• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2013
    If I purchased another Ar15 next week and did my 77r and 4473 will I need a HQL to pick the rifle up whenever the background check is completed or is it only for HANDGUNS?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Sorry for being so abrupt, but it is a "handgun" qualification license. If it is not a "handgun" then you do not need the license.

ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry for being so abrupt, but it is a "handgun" qualification license. If it is not a "handgun" then you do not need the license.

I had two separate clerks at BPS tell me that an HQL would be needed to pick up a lower after Oct 1. Something to do with the grandfathered lowers still being considered regulated firearms and therefor requiring the HQL.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I had two separate clerks at BPS tell me that an HQL would be needed to pick up a lower after Oct 1. Something to do with the grandfathered lowers still being considered regulated firearms and therefor requiring the HQL.

They were incorrect.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    If I purchased another Ar15 next week and did my 77r and 4473 will I need a HQL to pick the rifle up whenever the background check is completed or is it only for HANDGUNS?

In this case, for once, Maryland had the title make sense. So the "Handgun" in "Handgun Qualification License" really does only mean "handgun".

No HQL needed to pick up any kind of rifle post Oct 1. Whether your dealer agrees with you or not is a matter of speculation.

01Stroker4x4

Dec 3, 2012
    Fallston, MD
    For what this is worth.. Spoke to a lady at MSP licensing division this morning, HQL will be required to take possession of any regulated firearm after Oct. 1st. Which is convenient because the paperwork on my AK will not be filled out until Monday :).

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    For what this is worth.. Spoke to a lady at MSP licensing division this morning, HQL will be required to take possession of any regulated firearm after Oct. 1st. Which is convenient because the paperwork on my AK will not be filled out until Monday :).

you were given inaccurate information.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011

I was told the complete opposite last week by a member of MSP.

fav453

May 29, 2013
    Essex
    This requirement doesn't make sense. But once again people are playing it safe and dating an HQL is needed, like not doing on time releases without the ND.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry, I don't have it. I suggest calling the MSP dept of licensing tomorrow and asking them.

Would you mind providing the name of the dealer in a PM so we can see if they will provide a copy of the letter they have?

Since the letter is from the AG, it should be on their website, but no such letter exists on the website.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

In a round about way, she's correct, but only in the sense that the only regulated firearms left post Oct 1 are handguns.

Any currently regulated long rifle is banned post Oct 1, but banned items may still be picked up without any extra paperwork.

Makes perfect sense, right?

TheRealSundance

AK47..All you need
    Oct 21, 2008
    Would you mind providing the name of the dealer in a PM so we can see if they will provide a copy of the letter they have?

Since the letter is from the AG, it should be on their website, but no such letter exists on the website.

I sent him an email

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom