Attend the morphtrust meeting

Where did you do the morphtrust? If I fly out of BWI early and get into DFW by 11am, can I get everything done in 1.5 days so I spend only 1 night and return the following evening? thanks!

When you complete your online application and pay the state of TX, you are given the option to sign up for fingerprints right then. So I went with the Morphotrust at 1140 Empire Central Dr, Suite 570, Dallas TX just based on its proximity to where my CHL class was going to be. I landed at DFW at 1PM, had my fingerprints already scheduled for 3:30, and had time to grab dinner before my 6PM CHL class. I had an 0700 flight out the next morning.

So to answer your question, yes you can easily accomplish everything while only staying one night. I went home with my CHL-100 form in hand, and mailed it back right away. Now I wait!

What other hoops? And how hard was it to accomplish?

I figured I would head to San Antonio, as I like the area. Some good eatin' and the TX CHL. :)

No real hoops to jump through. Just make sure you have your application and payment completed and Morphotrust appointment scheduled beforehand. A photo for the ID card was taken during the fingerprint appointment.

The class is pretty straightforward. A lot of it focused on TX law, but the written exam was 25 questions and basically all common sense. The live fire requirement is 50 rounds and shouldn't be an issue for anyone who's shot a gun before. I chose to rent a gun because it was cheaper than paying to check a bag with the airline.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    When you complete your online application and pay the state of TX, you are given the option to sign up for fingerprints right then. So I went with the Morphotrust at 1140 Empire Central Dr, Suite 570, Dallas TX just based on its proximity to where my CHL class was going to be. I landed at DFW at 1PM, had my fingerprints already scheduled for 3:30, and had time to grab dinner before my 6PM CHL class. I had an 0700 flight out the next morning.

So to answer your question, yes you can easily accomplish everything while only staying one night. I went home with my CHL-100 form in hand, and mailed it back right away. Now I wait!

No real hoops to jump through. Just make sure you have your application and payment completed and Morphotrust appointment scheduled beforehand. A photo for the ID card was taken during the fingerprint appointment.

The class is pretty straightforward. A lot of it focused on TX law, but the written exam was 25 questions and basically all common sense. The live fire requirement is 50 rounds and shouldn't be an issue for anyone who's shot a gun before. I chose to rent a gun because it was cheaper than paying to check a bag with the airline.

I have free checked bags since I have status so that wasn't an issue for me. I wanted to carry one anyway, and I couldn't do that with a rental.

GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    An interesting tidbit fromthe Lawrence County, Pa Sheriff's website:

3. Applicants must be 21 years of age and a Lawrence County resident or a resident of another state in possession
    of a License To Carry Firearms or similar license for that state.

I was hoping to apply when I was home later this week but since I don't have a MD permit, ergo sum...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom